“Decent hotel for what you pay”

Royal Mirage Agadir Hotel
Ranked #21 of 78 Hotels in Agadir
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We paid £330 for flights and a week all inclusive at this hotel so can't complain at all. Weather was really warm for mid November. Morocco itself is a really poor country and you should prepare to have to say no to shop owners and beggars etc. when you get to the airport, carry your own suitcase right up to the taxi otherwise the porters will demand money from you!

The hotel itself...

We believe they are redoing all the rooms, the ones we stayed in were ok to be fair and had air con although our hot water was on and off and eventually packed in on the last night. The reception girls could have been a bit more welcoming and I can see why people might be a bit fussy, but they werent that rude, I just think their english wasn't great. How people can travel to another country and complain about the staff not having good English (or having chips or cooked breakfasts) is beyond me, what ignorence!

So good things:

Hotel was very clean! Staff were constantly cleaning pool and sweeping, mopping, tidying tables. Our room was cleaned and bed sheets and towels changed every day! Beer and wine were really nice with self serve soft drinks. Great location, just off beach, and theres about 35 steps, not 80! Theres loads cheap restaraunts that do good steaks on the beach if you fancy a change of scenery. Food was ok/repetitive, but tagine was really good and at breakfast although you cant get bacon/sausage/beans, you can get fresh omelettes to order and the pancakes are really good as well as fruit cereal etc. The animation team all seemed to be really nice guys and funny. There was some different form of entertainment each night although it was always in french and we didnt know what was going on. Beds were kings size and very comfortable!!

Bad points:

You could only get wifi in lobby an by pool, even then it wasn't reliable. Pool was freezing but we went mid Nov! Food repetitive after a week. There are quite a few flies that did bite but they dissapeared towards lunch time. There was a lot of noise on the roads and from some bar on the beach front that played music every night till really late, not sure why they play it so loud, try get a room poolside with an even number or a bungalow, one night we were at the back and as a heavy sleeper i was waking constantly.

There may seem to be a lot of bad point but they werent major issues, if we had paid a lot of money we would have had higher expectation.

Final verdict - would definitely recommend a holiday here for a week to anyone. Dont think we will go again but thats because its only a small place and was nice enough for a late get away.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Tbudden
heshmat K, Directeur général at Royal Mirage Agadir Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

We were glad to read your remarks and comments on this website.
Thank you for your positive comments in regards to quality of our staff and variety of food offered in our restaurants.
it was a great pleasure to know that the level of service, guest rooms and recreation facilities as well as the level of cleanliness in the hotel were up to your complete satisfaction.
We will continue with full power and motivation to strive for excellence – hopefully.

I hope we will have a pleasure to welcoming you back to our hotel “Beach albatros Agadir”.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Me and my partner just returned from a week at this hotel.

Firstly I should say that for mid November the weather was fantastic – I would recommend Morocco for a winter break.

Now to the hotel,
I enjoyed my stay here, it is a good hotel but I wouldn’t say it compares to other 4 stars I have stayed at.
Fantastic location.
Everywhere was spotless clean including the rooms and we constantly saw people cleaning the pool and the surrounding areas.

Upon arriving we were presented with a twin room although we had booked a double, the porter did push the beds together however we mentioned it to reception and the next day we were moved to a bungalow room which was great.
The rooms on the road side are quite noisy so try get one facing the pool or a bungalow.

I have read lots of comments about the staff being rude and I can confirm that this is not the case at all.
I will say that the reception staff weren’t overly friendly and as front of house you would expect them to at least show a smile now and then. Other than the reception staff everyone was fantastic, the waiters couldn’t do enough and the entertainment staff were just brilliant. I can’t give them enough praise.

The food was good, international and a bit repetitive however the Tagine night they did on the Sunday we were there was delicious.
Plenty of fresh fruit and bread every day.
Drink choices were good, help yourself to soft drinks and water. Good range of alcohol.
The only downside to the all inclusive would be that there isn’t any ice cream. I haven’t been to an all inclusive where ice cream wasn’t available.
There was however a great ice cream counter with loads of choice just on the beach front by mcdonalds, loads of flavours and plenty of choice.

We did the Hammam massage and booked with Abdul – The rep that does the welcome chats, although the experience was good there was a lot of waiting around whilst the staff got organized.
I would recommend booking trips from other agents, make sure it’s a proper agent and not just a random person the street though! There is a tour place just by the train stop at the bottom left of the hotel stairs.

Overall a great stay and the staff (not including reception) are an asset to the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jacqui F
heshmat K, Directeur général at Royal Mirage Agadir Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

I will be sure to share your comments with all members of staff for their outstanding service and being able to create a positive impression. I assure you Madam that your remark has been taken, and the necessary measures will be implemented to improve this point Mentioned in your review
Please let us know if there is anything we can arrange for you or help with even before you travel again in the future.

Many greetings form Beachalbatros agadir.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Returned from a 7 day holiday on the 21/11/13. 3 adults (mum dad child)

Service: The service in regards to people clearing the tables quickly after eating, taking your luggage to your room and serving you at the bars, faultless. It was quick but got to remember to tip. However, as mentioned in many reviews, if your English, this can create a language barrier as not one member of staff spoke fluent English. Also the reception staff, if you request anything, it was always "yes 10 minutes" and Moroccan 10 minutes is like 30 minutes+. For example changing up money (which was never available, usually have to wait a day to exchange money, also asking for change for tipping, they apparently have no change, ever!) The reception staff are friendly apart from the woman there who's English is terrible. We asked her if the ATM dispensed in Dirham and she replied "sit down, 10 minutes" We said you don't understand, she said "Sit". Maids did a great job in the rooms, sometimes even decorated the mats and duvets with petals so worth a nice tip. The more you tip the maids, the nicer they decorate your room and provide more water bottles. They always smiled when you passed them in the hall.

Sleep quality/rooms: We had two rooms, the first room with pool view and the second with a partial sea view, facing the casino. In my opinion, the beds were like laying on concrete, I actually left the holiday in pain, one of the days my back was so sore, I couldn't move my back, bend down... I ended up laying on a blanket and a duvet with 3 pillows. However, my family in another room said the beds were OK. I guess its down to personal preference. If its really windy outside, it whistles loudly through the sliding doors (room opposite casino). Rooms as a whole, very very tidy, clean, lovely hot water for a quickly run bath, bath filled up in less than a minute! Has shower gel and hand soap built in the walls. Nicely decorated.

Cleanliness: As I have already mentioned, this is the cleanest hotel I've ever been to. They are constantly cleaning the floors in the lobbies, rooms spic and span, cleaning the pool throughout the day.

Location: If you don't mind walking, this is in a nice central location with readily available Taxi's and close the the road to hail a Taxi. To get to the beach, you have to walk down about 80 steep stairs and up again to return...which kill you. This hotel is not recommended for anyone with reduced mobility. It's about a 5 min walk to the beach where there's a private section (sectioned off) for the hotel where a guy pulls sun loungers out for you etc. Also it's good as the beach sellers cannot enter (who would usually bug you for ages and won't go away). Lots of restaurants along the promenade, including pizza hut and Mc Donalds (very nice and big burgers)

Food: The food at this hotel was repetitive. I can guarantee you have every night; stuffed tomatoes, rice, mixed vegetables, stuffed vegetables, some dry bony chicken piece, and boiled potatoes. The food was bland, over cooked, no variety, no chips!!!! Pizza station horrible (wouldn't even call it a pizza) Pudding all taste the same. If your polish, German, Swedish, etc, you'll like it. Definitely not catered for the English. Not one cooked breakfast!

Other notes: The flies here are awful, they are everywhere, when your trying to lounge by the pool, they some and set up camp on your body. Bring a repellent! Entertainment - rubbish, never enough seats, dinner starts at 7pm but entertainment didn't start til 9:30pm (if your lucky) so there's nothing to do for 2 hours in between as they advise you not to go outside the hotel after dark. It was like they made the entertainment up as they went along, most nights we didn't bother to wait, just went to the room and watched the one TV program that was English.

Trips/excursions - We booked via the hotel rep (Abdul)... Rip off! You can get the exactly the same trips, run by the same people for half the price +. Ask the entertainment staff they can get you the trips for cheaper. It felt a bit dodgy as you hand over thousands of Dirham with out receiving some kind of receipt. Luckily we managed to go on them. Waiting to go on the trips, always late, even by 50 minutes!

Spa - 3/5 because We didn't use it so we don't know what it was like, but it was very over priced and the staff are pushy.

Boat + Fishing trip - Rubbish, couldn't wait to get back! Literally went round the corner, sooooo windy cold, didn't tell you that! food they provided was a salad! and it wasn't even nice! oh and stale bread. So basically starved on the trip. And the fishing, try a bit of string on a hook, no one caught anything!!! NOT RECOMMENDED (£37 each)

Camel Ride - Good experience, cannot ride a camel in the UK. Camels were all tied up together in a line and walked for miles. Flies once again! Back and legs hurt like hell after. Recommended tho (£20 each)

Quad excursion - Best trip by far! Quads were 300cc so fast. on the way out it was quite slow as it was lead by the guides in a buggy. Half way there, we stopped in an old shack for tea, bread and biscuits. Very nice. Guy played guitar for us while we relaxed. On the way back, it was more fun and fast. DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED (£57 per quad/buggy, can fit 2 people per quad/buggy)

Tips - Do not go to the shops as you come down the stairs and turn left, left. We basically got robbed. This guy literally pulled us in his shop where he described about the spices, argon oil etc. He pressured us in buying stuff, getting angry saying "you buy now!!" we said we had no money so he was like "have now you pay me later" shoving the soap and cream in our hands. We reluctantly gave him £40 English money which we later found out that it was x10 of what it was worth.

Overall good holiday, great hotel, locals who sell stuff, constantly pester you and follow you to buy stuff. Have to say NO about 10 times. Also lots of children beggars that follow you.

Room Tip: Pick pool view as you get WIFI in the room and the wind doesn't whistle through the sliding door...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
heshmat K, Directeur général at Royal Mirage Agadir Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

We are very pleased that you took the time to share all these emotions on Trispadvisor and
We would like to thank you for your dear comments.
I assure you Sir that your remark has been taken and the necessary measures will be implemented to improve this point Mentioned in your review
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again that you can see the changes.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

On arrival we were allocated a room which was not what we had booked, as we had been travelling all day from the early hours I just accepted it, however all night we were kept awake by slamming doors and general noise. We asked to be moved the following morning to the bungalow we had originally booked which in fairness was done straight away, however thats when the problems started, no hot water for 2 days despite 6 requests for them to sort it out, one day when we were out they decided to repaint the door to our bungalow without any signs to say the paint was wet so needless to say the paint stained my clothes! The staff were either plain rude or indifferent, especially the cleaner who never actually cleaned the room in a week. The food was so bland if you shut your eyes you wouldnt know what you were eating so much so that we had to eat out on several occasions Outside noise kept me awake most nights. I have stayed in hotels all around the world and can honestly say this has been the worst and will not be returning. the only good point was it was in a central location and we could easily get around however that is the only good point i can think of

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle2201
heshmat K, Directeur général at Royal Mirage Agadir Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

We were regretful to learn that your perception of our hotel did not comply with the image of a four -star hotel. The entire team of the beachalbatros Waterfalls team put a lot of effort to maintain the highest standards of service and to let our guests feel most valued and genuinely cared for.
I assure you Madam that your remark has been taken, and the necessary measures will be implemented to improve this point Mentioned in your review.

We will continue with full power and motivation to strive for excellence - hopefully, you will notice a difference during your next stay. I hope we will have a pleasure to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Please contact our pre-arrival vacation planning team directly to help us arrange for your holiday.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We went to agadir and arrived at hotel beach albatros on the 4th November 2013. After reading mixed reviews on trip advisor we decided to give this a hotel a go.

I have to say I have absolutely no regrets of booking this hotel. It exceeded all of my expectations. Hotel was very clean, very nice rooms with neutral decor with an amazing view of the sea from the balcony. Pool was nice and clean at all times, food was nice and so were the staff who couldn't do enough for you.

Special thanks to khadija the duty manager who made our stay very enjoyable and accommodated for all our needs. Also thanks to the maids for ensuring all our rooms were spotless at all times and not forgetting adil the entatainer who was a funny guy.

Thank you guys for making our holiday a pleasant one and we will defiantly be returning on our next holiday. See you guys soon.

Bilal, Abdul, shezad & tayyab.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Twadi
heshmat K, Directeur général at Royal Mirage Agadir Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

On behalf of entire Beachalbatros agadir team I would like to thank you for this excellent feedback on Trip Advisor site. I was happy to read your comments in which you praise hotel’s products and services.

Many greetings form Beachalbatros agadir.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We went here with a party of 12 and the hotel staff could not do enough to accomodate us, making seating areas for meal times, bringing drinks over to us around the pool and in the evening at the outside tables.

The food was lovely and varied, and if the kids didnt like it they would cook something from the kitchen.

Room service is amazing and cheap although you may question why at an all inclusive we did this but our teenager liked skipping meal time!

The pools are uncrowded and clean and warm!

No complaints except.... Night time noise, just be aware you cant really sleep with the door open due to close by noise travelling, put the air con on and you can sleep fairly well but you can still hear it. However all of Agadir is noisy at night and we stayed at another hotel the week before and the noise was worse, I think you just have to except this minor irritation but the hotel is amazing and I would go back.

Room Tip: All rooms are good standard. Perhaps away from the night club.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andy R
heshmat K, Directeur général at Royal Mirage Agadir Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

We were glad to read your lovely remarks and comments on this website “tripadvisor”.

Thank you for your positive comments in regards to quality and variety of food offered in our restaurants.
I was very happy to learn, that you are willing to come back during your next vacation. We will be looking forward to welcome you back to Beachalbatros Agadir in a very near future.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Good points
Central location
Very clean
Can help yourself to bottled water from the fridge by the outside bar
Pour your own soft drinks
Staff very friendly and welcoming, can't do enough for you even without a tip
Rooms spacious, beds made every day
Free wifi, although sometimes during peak times, doesn't work very well but if you are staying on the pool side it works in your room
There are brown coloured towels provided in your room for you to take to the pool or beach
They clean the pool every morning
Maintenance people came almost immediately to repair

Could have been better
The set up for the evening entertainment is not very well laid out, there are a limited amount of sofas with low coffee tables so if you don't get there early you won't find anywhere to sit although they will bring out some chairs from the dining hall if needed but there's no tables, the Bella Vista entertainment area is just an extension of the reception area. Little kids, unfortunately, are allowed to run around and through these areas, an accident waiting to happen I fear. The entertainment does need some attention, all night every night there is a male singer with his piano which you get used to. At 9pm there's a disco for kids then theres a show of some kind at about 9.45pm but if you aren't lucky enough to get seated on a sofa you won't really get to see although the staff will get out some dining chairs for people to sit on at the side.
Air con in rooms very subtle and i don't recall it ever being on in reception even on the hottest days and nights

Tips
Don't forget you have you pay your tax as you check out, for 5 of us for 11 nights it cost 968dirhams, which is about £80, I think you can pay this during your stay which might be a good idea so you don't forget and run out of money, they do accept visa.
You can change your money up at reception the exchange rate is very good for example we got 12.65 on average for £1 and you can withdraw at the cash point in the hotel and get about the same rate.
If you can't sleep through nightclub noise then ask for a room that ends in an even number, it's pool side.

Defo take a trip to the zoo which is down the steps towards the beach and then left, it opens after 11am, if you can take some bread and you will be able to feed some of the animals and don't forget your water.

Just next to the zoo is the train stop the cost is 2dirham per person and the journey is about 30 mins and you will get to see some of the parts of agadir that you probably wouldn't bother unless you like walks, although there is no commentary you don't really need it and if you want to get off at any point just let them know.

Although there are quite a few steps down to the beach there's a slope with fewer steps which is better to walk up and it's takes you to the front of the hotel, it is just past the train station and zoo.

I totally recommend that you go for a camel ride, we went on one and thoroughly enjoyed it, it cost about £20 each and is a bargain, we booked it through the tour rep, if you don't have one then just ask at reception and they can help you, the place we went to was only 10mins down the road by Mingus, included in the cost, and afterwards you get tea and a biscuit and can hear a little about Morocco and its history, you have an option to buy a couple of pictures, the cost for both was only £5 a bargain, in England you would have been ripped off and charged loads, they take the photos just before you g on your trek, one of the camel sitting down and one of you on the camel standing up with your quite, the photos are location and date stamped.

Le Nil Bleu restaurant, down the stairs towards the beach on the front is a must if you fancy a treat, the fillet steak is excellent and costs around £10, yes £10 and it was cooked to perfection, the waiter we had, Kamal, was brilliant and ensured that every one of our fussy requests was catered for, he has some amazing travel stories, if they're not too busy and he is more than happy to talk about his time in New York, Spain, Germany and then back home to Morocco, a very polite and efficient waiter.

At the hotel a lady comes out and starts to cook crepes, which are lovely, at about 4pm there is always a queue so as soon as you see her come out I strongly suggest you go to where she cooks, she's near the exit on route to the spa.

There is music and some form of entertainment or activity by the pool in the mornings around 11am, we didn't watch or get involved though, we would normally go for walks in the morning as it was too hot to walk in the afternoons.

If you want a night out then you can go to the fantasia show, if you have no rep then just ask reception and they can call someone, you can leave the money with reception and the guy will come and leave your ticket for you to collect either later that day or the following morning, we paid 400 dirhams each, some advertise for 450. It's about 45 minutes away in a minibus, as you walk in you are greeted with drummers, dancers, given some dates and milk and bread and we though wow how fun is this going to be but then we were seated and we waited for ages. it did seem a little unorganised when it came to serving the food and we, a group of 5, were seated at a table of 8 with 3 people we didn't know, then the food came it was about a quarter of lamb and we had to cut it and share it between us which was a bit awkward when sitting with people you don't know, after the lamb eventually came the chicken, cous cous and vegetables, then fruit and pancakes. whilst we were eating they came in to the tent with various dancers performing a mini show, all was good till they came round for photos and the little boy dancers posed for his photo and then held his hand out for a tip, this totally spoilt our night as this was a paid for evening and it would have been nice to have had one day away from begging. We also had to pay for drinks, coke and sprint were 20dirhams each, beer was 50 and wine was 130 and you had to pay for water which was 25 dirhams for a 1.5l bottle I know it's not a lot but when you have paid £36 each water with the meal would have been nice. After you have eaten, if they were better organised then you would have had your tea or coffee at the table, you were shown out to the arena to sit and watch the show or acrobats, belly dancing and horses whilst sitting there they came round with your small and I mean small mouthful of tea, then they came back and collected the glasses. When you go out to seat at the arena I would suggest you go to the top end and sit there as where we were say the lights shine straight into your eyes and you can't see very much but what we did see was good and when the fired the guns we all jumped.

My husband and daughter attempted to go jet skiing we walked all the way to the tent which is just before the arena only to be told that they don't take money there and that you need to walk to the other end of the beach to pay, get a ticket and them come back. They also changed the price, my husband was quoted 400 dirhams the day before for half an hour and then the day they went to to it they were told 500 and my husband pointed out that the man had a money belt and got the impression that they did not want my husband and daughter to jet ski but who knows.

My husband and daughter went on the buggy excursion, they were told they would be picked up at 8.30 they didn't get picked up till 9.10am it toll them about 30 minutes to get to the place, they then had to wait for the tyres to be pumped up and these were bald and didn't grip the stand, then whilst they were driving the buggy the joint went on one of the front wheels and all the guy did was tie it up with some rope, my daughter wasn't happy to drive it after that as it was not safe so my husband did, they left there at 11am and was back at the hotel by 11.30, this was nowhere near half a day as promised. My husband has left a message for the guy who made the arrangements, he is due to be at he hotel tomorrow (he never came) the company they booked with Holiday Premiere, I would avoid this company as we tried to contact them for 3 days and was unable to. Another company, which we found to be ok, is called Majac, reception can get hold of them if you ask them to.

Room Tip: if you want to sleep at night without being disturbed by the night club then ask for a pool side roo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Techick958
heshmat K, Directeur général at Royal Mirage Agadir Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

We are very pleased that you took the time to share all these emotions on Trispadvisor.
All the teams are working day after day to ensure a better service to our customers.
I assure you Madam that your remark has been taken, to improve this point Mentioned in your review.

Cordially