“Stunning hotel in a crappy place with nothing to do & a rep to rip you off.”

Hotel Riu Tikida Beach
Ranked #6 of 77 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is my first trip advisor review & I'm writing it cuz I'm very disappointed with my "relaxing" holiday.

I'm 30 & travelled with a mate. Wanted food sun & a laugh. Couldn't wait to get home!

Hotel itself is pretty, well themed & pleasant. Rooms are fine - sea views available. If your lucky! However I wasn't, I was put in a room above the club which is banging till 2am. I'm a youngster at heart but earplugs were not enough the bed was literally walking across the room with the vibrations! I complained & was moved on my third day to a sea front beach view which was amazing. But I'd had two nights of no sleep. Not great start...

Service - can't fault it. Staff were friendly, fun & waiters kept bringing drinks before you'd even asked. The best part by miles is how much they welcomed you. 10/10. I even got help from a waiter when I was sick, more than the dr did! Lovely staff.

Food - a good array of grub but wasn't the greatest quality. Bit tasteless & sloppy & as far as all inclusive goes has put me off as I ended up going to McDonald's up the road which is NOT like me I'm not a whingy English eater & actually don't like McDonald's all that much!

Drink is all cheap quality & not varied enough, cocktails are poor & there's no "girly" drinks like Malibu, ameretto or archers. It's ALL gin, whiskey or some harsh killer vodka. I didn't enjoy this at all.

I got sick on my second day was ill all night being poorly - due to water or food I think.

Amenities were fine - pool, spa, wifi (thank god!!) few guys offering darts/volleyball etc each day. Had a massage which was nice. And the two days I spent in bed I was happy watching an English movie channel. Mrs Doubtfire was a highlight of my week!!

Location - Poor. If you're 60 or over a few sun bleached restaurants next door might be your thing but there's no bars or nightlife...and I wasn't looking for Ibiza. There's literally a couple local boutiques. A Zara. A Pizza Hut & McDonald's. nothing else - at all. Marina has a few restaurants but nothing special & one English pub that's more expensive than London.

All this wouldn't have bin so bad if the Entertainment at the hotel was good - the same two guys on an organ, singing the same stevie wonder songs every night, got boring after the second night. It stops at 10.30pm as well. Worst part of the holiday was boredom at night. And being sober the entire week it dragged.

So we decided to go the loud club Zanzibar next door... Like I said, we wasn't there for clubbing but thought we'd check out as we were bored. Within 4 mins of standing at the bar, I knew it was a BROTHEL. Young girls in skimpy outfits sitting with older men. Girls lined up at the bar staring at me, then coming over to my mate to see if he wanted some "company".
Its £6-£10 a drink. £5 to get the girls to sit with you for a chat. Fruit platters are available & then £50 for an hour out back. Was an experience! But wasn't overly welcoming being a girl. But we didn't get into any trouble.

Then the best part - the TOUR REP.
Saad is his name & RIPPING YOU OFF is his game!!
We expressed an interest to do two tours - no money was exchanged. We were given no tickets & no booking conformation. Nothing was confirmed.
Then I got sick & the Dr was called. Everybody in the hotel & staff knew I was ill, (even the local tea man who comes in on occasion giving out tea on a carpet!) so we cancelled the trips at reception. This was done twice as my mate did It also. At the end if the week Saad then wanted us to pay for the two trips, totalling over £150 that neither of us had bin on, got tickets for or actually confirmed the booking for. He said HE had paid for our tickets out his own pocket & we HAD to pay him back! ???
Utter pish - who does that?? When we declined he followed us round the hotel to the point he was staring at us, leering, even stood watching us eating in the dinner hall & made me feel VERY uneasy.
he was saying he had paid Thompson for us. I checked the fine print & its not even Thompson who does the trips so he was lying. He was very aggressive & basically I can see he obviously does this on a regular basis with the older clientele who - like my Nan - wouldn't have like confrontation & paid him to keep the peace. It was a complete sham. He is frankly a THIEF.

Tips: go out the hotel for tours, they're cheaper!!! And next to McDonald's there's a restaurant - ask for Joe. He is a friendly lovely guy, good English who will help you for everything you need including tours!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank latexbunnygirl
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Tikida Beach

Reviewed March 3, 2013

An average size hotel with generous sized rooms. The beds were comfortable and the bedding new. Bathrooms are dated and the showers are hand held attachments which do not really work properly as showers (there is an attachment on the wall but you have to align yourself with the wall and shower at a strange angle). However, there is a ready supply of very hot water at all times. There were plentiful supplies of food and drink but all somehow lacklustre; nothing seemed to have been seasoned which is rather surprising in a country famed for its spices. My son was disappointed at the lack of bacon at breakfast. The 'hot' food was not very warm but I mostly stuck to salads.

The outdoor pool was very cold and certainly not heated as advertised. We had planned to use the indoor pool for an early morning swim but it transpired that this facility was purely for clients of the spa and therefore unavailable.

Overall, the staff were well trained and polite but poor when I suffered an accident at the pool and they also failed to deliver an early morning call on my day of departure.

In summary, I would say the hotel is a little tired and dated but if you fancy a quick week in the sun, it's fine. If you're travelling early in the year, be aware that although Agadir is sunny it is also very windy and cold first thing and last thing during the day.

Room Tip: The best rooms overlook the pool and garden (these are also sea view).
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks during Christmas and new year we had a fantastic time and I would definitely look to book here again. From the moment we arrived we were treated at royalty and nothing was a problem. However our first night was traumatic as we were placed in a room over the night club. The music went on to well passed 1am, we complained a number of times on the night and followed it up the next day. The moved us to a suite and apologised. The room and view were fabulous. The food was hot and had variety, however if you did not tip the waiter you had to get ur own drinks and plates ha ha. The beach was spectacular and the hotel pool was clean and we always got a bed, owing to me running down aT 7am to put a towel on the beds.

All in all a fantastic hotel and hotel definitely will go back:D

Room Tip: Ensure your room is not over the night club
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I chose the hotel riu tikida beach for our honeymoon. On first impressions it looks phenomenal. The lobby looked amazing and we were welcomed with a refreshing drink on our arrival despite the fact it has gone 11pm. I had insisted on having a sea facing balcony having seen earlier reviews about the rooms being above the nightclub. The view was beautiful and could not be faulted.

The food was generally lovely, although lunches tended to be plagued by flies which was unfortunate. It put me off the buffets that were presented and I veered toward the more freshly cooked foods on offer. It was worth waiting for things to be cooked. Even thought the hotel is all-inclusive, there are two restaurants you can 'book' up for. They're still inclusive but it's well worth the effort to book. One is a fish restaurant, which is nice and the food is reasonable. My husband and I are a bit more adventurous with regard to our palate so we thoroughly enjoyed the Moroccan themed restaurant. We found, in our opinion, that the food was better here and our waiter was absolutely fantastic.

The hotel is situated a little way from the main town, so we decided to hire a couple of bicycles and cycle up to the end of the promenade (which helped us avoid the vast majority of sales personnel). Bicycles can be arranged at a reasonable price at the reception.

The hotel does cater for a lot of French people and to a small extent, the staff do seem to cater more for them. In my opinion this has more to do with the language than any other kind of preference. It wasn't something that I could honestly say marred my visit.

The rooms were cleaned every day and the house keeping were lovely. They even left a beautiful flower arrangement for us to acknowledge our honeymoon.

Overall it was a good experience. Not the best for the money but alright and I don't regret going there for my honeymoon.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Esta I
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was booked a couple of weeks before we travelled via First Choice, the only thing we checked beforehand was the that it would be sunny and nicely warm if not hot.

The hotel room was quite reasonable, the bed was comfortable, I am hard to please so it was a plus, the pillows werenot so good. One was big and square, the other standard size, both filled with that unforgiving polyester which keeps it's shape and stays hard, I wish there was a choice of feather.

The bathroom was a good size but strangely, for a modern hotel, there was only a shower attachment on the bath taps without any bracket so a shower meant either turning the water off and on all the time or trying to manage with one hand. A word of caution too, the water pressure is better than a fire hose if you turn it full on, we created a bit of a flood until we got used to it. Personally I was disappointed in the lack of a proper shower. The rest of the bathroom was fine with complimentary toiletries, replaced as needed and a hair dryer. I am not fond of hair dryers that you have to hold down the switch to keep the power on.

All our meals were taken in one very large dining room as in low season I assume they close the others. So plenty of seating, sometimes you are shown to a table at other times you could seat yourself.

The food at each meal was buffet style. This meant that however good the dishes, most were never better than warm except for the soup which was always hot and had a good selection of breads to choose from.

There is no English style breakfast, nearest you get is fried eggs which aren't very fried. There are boiled eggs, a choice of 6 or 8 minutes, solid or very solid. Otherwise dried meats, cereals (ghastly mass produced Kellogg style). Yes there was fruit and some of it was fresh but why oh why tinned pineapple and peaches and melon that is never quite ripe? The plain yoghurt was lovely, served in big bowls.

For lunch and dinner there are 2 or 3 grills which cook an array of meats and fish and some accompanying sauces. These were usually quite good although on one occasion my chicken was still bloody in the middle. Needless to say I didn't eat it. There was a big variety of dishes at every meal, most pleasant, a few really good ones but although they had Moroccan style dishes such as tagine, these were lacklustre and bore little resemblance to authentic Moroccan food. Possibly because this hotel appears to cater mostly for the French who were the biggest section of the guests.

Desserts included several varieties of ice cream, the standard sickly mousse and blancmange style desserts and some rather good Moroccan small cakes and biscuits a bit like petit fours. Occasionally tiramisu and cakes such as chocolate eclairs and carrot cake.

The food is reasonable for mass catering with a few gems from time to time but I quickly got bored of trying to find something with flavour. As a last resort there are a variety of salads, always freshly prepared and with some interesting combinations. The free wine isn't too bad but it is the same at every meal so if you like it, fine, if you don't you're a bit stuck. For sure you won't starve :o).

The hotel grounds are well maintained, nicely laid out and big. A big pool surrounded by sun beds with parasols and dotted here and there they have big double bed style sun beds with pillows which are very relaxing. In common though with most resort hotels, the best beds and positions are hogged by the selfish who pile their belongings on them while they have a leisurely breakfast or lunch, it really is annoying.

The gardens let out onto the promenade and just across there are more sunbeds in a small private area. The beach in front of the hotels is kept pretty clean. The sea is a little rough but seems safe enough, I certainly survived my two dips although bathers were in single numbers.

The promenade provides a safe and pleasant walk in both directions. You can only walk about half a mile to the left then you come to a restricted area which appears to look like a military zone. To the left you can walk all the way to the marina, quite a distance but the route is traffic free apart from one or two cyclists. Along the way there are numerous caves and restaurants and then eventually you come to a few shops.

There are more shops in the marina but they were either closed, empty or small boutiques. Even further on there is the fish dock, we didn't go that far.

After dinner once or twice we watched the entertainment, the usual variety of singers, magicians, bands and tumblers. I believe there may even have been karaoke. Coffee and cocktails are served in there too and the seating is quite comfortable.

The hotel has free wifi but it can be a little erratic and can only be accessed in the reception area. We found mostly that the wifi from adjoining hotels worked best. It isn't available in the rooms which is a pity as it would have made life easier.

The staff in the hotel were unfailingly polite and helpful from the room maids through to the restaurant staff. They all seem to speak English and French.

All in all, a decent hotel in which to spend a short break, nothing bad at all. I am not sure I would like to be there in high season, it is likely to be packed and all the facilities we enjoyed at leisure will be rather more fraught.

The area itself offers little by way of interest, we managed a couple of trips out, the first when we went to an old town in the hills to visit the Souk. The round trip took 3 hours travelling and we spent no more than an hour off the bus. The Souk was unpleasant, browsing is next to impossible as every stall holder is clamouring for your attention and doesn't want to let go of the prospect of a sale, they don't seem to hassle the locals in the same way.

The second trip to the Atlas Mountains was called a trek but was more a pleasant stroll through the landscape taking in the odd feature such as the river and various animals like goats, sheep and donkeys. The sun was warm, it was quiet and the guide knowledgeable.

I am unlikely to return but don't let that put you off, there are a few more places that may be of interest but not to me, like a bird centre and the tourist bus train. Enjoyable but not repeatable from my point of view.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sooperb
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our second family holiday to this hotel. From the moment we arrived the service was warm and very welcoming. We had a duplex sea view room which we would recommend, this allows you to relax on the terrace or balcony watching the magnificent sunsets. There is a wide selection of food to suit all tastes and whilst the wine is not the best in the world the service is friendly and efficient. Our 2 boys aged 10 and 13 enjoyed the various daytime sports activities and special praise goes to Neza who is a wonderful lady who keeps the children entertained in the day and evening and is an absolute asset and ambassador to the hotel. With 2 visits under our belt will hopefully be returning again and have recommended this hotel to friends and family.

3  Thank Tracey M
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Having booked this blind I was a little anxious when I read some negative reviews, having just returned from a week there I begin to wonder if we are talking about a different hotel ?
This is no Magaluf (if you like that sort of thing) but the promenade and town have bard and restaurants close by if you want to get out and about.
I felt no need to wonder far. A fantastic buffet focused on breakfast, lunch and evening meals, very flexible timings. The quality we lead to believe is focused on the demands of the French visitor which may be greater than us but that of course is no bad thing. Superb wide range of interesting and more straightforward food items, lovely desserts. Lovely smart welcoming restaurant and staff. A new seaside restaurant has opened with panoramic views, I experienced the tail end of the work and it was discreet and responsible, however this does not matter now because it is done.
The room I had was pool view (nowhere near the nightclub) very peaceful, spacious and well laid out. Spotlessly clean, contemporary and traditional mix. No complaints from me.
People have commented this is an older hotel, it certainly does not look tired and the good thing is the gardens and communal areas are nice and mature with lovely plants, trees and flowers.
The staff were superb and sincere, always a smile and a greeting. French is more commonly spoken but that was always the case in Morocco, they all get to know you and converse in good English throughout.
The pool was nice and the heating was adequate. The activities were fun, they have their own chunk of beach. Child friendly but my half term visit was a week earlier than a lot of the UK therefore not many kiddies around to mix with each other.
The weather was great mid Feb, 27 degrees ish by day cooler of course at night but I felt comfortable in jeans and shirt sleeves at night. There is a link to a nearby well regarded golf resort so if this is your thing worth looking into.
Not huge amounts in the way of excursions compared to perhaps Egypt for obvious reasons but some fun trips laid on. Another bonus no time difference and for the distance a quick flight at 3hr 10.
Great value, great food, superb in my mind, life is short and I would like to see as many places as possible, however I will certainly be coming back here without a doubt.

Room Tip: Pool View not over nightclub
6  Thank Andy_and_Daniel2010