“Fantastic!”

Caribbean Village Agador
Ranked #29 of 79 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Like a lot of people have already stated “you get what you pay for” therefore, if you are looking for a five star hotel then book a five star hotel. The staff at the Caribbean Village are very welcoming, friendly and eager to please. The food was very good you have different choices of restaurants so you can never get bored. Ok the décor is a bit dated but still very comfortable and clean (Rooms are cleaned every day and sheets /towels changed every day).

Mikey (First Choice holiday rep) is a credit to First choice. I had a problem with one of the stall holders within the complex and Mikey was efficient and very professional when handling the situation.

If you are a budget and want a nice accommodation to stay in Agadir I would highly recommend The Caribbean Village.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Darren W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,066)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Booked this for a quick bit of sunshine at Easter. I was a little worried when we arrived but it didn't look too bad and although we did not like it to start with we ended up having a good time. It is a 3* hotel but I have given it 4* for it's value for money.

I booked this hotel with Skytours through Thomson but it was changed to First Choice without my knowledge just before we travelled, along with the entire hotel description. The description now appears to be correct but when I booked it, it definitely did not say it was 2 hotels sharing facilities. However, any gripe I have with Thomson over false advertising is nothing to do with the hotel itself. (for anyone who does want to book though, Thomson are selling this end of the hotel and Thomas Cook are also selling it and the Tamelt end. Thomas Cook however are selling it for £200 more than Thomson though - July - so do your homework before booking).

The hotel is The Agadour rooms and the Tamelt rooms (booked as separate properties) both sharing all the same facilities except receptions, each end has their own; the Tamelt being simply a desk in an alcove and the Carribean end being an actual entrance hall leading to a bar.

The rooms we were given at first were near reception and looked out over the main road and the nightclub and a bar outside the hotel that had music blaring until 4 am and beeping taxis/motorbikes etc. We survived for most of the first week as my teenage kids had been given a 4 ppl room but eventually had to ask to move. Wish we had done it sooner as we were then given 2 interconnecting rooms of the same size at the other sode of the pool with bigger balconies and better views. Room decor still the same, the orange and purple. The weird thing was that these rooms had flat screen tvs and air con units whereas the previous rooms didnt but the paintwork on the doors and windows was flaking but was fresh in the other rooms. Anyway, the only downside to these rooms was they were near the pool (loud music until midnight) and that being on the top of the building the seagulls made a hell of a racket around 6am. (Bring some earplugs). All the people we made friends with were staying in the Tamelt end (supposedly the budget end but I could see no difference in the standard of rooms and actually as the Tamelt rooms were further from the main pool/entertainment etc I expect they were quieter.

The main thing we did not like originally (apart from lack of sleep) was that for the first week we were there most of the sports activities did not take place due to, as my son put it, the hotel being like an old people's home. The entire place seemed to be full of French people well over the age of 60. Luckily once the English Easter holidays started the following week the OAPS all depated in a hurry and were replaced by younger guests - my duaghte joked that the old people's home had been turned into a playschool. However some more people between the ages of 15 and 40 did arrive and the place livened up. On Good Friday the entertainment staff seemed to suddenly go up a gear and all the activities began to take place, with, thankfully enough able bodied people to take part.

All of this however is not any fault of the hotel as they cannot help who books the hotel. The staff here were amazing. So kind and friendly and couldn't do enough to help you and make your holiday pleasant. I had read most of the reviews on here slating the staff and saying they were only nice to the French and people who tipped them and that is complete rubbish. Having travelled a lot in North Africa I was pretty sure tips were tips and not bribes and was proved correct. If you were polite and friendly to the staff you were treated the same in return. After receiving good service for a few days we then tipped and the staff were very grateful and still continued with the same standard of service. As for only being interested in the French guests, also not true. Obviously they staff would have longer conversations with the French guests because it is a French speaking country and it is much easier to converse in your own language. If lazy Brits who only speak English are going to be offended then they would do better to stay home in the UK and go to Butlins. If you cannot dredge up some schoolboy French and make an effort, do not blame the staff for your inabilities.

The main restaurant has the buffet and lovely staff. Aziz looked after us every night and a lovely chap (with a goatee, name escapes me) every morning. Tarik makes the most lovely salads and Mohammed and his sidekick do the meat and fish - even roast pork a few nights to my daughter's delight. Yes the tables aren't a;ways cleared fast enough and yes there is a shortage of chine and cutlery - tea cups most notably; there was a lovely chap we name the cup monster as he was always on the look out for cups to clear so they could be washed. There is food for everyone here, even the typical moaners who will only eat pasta and chips are catered for. The only thing the main restaurant falls short of is at breakfast time as breakfast is definitely aimed at the French who would all sit there dipping bread into their bowl of hot chocolate. There are omelettes freshly made to order (fab chef been there for years ) and a stack of pancakes plus cheese/ham/croissants etc but there is definitely no english breakfast so for anyone who can't live without their baked bean. and sausages this is not the place for you.

We did try one of the extra restaurants, the Moroccan one but each of the extra restaurants has a set menu so although we enjoyed the meal, as we had been to Morocco before we preferred to stick to the main restaurant with all the staff we had made friends with and by the 2nd week, friends we had met there on their holiday.

The pool bar is open from 1030 until midnight and you can also get tea/coffe/hot choc as well as soft and alcoholic drinks. Diss was the barman most often there and was always ready with a smile and there was a sweet young lad usually there in the evenings that couldn't do enough to help.

The entertainment staff were, with the odd exception, lovely and would happily party away in the evenings with the guests in between the shows. As for the shows, some were good, some were ok and some were bad but the bar is still running so you don't have to watch if you don't want to although I have to suggest you watch the Mr Agadir show; my husband was dragged up as a contestant and the whole show made me laugh so much I cried. Also if they can't get enough women (best if they don't actually) the following week to do the Miss Agadir comp then they use men instead which is just about the funniest thing you will ever see! - Thanks heaps to 'Chantelle' from Essex for the entertainment, never knew a bloke in a dress could be such a scream. Unfortunately due to the regular oldie guests, ballroom dancing to whatever the music is seems to be the order of the day but after most of them had left and after much good natured harassment of the entertainment boss things became a little younger but beware, it is the entertainment staff's job to drag you up to dance - much to my teenage son's delight at being passed around all the pretty young entertainment girls but do be prepared for a strategic trip to the bar or bathroom if you wish to escape. All the girls were lovely, can't quote them by name as my son had nicknames for them all. A special mention also for Adil, one of the entertainment guys whom everyone loved and could not do enought to make your holiday wonderful even to the point of asking to work his only day off of the week as it was our last day and he wanted to be ther; he wasn't allowed but turned up to join in with the evening. Definitely above and beyond the call of duty and I have just realise that although the service staff get tipped, the entertainment people do not so if you're reading this and have booked to go, please right this defecit.

There are several pools but they are not heated after mid March so were very cold but were actually nice once you were in; don't try to get in carefully or you never will, just dive in and enjoy. The man who sorts out the sunbeds is an absolute dream for every holidaymaker. Once he knew where we were sitting he would organise our sunbeds ready for our arrival and put out a parasol for us and after thanking him and giving him a small tip at the end of the first week we discovered on oversleeping later in the week and expecting our sunbeds to be gone, that 'pool guy' (never did get his mame, elder one of the 2) had reserved our beds for us with his own things. He is also a marvel with the weather; in spring the weather can be a bit suspect in the mornings but this guy never failed to tell us what time the clouds would clear and when to get comfy on our sunbeds. He even advised us which days were best to visit the souk etc to take best advantage of the weather. The one thing I did not appreciate was seeing topless women over 40yrs of age and in at least 2 cases, over 60! This is very disrespectful to the local culture and they would have been better off in Benidorm rather than North Africa.

The souk; if you have been to Marrakech then don't bother unless you are desperate to go. The tourist shops in the hotel (about 8 plus a few extra market stalls each day) have the same stuff but only the reasonably decent stuff so it saves you hunting in the souk although you will need to bargain harder as the prices start higher. Obviously with Agadir being razed in 1960 there is none of the historical feel to the souk like in Marrakech as with the rest of the town it is all recently built and not very attractive to look at.

The beach; plenty of people we met loved the beach a couple of hundred yards down a lane from the hotel. Not my thing, I prefer the tropical beaches but it's there and you can walk a long way if you wish although I prefer to respect the local customs and not parade around in public in shorts and offend the locals there were many people doing so without any hassle. You can apparently walk to the marina where there are shops but one of the waiters told us not to bother as you could buy the same things in the souk for a 1/4 of the price.

This is not a 5* property and if you are expecting one then you will be disappointed. It is however very deserving of it's 3 stars and we enjoyed our stay enough that if our new friends were returning then we would do so too. (Indeed one set of friends was on their 5th visit and another their 7th!) The staff make this hotel the friendly place it is. Do make an effort with your French and not expect everyone to do English - although most can and do, indeed the sweet young lad at the evening pool bar speaks 8 languages so shame on us Brits - and do tip people, this hotel is very cheap for what you get and a few tips should not be begrudged. If you want cheap all inclusive sunshine with a decent selection of activities then this is the place for you. If you want ancient culture then not the place for you. - oh there are trips you can do but I would absolutely NOT recommend using 1st Choice as their prices are a rip off and nearly double the price other people were quoted by their companies.

13  Thank Trolleycase
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We (myself, husband and 2 daughters aged 9 and 11) stayed this Easter. The room was clean and comfortable, the grounds lovely and despite some of the reviews I read on here, we thought the food was very good for 3 star. Unfortunately the pools were not heated when we stayed as it was after 21st March, the heating cut off point. I found the water too cold to use the pools but the kids still swam.
The room was cleaned every day and our cleaner was friendly but not in an intrusive way. I didn't feel she was waiting for a tip but she did appreciate it when we gave her some money. The comments on this site about the waiting and bar staff giving preferential treatment to people who tip is true, however I never found it a problem to get a restaurant table or a drink at the bar even if I hadn't tipped. Plates and glasses do run out in the restaurant as mentioned in other reviews, but are replaced immediately and it is not a problem.
I did join in one of the animation events, the Moroccan fashion show but mostly we just did our own thing. The animation team do work hard and try to get you to join in but you are not forced into anything!
The cost of room tax was 14 dirhams, per person, per night which I thought was good as we had been told it could be between £1 and £3 (at each hotels discretion).
Watch the shop keepers in the hotel as they quote ridiculous prices for their goods! The opening offer for 4 bracelets was 750 dirhams and I ended up paying 100 in the end so the rule of thumb expect to pay half of what they originally quote doesn't seem right in these shops! The exception being the sportswear shop where the prices were fixed. 120 dirhams for Converse boots - we ended up with lots!
Over all we really enjoyed the holiday, you wouldn't go there to visit Agadir as there's nothing special about the area but if you want a nice holiday in the sun then I would highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the bar /amphitheatre are noisy until 11.45 pm
6  Thank Bantamgirl
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just returned from an Easter break at the Caribbean Village which adjoins the Tamlelt. Weather was lovely apart from the odd shower which soon turned to sunshine, but the evenings are very cold this time of year, although we did sit out every night we did need jackets etc. Accommodation is a bit tired but the grounds are very pretty and well kept, rooms spacious, some have bigger balconies than others. We changed rooms after 2 nights as the music from the night club was noisy till 4am and we could hear the beat! We were given 3 new rooms on the opposite side so we werent bothered by it anymore. The staff are lovely, but the shop keepers on sight are a bit of a pain trying to get you inside to buy stuff you dont really need! Some nights you just had to run the gauntlet as it does get tiring after a few days! The animation team are like nothing we have ever experienced before and we have had some fab holidays over the years. They include everyone without making a nuisance of themselves and get people up dancing, quizzes, taking part in the stage shows and all sorts. There were 54 of us altogether ranging from age 5 to late 50's and everybody enjoyed it. The food was OK, we never went hungry and only a few of us had a dodgy tummy. The salads are gorgeous at lunchtimes. Everything is washed in bottled water so salads are safe to eat. Also the outside snack bar is open from 1-4pm and does rolls with fries and drinks (soft, beer or wine) which we did prefer. At the moment that is the only place you can eat outside not sure if that changes in high season. Plenty of sun beds and umbrellas, hotel was only at half capacity so queuing for anything wasn't really a problem. Staff friendly and really appreciated a tip here and there. I was worried before I went as some reviews have been terrible over the winter but we actually had a far better time than we ever expected. You can eat in the themed restaurants and need to book it the day before at the special booth, some are better than others. We loved the Moroccan one the best, for me the Japanese was the worst but its just down to preference really. Just remember it is 3 star and not a luxury hotel and you do get what you pay for, keep that in mind and you will enjoy it too! I actually felt quite emotional saying good-bye to everyone and the teenage girls with us just didnt want to leave Kamel, Aadhil and Sofian from the animation team, they really are an asset to the Caribbean Village. Top tip dont forget your hairdryer as not one supplied. Take plenty of sun cream as ridiculous prices if you run out! Snacks outside meal time such as waffles, ice-cream and panninis have to be paid for but you probably wont have room for them anyway! Have a great time!

Room Tip: rooms around the main pool are noisy till midnight, but then everything is turned off and most peopl...
5  Thank paulandSally
Reviewed April 15, 2013

After reading various reports about this hotel we were all a bit worried and even tried to change it, but couldn't, so we stuck with it. I can honestly say that I really dont know what these people expect out of a budget holiday. We found the hotel grounds were spotless, the staff were all friendly and very helpful (apart from one barman ) and the food was ok. The rooms were spacious if a little dark, and a reall bonus was that you could get BBC1, BBC2 and ITV. There was always something to eat, and I am a fussy vegetarian, so no complaints, The only down side was the steps, they were everywhere and unfortunately I ended up at the local hospital after tripping up, so keep looking where your going. Obviously if you want 5 star (english) quality dont go here, but if you want a really good holiday in the sun at a reasonable cost, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LindaG68
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have just got back from two weeks at this hotel. We were due to travel at Christmas but had to postpone until Easter. The Weather was much better and a great improvement from our wintery spring. Our hotel room was basic but cleaned well and the shower was great. Paying to hire the safe was a shock but as we had so many electrical items we decided that we could not take the risk not to. Of the 6 restaurants, 5 are themed and open at 7pm with a set menu. (this was a bit later than I would have like to eat. The Steakhouse was good and we went 3 times, the Pizza one was laking in meat but OK, the Chinese was not so good for the kids, the Japanese to our complete surprise turned out to be the best so we we went there many times. Good food, great service and a willingness to be flexible to the requests for slight variation. Ask for diet Coke and they will get it. The grounds and pools are great fit for a higher star hotel. The Food in the main restaurant Oasis is OK, the egg chef in the morning is rally good. The beach is great and we made good use of it, it is a very short walk from the grounds. My daughters went to kids club a fair number of times and really loved Wafa a lovely young lady who worked their. The hotel tax was a surprise but all hotels have this! We do tip and it does make a differrence.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank danfoster40
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Fantastic holiday in a welcoming clean and well organised hotel. Weather was great and even though we had a few heavy showers the sun came straight out after! We preferred to eat in the themed restaurants and advise to book asap for all the nights you want.great exp to haggle and very friendly sellers. Booked trip with guy who was by the gate to the beach much cheaper and you can haggle the price down too. Great to tip all staff at the end as will be very appreciated. The zoo in town is free and worth a visit nd the tourist train/bus is fun. Entertainment crew try very hard and are very friendly...my only complaint was the shop in the hotel who sells footballs and sports clothes...my boys bought a football and after 2 days it split and when we took it back the chp said it was only a decorative item and not for playing with!!!! So this also may apply to his clothes,shoes,hats and swim wear etc

Room Tip: For a more peaceful room avoid ones near the main pool.room on grond floor have patio doors so if yo...
2  Thank PorthlevenSarah_S