“Lovely hotel, missing money”

Hotel Riu Tikida Beach
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I booked an all inclusive trip to the hotel with Thomson after spending a week in Hotel Timoulay earlier on in the year. On arriving at the hotel it was to be expected, beautiful Traditional Moroccan interior.

The check in process for us was good because we ensured that we sat at the front of the coach so to be the first to come off and check-in. Unfortunately on arrival the staff were not as prepared for checking in individual and group parties, however overall they managed well.

Our room definitely was not a sea view, more a view of delivery men for the hotel next door. Having asked to move we were offered a room with a worst view the next day, so opted out of that. Although it would have been good to have had a better choice, our plan was to see the area so that is a minor in a long list of good things.

The hotel staff were generally very pleasant and helpful, that excludes a member of the entertainment staff (young Arab Moroccan boy) who refused to communicate with us despite our efforts. The reception staff were often hit and miss and we often felt that queries were an inconvenience to staff (particularly Ahmed), despite the fact that much of that forms part of their role.

The food in the hotel was amazing, a vast moray of cuisine both traditional and continental and the choice of restaurants (Moroccan, Sea Food & Continental) definitely made us feel spoiled for choice. Food was served from breakfast onwards and included local wines, soft drinks, hot drinks, cocktails....the list goes on.

The view from the sea food restaurant looked out onto the beach and was partly why I booked this hotel after my visit earlier in the year to an equally beautiful hotel (Timoulay) further away from the sea front.

Although we never felt unsafe in anyway in and around Agadir security on the beach and in the hotel were very helpful and friendly

The entertainment was very varied and added purpose to getting dressed up on a night. There is a club linked to the hotel which is free for all hotel stayers. I read reviews beforehand which advised that we should request rooms that were not above the club. Luckily we weren't and although we met a couple who complained about sleeping above the club, we did not hear any great disturbances whilst in the lobby on a night or even when taking a late night walk. Having peeped into the club, I must say the decor was amazing

Taxi's tend to line up across from the front entrance of the hotel to take you around Agadir. The security man Omar was extremely helpful and made us feel even more safe by translating to the taxi driver our choice of destination.

Room size was big and clean, there was a separate toilet and bathroom area alongside cable television. Much of the english speaking channels went on/off intermittently especially in the evening (no explanation from reception).

Now for the bad news. The first concern was when I came into the hotel room and the safe was open. I questioned myself as I was aware that the previous day I had noticed the safe was unlocked and thought that I had left it open. No money was missing on either ocassion however the next day £70 went missing from my purse. Having checked over the room and even calling back home to ensure that I had not left any money, I still continued to question myself.

On arriving back to the UK I triple confirmed that £70 had gone missing from my purse. This was especially disappointing as it let's the reputation of the hotel down and also changed my perception of being able to trust the safety of having a safe.

Overall a nice hotel, slight tweeks needed to address particular staffs attitude as I would have felt more comfortable in approaching the reception staff about the missing money (without feeling the need to second guess myself). The only other improvement needed is to the internet which is only available in the lobby area.

If I visit Agadir I'd probably visit Riu Tikida Palace, more so for change of scene than because of the few negative experiences.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Rebecca B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Tikida Beach

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel from 23rd January 2014 to 30th jan 2014.. Ican honesty say my husband and I could not fault it! Staff were brilliant everything was superb! Food was really good and so much choice! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Face the pool
2  Thank Rita P
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week from 23-30 January to escape the British winter (still the same when we got back!). Couldn't really fault anything, apart from the staff in the hotel shop who were what I can only describe as pig ignorant, but that was easily remedied by not going back. The room was kept spotless, the staff in the restaurant and bars and everywhere else were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you, the food was top class with plenty of choice, the outdoor pool was heated so you could enjoy a swim in January and the pool area was furnished with very comfortable double and single beds (you could get one by the way without "booking" it at 7 in the morning in your dressing gown as I saw some people do!). As for the area, there is a very long wide promenade right at the rear of the hotel, very clean and an excellent way to walk off some of the all-inclusive. We didn't see much of the surrounding area as we just wanted to relax for a week but did visit the marina one morning and enjoyed a coffee in one of the many cafes around it. We also visited the souk which was a surprisingly nice experience, nice and airy with plenty of space (unlike the one in Marrakech) and not too much hassle although they obviously do want to sell to you (now the proud owner of a £9 "Rolex" which is still working!). And the weather was great for all but one day when it got very windy (low to mid 20s I think). The only warning I should make is that I think the guests were 80-90 per cent French people who aren't blessed with the best of manners, but hey we're all in Europe now. 21 miles of water to cross the Channel and it might as well be 21,000 but will definitely go back in spite of this.

1  Thank Alan P
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Just got back from a nice winter break at the Hotel Riu Tikida beach i emailed them in advance asking for a quiet room as it was my wife's 50th birthday and upon my arrival they gave us a room upgrade to a suite which was a pleasant surprise . The staff are very friendly and helpful and the service is very good around the pool area where a very nice man Mustapha tended for our every need. The entertainment in the evening was varied the singers were very good especially the bald singer who's name escapes me but he really got you in the party mood . I'd also like to thank Nesa part of the entertainment team who was always chatty and friendly and took a lot of stick from our party and really took all the ribbing we gave her in good light . Thank you Hotel Riu Tikida Beach for ten days of fun

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wilmott66
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have just come back from a most wonderful holiday retreat at this fantastic hotel, the food, bedroom and staff were fantastic, the only thing to spoil what was otherwise perfect was the loud shouting of other English holiday makers along the hotel corridors into the early hours. These were not young teenagers, they were of an age where they should have known better, they were embarrassing to themsleves and other English guests. The hotel asked that people respected other guests after 10pm, the French who were by far the largest population did respect this.

Room Tip: Facing the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Caroline G
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel from 19th December to 30th December. The holiday started badly by the fact that our room was adjacent to another hotel where building work was ongoing. However, the staff at Reception found us an alternative room, high floor and side sea view. The cleaning staff were excellent, the room was always spotless and kept well equipped with toiletries and clean towels. Meals were excellent, varied and to suit all tastes. The Christmas buffet was fantastic, anything you could wish for. There was also an array of animals to represent the nativity outside the restaurant which pleased both adults and children. A great deal of effort went into the event and I thank the staff very much. The weather was fabulous, sun every day and very warm. You need a coat at night as the temperature drops. One thing about the pool area, people got up early and put towels on the sunbeds. Most days no one ever went on those beds and they stayed empty all day. The restaurant that overlooked the beach was great for lunch and overlooked the beach promenade and the huge waves in the sea. I would like to mention Lubna who served us every day - very attentive and efficient, always with a smile. The waiters in the lounge worked so hard serving drinks and after a couple of days, knew what we wanted. Helpful reception staff when we needed to change rooms. I cannot wait to go back to go back there.

Room Tip: High floor and pool/sea view side
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda D
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This hotel could be very good. The first night we were there everything was perfect - room,, food surroundings and entertainment. What we were not told was that our room was above a nightclub which opened the second night we were there and went on till 5.00am. The room was vibrating with the noise. Needless to say we complained. We were told there were no other rooms available. fortunately the Thomson rep was on hand. When he realised we were going to stand our ground and demanded a change of hotel he was able to arrange this. NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: Don't go
1  Thank David M