Just returned from 8 nights at the Sofitel Thalassa Sea and Spa and have mixed feelings.
When we arrived I thought it all looked wonderful.
- the look of the hotel is stylish
- the welcome was friendly and efficient
- the room had a great layout and design features (although the light switches took a little getting used to)
- outside areas were well designed and looked after
- quality of food was very good
- spa pool was impressive
But... there were a few things that began to take the shine off, such as
- the cleaning service was very hit and miss, under the bed was filthy (only noticed as I dropped something under there - found a bracelet from a previous resident!)
- the fridge, although a great bonus, wasn't replenished daily so we were often without water, tea or milk which was annoying
- the pool staff were never that attentive, which wasn't that problematic as we're capable of setting ourselves up, but when there were no clean towels out and we asked for some I watched the member of staff walk to the end of the pool, take towels off 2 beds then walk around the corner and fold them back up so they looked new then give them to his colleague to give to us, to give the impression they were clean! This really didn't impress and when I pulled him up on it he feigned ignorance so I demanded he got clean towels from the spa, after all who wants to lie on used towels!!!
- also every day, due to an allergy, we asked for a club sandwich without egg for lunch and this was only done 2 out of 5 times... really shouldn't be that hard.
- in the buffet restaurant for dinner we would be waiting for ages before we could order a drink, most of the time we would have to wave frantically to get someone's attention.
- and lastly, I'm afraid to say it, if you don't speak French or have children, you are somewhat invisible... and on the subject of children, there were quite a few more than we expected at a hotel which really should be adults only, as there are no facilities for the little darlings. So if you're going as a couple for a romantic break beware that there will be children whose parents don't seem to care about it being your one week of the year to relax in peace and quiet!
So, little things, but when you're paying for 5 star you expect 5 star service, and the Sofitel Thalassa Sea and Spa just didn't quite deliver so I'm not sure I'd return. Having experienced top service at other 5 star hotels I can honestly say that this is more important than double sun loungers or designer hanging chairs... although these are nice too!
And beware the Agadir mist! We had no idea about it prior to booking but after 3 days of cold grey weather we are certainly aware of it now!
Note: don't book the transfers though Expedia with Sahara, they were rather shabby
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, ACCOR and Travelocity so you can book your Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.