“Amadil - and straight onto the beach” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Atlas Amadil Beach Aqua Sun

Atlas Amadil Beach Aqua Sun
Ranked #12 of 78 Hotels in Agadir
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amadil - and straight onto the beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

I went to Agadir for two weeks from 25 January to 8 February 2008, travelling alone with relaxation in mind although the trip was to include a stay in Essaouira sometime in between. Hotel Amadil was booked online through Travel Republic on half board basis although previous experience of buffet food has not been forgotten.
Main access to this hotel, as well as for the Founty Beach, Palais des Roses and others, is from Chemin des Dunes, a fairly quiet road leading from Boulevard du 20 Aout.
Access to the beach is direct from the hotel although current works to the promenade did cause some problems. A walk along the beach one way reaches the kasbah and port and in the other direction one will be summarily stopped by a lone police officer at the approach to the Royal Palace which is a shame as the beach just beyond is by far the best.
The hotel is large and comprises 336 rooms and was reasonably quiet at this time of year. There are several shops onsite for souvenirs and gifts, books, clothing, sun protection products, postcards, newspapers etc. There is also a booking point for day trips. An ATM is situated in the lobby area which accepts all major cards (notify your bank before travelling to Morocco).
My room had air conditioning, a TV, seriously large bed (6ft wide), ample wardrobe space, dressing table, table and armchair. What was missing, though, was a fridge and kettle although Moroccan hotels rarely if ever provide the latter. I went prepared in light of this and took a travel kettle which was a life saver; this I kept out of sight so as not to upset the management. I used only bottled water for making tea as tap water is very unpalatable and one should only ever drink bottled water, tap water is, however, safe to clean ones teeth with. There were sliding patio doors leading onto the balcony, which all rooms appeared to have, with the usual plastic furniture, the view from the room overlooked the pool and garden area.
The bathroom was in the main clean but would benefit from a thorough steam clean to remove suspicious stains from the walls. There were plenty of towels but none of those bottles of shampoo and shower gel which most hotels provide; anyway they are totally inadequate and I bring my own toiletries which I kept in a transparent bag which for some reason the cleaner felt the compunction to open on each visit.
The room had an interconnecting door but the people in the next room were heavy smokers, only smoking in the room and not on the balcony. This permeated my room but luckilly they had mysteriously vacated the next day, leaving a “do not disturb” sign on the door but the smell still lingered.
Breakfast was a sad affair, as said already buffet food is always inadequate and this was no exception. The food was probably hot when first placed in the dining room at 5am but this is not kept warm by any means. On offer was imitation ham (so adored by some european visitors but even the cats would not eat this), baked beans, harira (Moroccan soup), scrambled eggs either very runny or cooked solid and overcooked merguez (spicy sausage), all stone cold except the soup. Various fruit salad on offer and also freshly made pancakes and fried eggs. Several cereal varieties with cold (or warm) milk were always a good starter and to finish those very buttery cakes and pastries with tea or coffee.
Evening meals were not much better I fear, cold from start to finish. Occasionally pork on the bone was served which is not to my liking in any event, other dishes were prawns and rice, beef stew, chicken, various soups, lamb and kebebs made with poor quality meat. Bottled water was available at 18Dh for 1.5L, three times the price of local shops. Desserts were plentiful and sweet, as a substitute for water I would eat melon, which was sweet and juicy.
For those unfamiliar with Agadir, the tourist area is clean and very presentable, almost like a postcard. There are some problems with footpaths though and street lighting obscured by the densley populated olive trees lining the streets. This can lead to major problems for the unattentive as there are many holes which even after five years have not yet been repaired.
After one week I went to Essaouira for three nights and then back to Agadir, staying at the Ramada al Mohades for the remainder.
On my departure from Agadir on 8 Feb I went past the Amadil on the beach and noticed this was being partly demolished to one side although I am unsure as to the reasons.
Would I go back? Absolutely!

• Liked — Quiet this time of year
  • Disliked — No problems
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
6 Thank john9159

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

Just back from 1 week at the Amadil Hotel with my girlfriend. This was the first package holiday I have been on and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. On arrival the hotel looks very impressive, it has a large central atrium with all the rooms coming off this, a single swimming pool, which is deceptively large due to it's shape and it's own private portion of the beach with guard. We had a room over looking the pool. Perhaps the only things missing were a fridge and hairdryer, but it had everything we needed and was clean and tidy, with A/C, balcony, TV (if you like CNN, but then again why would you want to go on holiday to watch TV), and fitted wardrobes with a safe. Due to a mix up we spent the first night in a suite, with it's 2 seaview balconies, 2 bathrooms with his and hers sinks and a fridge - very nice - the only glitch in the holiday.

I thought meals were very good. I can see why it may get a little "samey" for 2 weeks, but they did mix the main courses up and the was a lot of choice for both dinner and breakfast (including a moroccan take on a full english if you so wished). One night the restaurant moved outside by the pool with entertainment and floating candles, which made a nice change a was kind of romantic. There is also an excellent Moroccan restaurant, with a huge couscous portion and an international restaurant. If you are on half board as we were you get 100 DH credit in both of these. Service is a little slow from some of the staff, but you can recognise who are the attentive waiters and this will get you a better service. We left a small tip for one waiter and from then on we had instant refills of orange juice and proper coffee/hot chocolate from the kitchens instead of going to the counter to get it.

We switched between the pool and the beach. You do have to get to the beach early, but it is worth it to be on the front row of the loungers with a sea view. The animation team can get a bit annoying at times round the pool with constantly asking if you want to play darts, do aerobics, etc, but this is only before lunch.

The town itself is very new having been rebuilt in the 60's and is still being rebuilt though not in earshot of the hotel. It seemed to be orientated towards local families which gave it a relaxed atmosphere and I was suprised and a little relieved that it hasn't yet become a foreign tourist mecca. For a taste of old Morocco, I would thoroughly recommend a trip to Marakesh, which is excellent but frantic.

All staff that I talk to spoke English, front desk, waiters, porters, shop assistants, maids. Some a lot better than others, but as French is the second language and the majority of the guests french speaking, you have to expect that the staff will converse in french to you intitially. It isn't asking much to be able to say hello/goodbye, please/thank-you or yes/no in french though. Better still (phonetically) shuk-er-an, is thank you in arabic, which will get you a nice smile and sometimes better service.

Would I go back to Agadir again, probably not, but then again I rarely go back to anywhere twice. But I had a good and relaxing hoilday, helped by the choice of hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank nucleon69
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

I managed to get a so called deal and to be honest it was unbelievable good value
I have an attitude make the best of what you get. My bedroom view was a bit restricted with a roof of a bar obstructing but the hotel was amazing. The situation on the beach could not be better no matter where you stayed in Agadir. They had fabulous entertainers who did their utmost best to entertain you especially the single people young or older ones.The restaurant had so much choice, and it was very delicious and if I went again I would go for the half board option.
However, yes the lack of English was a bit of a problem and I rather felt the French got the finer end of the hospitality.
Supermarket shopping is totally banned and I saw 4 unhappy shoppers having to throw away their bottles of fruit juice and spirits. even water is banned as they want you to pay their own very expensive shop prices and their security checks are quite strict but I really do think its a fabulous choice for a family or couples

Stayed March 2007
6 Thank carole2
leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

we've just got back from a 2 week stay at the amadil beach hotel, and i have to say that the hotel was generally really nice. The beach area is a great asset, and whilst not the best on the beach, it was great to have the chance to sit there and not be bothered by hawkers, the pool was great, i loved it, and the animation team tried their best to motivate a very lazy me into joining in! The room was average, it could have done with a double bed, but it was always clean, and the maid did a wonderful job with the towel and bed sheet displays! we had a pool view, but i would have paid the extra for a sea view.
The food was a little monotonous, and if you got in there late the meat was all bone and fat, but the salads were nice and there was a big variety to choose from. i would suggest eating out as it got a little boring after a few days. the moroccan restaurant up the road, murescque, i think, was nice and the patisserie next door to that has the best orange juice and cakes.
The only problem we really encountered was trying to deal with the reception desk, they didnt appear to want to help us at all, and the money exchange didn't seem too keen to exchange money (odd i thought!). oh and dont go to the shop in the hotel for anything other than sun cream (which oddly was cheaper than the supermarket) but water/food/snacks were really expensive, and the supermarket is only 5 mins away!
the beach was great at that end of the town as it was a little quieter too!
over all we really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank emstar
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

Seeing the Amadil hotel for the first time was a joy indeed. Although slightly dated the hotel’s gardens were impeccable with winding paths that oozed with character, lit brightly and pleasantly at night. Check in could have been a bit quicker and more efficient but I don’t like to moan about that sort of thing too much because its only 5 minutes out of your holiday.
The rooms weren’t luxurious by any standard, but as a 3 ½ star hotel, we weren’t expecting it to be. One thing I did like was the bright, spacious balcony with just amazing views across Agadir, made extra special by the Pelican that always liked to visit us there. The bathroom was very basic, and did not have a hair dryer which was very annoying. The room had a complete lack of power points; there was only one in the bathroom, next to the sink which I thought was very dangerous.
One annoying thing about this hotel was the staff. A lot of the time I found them to be rude, aggressive, pushy very unaccommodating to anybody who speaks English. The worse was our maid. She spoke not a word of English which is fine but what was ridiculous was the fact she spoke German to us when ever we said a word in English, like that was going to help us communicate! This woman constantly barged into our rooms whenever she felt like it even with the ‘do not disturb’ sign hung outside! On the first night she rubbed her hands at us expecting a tip which I did not like, she then did this the next day too! On one occasion my boyfriend and I were having sex, and this insolent woman opened the door without even knocking (with the ‘do not disturb’ sign in place outside) and just walks into the hall separating the bedroom from the front door. We had to scream at her from the bed naked for about 2 minutes to leave as she stood in the hall, for her to finally get the message, not to come any further! That was not a very nice experience at all!
The food at this hotel was surprisingly good. The buffet hall had average variety and a combination of Moroccan delights as well as the well knowns like pasta etc. The salad bar was very impressive for the hotels star rating and every morning at breakfast, we were spoiled by the delicious fresh orange juice on tap.
The beach wasn’t bad although you had to ask for a towel otherwise you’d get told off by the guy guarding them. But it was ok, no other problems.
The night time entertainment was a load of rubbish quite frankly. It was suitable only for the over 60s and was repeated every night practically. There was no way I was going to endure sitting through that, only I didn’t need to because it was so loud that we couldn’t sleep at night, despite us being on the top floor! Crusty old singers doing karaoke and spinning old ladies around who perhaps had a little too much to drink isn’t my idea of entertainment.

I left the Amadil pleased overall, because considering we paid £200 each for a week, including flights, we had a good time, had ok food and overall had a relaxing trip.

• Liked — dinner was better than expected.
  • Disliked — The staff were annoying
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank aaront3000
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2007

Firstly this would not be a 4* hotel in Europe, but having said that it is ok, clean andfairly good facilities - but no fridge in the rooms, even though many wesbsites state that there would be. I suspect this is to discourage guests from drinking their own water/wine etc.

My main concern was the inflexible/unhelpful attitude some of the staff had - example, one day we asked if we could have lunch instead of dinner (we were half board) we were told absolutely no - reason being the chef had counted the numbers for lunch - it was a buffet for both lunch & dinner, so we failed to see the problem!!

Also some of the waiting staff had unfortunate attitudes (we were 3 women together) and they felt that they could be "jokey" in an inappropriate way with us. One of them thought it funny to hold out a drink, and then take it away when I reached for it - once was mildly amusing, but over & over again was annoying & intrusive on our mealtime.

Some of the waiting staff were exceptional, and professional customer service was paramount to them - we learned quickly where to sit in the restaurant!!

The resort was shabby, and unfinished pavements were common - my friend fell & badly bruised her foot. It had the feel of a run down UK seaside town.

On the whole an ok holiday, but I doubt very much I will ever return to Agadir or the Amadil!!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — staff attitudes
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank LindaMo
Oxford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2007

You need to be a smoker. Non smokers stay away. Predominantly French speaking guests. Not a place for peace and quiet. Poolside disco music and no other quiet pool available to enjoy peace and relaxation. Beach pleasant and the sea superb. Occasional disco music on beach so again not a place for peace and quiet. Do not book half board if you are fussy about food. We booked half board and were very disappointed and ate out at local restaurants. Super selection of restaurants locally. Hotel was very clean. We didn't have a fridge in our room which we would have expected of 4* hotel. We would not return to this hotel.

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — Too many smokers food choice poor and no quiet areas to relax without disco music
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GeeUp

Travelers are raving about these Agadir hotels