“A lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Riu Palace Tikida Agadir
Ranked #3 of 78 Hotels in Agadir
“A lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I am in the hotel lobby now using the wifi that is available virtually throughout the hotel, in the rooms and even on the beach.
We like this hotel and cannot find much wrong with it. We arrived on 12th July staying for one week. The sunbeds by the pool - there are plenty available at 9:30am. Ok the wooden sun loungers with mattresses have usually all been taken by then but there are plenty of plastic ones available - the ones I would normally expect to see at the side of a hotel pool. So we have had no problems with getting sun loungers each day. We haven't had to get up early especially to get one. The sun umbrellas seems to be plenty enough. I think they have bought more and we've not see any problems with people wanting a brolly.
The lunchtime food is served in a buffet style restaurant by the pool. We have always found an empty table set ready. Sometimes there has been a queue of say 5 people to get food from the serveries but it moves fairly quickly. Getting drinks has been no problem either. Every day I see the hotel catering manager stood by the serveries so he sees what is going on first hand. He is also there to greet you at evening meal times. Again we have had no problems getting a table at evening meal times. Dinner is 6:30 til 10 and we've been going in around 8pm. Some days at 9:30pm there has been a queue to get in the dining room, but that is almost at closing time so why people leave it so late I don't know.
We booked a standard room and found that the room is the biggest we have come across (that is not a suite). As well as the beds there is a lounge area, a dressing area, double sinks in the bathroom and the toilet and bidet have a separate door from within the bathroom. We have found plenty of hanging space and hangers. There were only 3 drawers though but enough shelf space to use instead of drawers. Minibar in the room were stocked every day.
Plenty of kids in the hotel but we found all were very well behaved. I enjoyed the various Riufit classes from step to stretching to Abs and dance. All taking place in a separate Riufit room. There was a hotel gym that was very well stocked and the best hotel gym I have seen.
Food is very good, lots of choice provide you don't eat everything from every servery every day. (but who could.) It's there for you to choose and plenty of variety if you eat reasonable quantities and are selective.
Drinks fully available, lots of branded stuff not their own local brew. Staff very pleasant and polite. Clearing away plates glasses as I would expect. Hotel is very clean. There are lots of new planting of palm trees and bushes and some of the palm trees are still wrapped up whilst they take. So should look even better once they are in full leaf. Hotel pool layout is at a good angle so that does not get the shade. So wherever you sit you can get the sun. The beach did have a lot of Moroccan visitors but the hotel has an area cordoned off with lots of sunbeds and umbrellas for guests to use. We always found spare sunbeds on the beach.
Overall a very good clean hotel with good service and friendly respectable staff. Don't understand why it has been given unfavourable write ups by others.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view. It looks inwards and seems quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
24 Thank GildaManc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (907)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked this Hotel with Thompson in April this year, after reading the first several positive reviews. We arrived on the 5th July for a 7 night break, and to celebrate my 60th Birthday.

WOW...as you enter the hotel, WOW as you first see the pools and gardens from the main foyer/Bar area, WOW as you enter your suite.Wow as you see the view from your room onto the pool/SSV. WOW as you enter the main buffet resturant for the first time.
All the above have been reviewed before, and they do make you belive you have entered a 5* Hotel. So I won't repeat what has been said before.

BUT....The first 3 days at this Hotel were excellent,could even find a sun lounger each morning after 9am. BUT THEN.................................
Sunday everything changed, the Hotel was taken over by Morrocan families, having a week of fun and food before Ramadam Starts (15/7/12).
For details of what occured I refer you to the reviews by:-
Adrian-Vanessa 15/7/12 & Mr & Mrs Sky 13/7/12.

Conclusion is a very good hotel, but we picked the wrong week to go?.
Maybe RIU should consider making this hotel a Couples only, then it could be truely 5*

Room Tip: take sterling (crisp clean notes only excepted) and exchange at reception, as you need it, also cons...
8 Thank NorthWalesBob
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at The Riu Palace Tikida Agadir in June 2012, just before the high season, but with the hotel almost filled-up.

Having read the earlier mixed comments, I cab only highly recommend this hotel. As we (two couples from The Netherlands and Italy) had encountered a hick-up in the originally booked hotel (Clubhotel Riu Tidida Dunas), we we're offered by Jakob, the General Manager, a transfer to the newer Riu Palace Tikida Agadir. Having travelled a lot for business and pleasure, I think I know what a good hotel is, and for sure this hotel is the best at present at Agadir. It is brand new, with stunning rooms, great pool area, nice gardens and good food.

Of course there we're some details that can improve, but then again, the hotel opened just a few months ago, and sometimes we noticed that the staff is not quite at speed. But who cares, most of them were trying hard and we did not encounter any major annoyances. The issues about the sunbeds getting reserved is merely a misbehavior of the guests that unfortunately you will find everywhere in the world...I was happily surprised to discover that staff at the pool area were removing items from reserved chairs if people did not show up.

If i had to mention some things: the late-breakfast menu is not very extensive, the lunch restaurant has very noisy acoustics and the staff there were not at there best yet.

But all together I was surprised to find a brand new hotel up and running like it was, in stunning shape and with very good service level. I would rate it as a five star business hotel at the sea, with stunning lounge, rooms and pool/beach area. Please keep up the good work Raphael and Jakob in Agadir!

Room Tip: On the inside of the 'U', with view on the pool area
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Hoeff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

Not sure where to start really, so let's start with the good! The aesthetic look of the hotel is very impressive, and spotlessly clean( the cleaning staff need to be noted as superb and very pleasant). The pool area was pretty and very refreshing. The room was large and had everything you need.

Now the not so good, the food in general was ok breakfast was excellent but lots of queuing for freshly cooked eggs and pancakes, lunch was a bit repetitive well a lot and chaos kids running everywhere this was also the same at dinner, I know it's the parents responsibly to keep the kids in check but I do feel hotel management need to step in!! The kids were putting food on plates then back in the trays with there hands! Running up and down the isles and playing chase, also we sat next to 4 kids who had been aloud to go to dinner alone they were about 10yrs old! It just really spoiled dinner most evenings. I think the hotel should consider a separate adults only area or something.
The room was niceand had everything you need but the little extras you expect in 5 star were missing, no robes and slippers, the mini bar was only stocked once in the week we were there despite us leaving a tip and a note to ask for it to be stocked we were also a bit fobbed off when we asked at reception. The linen on the beds wasn't changed for the whole week( not a big deal but just to note)
The bar service was ok bit much better for the people who tipped which became very obvious, we tip at the end of the holiday when we have had good service maybe a bit daft but that's how we do it!! Drink really good quality I don't feel they were watered down a some have suggested.

The sunbeds issues is as described I have never in all my years had to set an alarm to get up on holiday to get a sun bed but if you didn't you didn't have one!!

This hotel has the potential to be amazing good location, beautiful building but a few issues that really need addressing.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Sueaust76
Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Being a hotel manager myself, I can only view this propery as objectively as anyone views my own hotel. Being honest, this hotel is a long way off its 5 star billing. Myself & partner have been fortunate to visit many similar advertised quaility hotels throughout the world but sadly (at the moment) this is hugely disappointing.
The room, on a plus point met our expectations, but we did pay for an upgrade to a suite. It was large, great view of the beach and definatley worth the money, if that's important to you. Other rooms had a view of the pool or of the concrete jungle next door. You pay your money, you take your choice. Having said this, the lift didn't work until the last day so it was a bit of a hike up four floors and with some early morning maintaince work being a little obtrusive at 7.30am this was annoying...
The food - where do I start? Some people liked it - my real honest opinion is that this is really, really below the standard the hotel is trying to achieve. They are trying hard to an extent, but herein lies the problem... They only have one effective restaurant open for breakfast, lunch & dinner to serve 700-800 guests. It is an absolute bun-fight to say the least!!!
Breakfast is ok with plenty of choice but a queue is the norm for eggs, pancakes, etc.
However, don't go for the late breakfast idea in the poolside restaurant 10.30 - 12.00 - it is a joke - no food, juice, bread.. and the staff are still pouring water on the floor to clean it around you and setting up for lunch.
Lunch is a disgrace - it is the same food every service - salad, pizza and some fried offerings. But the massive demand from kids, locals and the vast number of people hitting the woefully small cooking stations meant the queues weren't worth waiting for! Youness, however, was fab - attentive, and proactive in his service.
Dinner.......now begins the real issue with the hotel. Most people go on an all-inclusive holiday hoping for the best in a five-star hotel with hopes for reasonable food and service. The reality is that the 'Riu Palace' has a main buffet restaurant that holds 350 people in what can only be described as a canteen layout with rows upon rows of tables. Table-clothed, yes, but still reminds me of queuing for school dinners...Had to wait on 2 nights for half an hour to be sat and then queue again for the same salad, pizzas, fried offerings etc. And also wait for wine service and wait for the table to be cleared infront of you from the previous occupants! Wait, you will do at this restaurant - so be prepared when they are busy and it is really, really not worth waiting for..
The Krystal restaurant, however, IS five star, with 'proper' service albeit a limited menu - but a refreshing change to queues and empty food stations..
All previous comments about the sunbeds are absolutely true - get up at 7.30am to get a fighting chance..again, be warned...
All in all, a really disappinting 5-star hotel, they have a lot to do, but I wish Rafael and his team(who did his best to remedy the situation too late) the best of luck.

13 Thank adrian_vanessa
Manchester England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We have just returned from this hotel (or should I say kindergarten) after what was supposed to be a lovely relaxing 11 night stay.

This is a large and stunning looking hotel. The great reviews on here with regard to the rooms and décor in the public areas are spot on and I really can’t add any more. There are some areas not yet finished though, the indoor pool still has wires sticking out where lights should be, a few of the stairwells lack lights too. The gardens are lovely and will be even better once established; gardeners and outside staff work tirelessly at ensuring the immaculate appearance of all the lawns and flower beds and really are the unsung heroes of this place.
Our first three days were everything we hoped for and more. However I don’t think this hotel has been running at full capacity thus far until the start of the Moroccan school holidays which coincided with our time there..

The staff suddenly appeared to be under a lot of pressure either through insufficient numbers or poor training. The restaurant or bar staff really couldn’t cope. Mealtimes were a harrowing experience at best with hundreds of children in the dining rooms. Many were allowed to run around the food serving areas unsupervised, spilling food on the floor and handling food without the serving tongs and then putting it back, running round where people were walking about with hot plates of food. I had quite a nasty fall on spilt juice as the tiles around the serving areas are black and shiny and lethal when wet. One boy decided it would be great to use the paths between the tables as a race track and ran from the back to the front of the restaurant, this continued for ten minutes or so and this inappropriate behaviour during our evening dinner was left unchecked by either manager, staff or parents, all this while people were trying to have their evening meal.

Lunchtimes in the smaller restaurant near the pool/beach were an absolute bun fight. Although the food was cooked fresh in small quantities it just wasn’t enough and huge queues formed with people grabbing at the food as soon as it was put out. The hot food serving stations are just not big enough to cope with the amount of people trying to get served. On several occasions there were no clean plates, no food and 20+ deep queues. The lighting in the pool/beach restaurant was very poor too making the whole place seem very gloomy. If you are a couple be prepared to be moved by the staff during your lunch as larger families/groups ask for your table so it can be pushed up to other tables to accommodate them. Again there was a lot of spilled food on the floor. The notice board outside the main restaurant advertised that it would be open for lunch but it never happened – this would have alleviated the problems at the small pool restaurant. We chose to sit outside at lunch time as the noise level inside was horrendous. The service there wasn’t great either, on one occasion the waiter was carrying some plates that he had collected from another table when he came to remove an empty plate from our table, as he bent forward waste food and olive stones from the dirty plates in his hands fell off these plates onto my lunch. Not great.

All this sounds like I wasn’t prepared for a family hotel but in all honesty I have never seen as many children in a hotel in all my 30 odd years travelling experience.
Although the food appeared to be cooked fresh and well-presented both my husband and I had severe gastric upsets that lasted quite a few days.
We ate in the Krystal Restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it however the Moroccan Restaurant left a lot to be desired, poor, slow service, flat champagne, and though my husband’s meal was fine mine was so salty it was inedible.

Some of the staff were outstanding and genuinely worked very hard but there seemed to be an element of staff that were apathetic and really worked hard at avoiding making eye contact, effectively ignoring you when you were waiting to get served, especially noticeable in the main lobby bar. There was a waiter service of sorts in the lobby bar but it seemed to be hit and miss. Likewise near the pool, occasionally a waiter would come and take a drinks order but very often your order didn’t materialise. Occasionally a waiter would go round the pool with a drinks trolley, nice touch to get your drinks brought to you at your sunbed but unless you were bathing near the general thoroughfare you didn’t get to use this service.
If you want a sunbed be prepared to take an alarm clock or arrange your early morning call. Some days were like turf wars over sunbeds and space. Some of the mattresses on the sun loungers were filthy too, especially the ones on the ‘fixed’ concrete sun loungers around the edge of the bathing area.

Come on Riu! This isn’t the first new hotel you have ever opened, listen to your clients and act on what they want. Get this place finished off properly, get your staff trained up, teach them how to smile for a start, supply more sunbeds and most importantly get the mealtimes and restaurants sorted out, instigate some health and safety before there is a serious accident. Only then will this hotel be worthy of the 5* accreditation.

10 Thank MrandMrsSky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Arrived on what seems to be the normal Thomson flight about 11pm and greeted by welcoming staff.
We only knew about the buffet from other reviews on trip advisor, our rep or staff at the hotel didn't tell us.
Welcome meeting was good and informative. We only did one trip, the massage!! Bit unsure at first when picked up with other couples as taken into the local town and down a back street to be left and a dark and clam reception area of a 'house'. But after the manager chatted with us put us at ease and were taken upstairs couple by couple. All I can say is amazing!!! 2hrs went so quick and felt so relaxed!! Definatly worth £60 a couple!!!
We spent most of our time by the pool... But fought for our sunbeds and parasols every day!! Pool lovely and big with activities going on throughout the day, no pressure to join in from the staff. Most days one barman would come round with a drinks trolley otherwise you can chose from the 3 other outside bars. Pool bar didn't seem ready but I'm sure at peak times will be buzzing!
Food we couldn't falt...enjoyed all meals everyday. Lots of choice of fresh cooked food all the time. We eat at both the
A la carte and moroccan restaurants. A la carte we went to twice 1st amazing 2nd time not so much but it's free so why not go, did lack atmosphere tho. The
Moroccan was ok didn't really rate it.
Drinks were great... Drank champagne and cocktails for 10days solid!!!
Rooms were lovely and spacious. we had a pool view room but only 2 rooms in on the 3rd floor from the main bar area so evening entertainment could be heard but didn't bother us at all.
Staff were lovely and would great you whatever their position in the hotel.
We walked one cloudy afternoon to the marina, it is about 2miles each way so not a good walk for hot sunny day. To be honest there's not a lot down there. You did get stopped by locals selling bits but they weren't much bother. If you go to any of the little shops locally they have the same thing in each one and guess what 'everything's half price today madam'!!!!
Overall we had an amazing relaxing and hot sunny holiday, just what we wanted!!!

• Stayed June 2012