“Just don't go” 2 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
$87.81*
and up
Full-Day Private Tour to Ourika Valley including Guided Trek and Lunch from...
Ranked #83 of 635 things to do in Morocco
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ourika valley situated at a short distance from Marrakesh 60 km. While traveling along the Ourika valley you will enjoy beautiful landscapes, from walnuts, wiping willow and poplar trees, to its mountains and rocks varying in color from red to green.
Lisbon, Portugal
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Just don't go”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at Marrakech and I went on a day tour to the valley of Ourika, 2 hours by car and a visit some berberes villages that manufactered the argan oil befor we get to the village. The road is poor, the dirty, garbage and debris of plastics are everywhere. In the end its a small stream with poor restaurants.

Visited October 2012

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Tour touristy and littered but driving there is beautiful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We booked a private tour for two via our Riad. Very expensive in hindsight at 45euros per person which didnt include lunch (25 euro) or guide for the wterfalls (15euro - you dont need one). The drive to the waterfalls and having tea with our driver were in fact our highlight as the waterfalls were full of tourists, cafes, plastic bottles littering everywhere and shops trying to sell you their stuff for the good of the Berber organisation (proof was ahown via a laminated card) which I am not sure is the same thing as the ethical and organised co-operatives. Cannot see how a Berber factory can churn out all the same plates for the whole of Marrakesh, heard that it is likely they are now made in China (that is a rumour). Recommend going to the approved co-ops to buy souvineers where the money provides decent salaries to the people working there in good working conditions, otherwise you will be paying whatever price they can get for the souvineers, we were definitely seen as a euro ticket on this trip, bit disheartening but putting that aside the drive through the Atlas Mountains is stunning and so cool to be out of the city in the countryside. A must see drive experience! The waterfalls aren't that high and unless they clean it up a bit, I would not recommend going, sorry Marrakesh, I know it's your star tourist spot but it needs some serious tlc.

6 Thank LDN_chica
London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ourika waterfalls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We really enjoyed this tour. There are 5 waterfalls in total and while the 1st was busy, if you can make the treck to the top it is well worth it and far less people around. It can be sloppy so make sure you wear shoes with good grip, bring water and don't carry too much. I would definitely recommend getting a guide as it is far safer and they know where they are going.

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A nice day away from Marrakech”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We decided to hire a grand taxi for half a day which cost 500 dirhams . The driver took us to Ourika Valley which took an hour , he dropped us at a Berber Village without us actually asking to be but I think this is just standard for all cabbies and you get the sales pitch to buy Argan oil . I didn't need it but thought what the hell and bought a bottle for 100 dirhams , it's an income for them .  Arriving in the main street to start the walk up to the waterfalls is baffling as there are no signs on where to go and as for using shops as an indicator - there are shops and stalls everywhere . We ended up succumbing and getting a guide for 100dirhams as he kept pestering us ,  a young boy who was very pleasant though and quick on his feet  . We could have tried it ourselves but atleast he could make some cash out of it . The valley is beautiful and so fresh  , welcomed after the dirt and  chaos in Marrakech . There are streams of water everywhere and the food being sold looked so delicious . You can sit on tables and chairs in the streams . It's a bit of a walk and you definitely are better off with trainers . I did it in sturdy sandals and just about managed , though because it's wet it gets tricky . The waterfall is lovely to see and sit by . All in all a lovely day and a must see .

1 Thank Tmaj
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I think the real problem here is that it was just so packed with people, hundreds and hundreds, all trying to negotiate the sometimes quite difficult route. You end up queueing to get up, basically. If it was a beauty site in Britain, I'd avoid it like the plague. I was having to concentrate so hard on the climb up and down bearinf in mind that there were peolpe ahead of me waiting to get down, and people behind me waiting to follow me up, that I didn't have time to look around and enjoy the views, actually weren't that great, to be honest. And the litter! Such a shame. An unbelievable number of stalls lining the route, all the owners trying to persuade you to buy, buy, buy. The waterfall was pretty but we could barely see it because of all the people. Heaven only knows what it's like at weekends when apparently it's really, REALLY busy!