Hotel El-Djazair Ex Saint George
New Day(Algiers)
$118
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnice gardenhistoric hotelrich historynorth africachinese cuisineworld warfamous guestsnooks and cranniessaint georgeold buildingswimming poolbit datedold world charmrooms are spaciousclose to the city centervery nice hoteleisenhower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 5, 2012

i'm a heavy traveler, I'm not picky.. but my experience with EL-Djazair Hotel is the worst one yet considering it as a 5 Stars hotel. May be I would not have been writing this if I were going to stay in a 1 star hotel or a Starless one.
The list is long but I will put it into points:

- I had to change the room 2 times in my first night and one time next day.
- The hotel is very hot "AC is very weeak"
- The hotel cannot provide a press for the clothes to rooms ! I have to give it to them to press it for me.
- Breakfast is a 3 stars standard continental breakfast
- Can't take coffee from breakfast place to the outside garden while eating, you must order from the garden.
- Everything you normally do or ask for in a 5 stars hotel they tell you "NOT ALLOWED", you will feel like living in a military base.
- One a public holiday day while all the hotel guests (the majority) for business are off, the swimming pool is closed for a private function, so I had to spent a long hot day in my old ugly room.
- The TV has only French channels, although I speak french but no nice entertaining channels.
- The security people treats guests' guests in a non respectful way... it happened with one of my friends... its a long stroy but shows no respect for anyone who is a walking by guest.
- I was shocked when I saw security cameras in every corner in the dining rooms of the hotel and the bar.. this is a very unusal place so they can monitor people eating drinking etc..
- You cannot have food between 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm unless its room service all outlets do not provide food!!! sounds to me like 2 stars hotels..

I was suppose to stay in the hotel for 18 nights but I'm leaving now to another hotel after 3 nights. As I wrote my review even before leaving the hotel.

Regret to be in this hotel even for one night..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Emad B
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Having the desire for a hotel with character, comfort and greenery, El-Djazair was a very welcome place to be. Known to many as the St. George, its historic name and indeed, a place of history..the rooms were spacious, staff accommodating and the outdoor terrace and greenery were a wonderful place to enjoy a drink or meal. The indoor lobby, adjacent to the outdoors, are a display of the hotel's history, with photographs of the hotel's many past guests; Gen Omar Bradley, Gen (and former US President) Dwight Eisenhower (who also made it his office during WW 2), Albert Camus, Baron de Rothschild and Cheb Khaled, to name but a few.

Having read some reviews that were negative, I was a bit reluctant to pay the fare and be disappointed. So, I initially paid less in other hotels and was clearly disappointed (one of which is also reviewed on Trip Advisor). So, sometimes, the additional cost proves worth the splurge. Such was the case here...

In Algiers, if one wants comfort, greenery, good service with spacious rooms and ambiance, having researched many Algiers hotels...I don't think one can find anything that comes close!

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the gardens. (see attached photos of garden and lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JerryTheRugGuy
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This place is old and charming with a wonderful UNESCO classified garden.
This place, full of history, has accomodated many, and among them the headquarter of dwight eisenhower during WWII.
The room are bit old and the old need renovation. Food is average but staff is excellent. The disco is also good on thursday evening. A nice play to stay in Alger and Very secure.
To be recommanded, but we are far from a classical 5 stars hotel...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Uatu2000
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The hotel is indeed a landmark of Algiers, famous and full of history. It is definitely worth a visit and a drink in the garden. Staying there on a business trip is another thing. Rooms are very small, oldish and room service is pricy. I don't think it is a business friendly hotel: internet connection was slow, working areas in the room very tight. Staff at the checkout was unpolite, but I found great staff at the gym so it somehow compensates. Overall for that money you would definitely expect better.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Roberto370
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Hotel El-Djazair is an old hotel with french colonial style mixed with local arabian decor.

The hotel is conveniently located in Algiers, close to downtown, but we need go by taxi.

My comments are:

PROS
1. Good location
2. Excellent food at algerian restaurant
3. Very good breakfast
4. Spacious rooms. I didn;t experience noise as other travellers commented. My room had a nice sea view.
5. Very nice garden with a relaxing atmosphere
6. Nice terrace bar
7. Extreme security measures

CONS
1. Wifi connection is unstable and suffered some shortcuts.
2. Some places are quite old.
3. Personnel not fluent in english
4. Not easy place to walk around in the vicinity
5. Bathroom is old
6. Chinese food at oriental restaurant must be avoided
7. Relation price with service is not adequate

Room Tip: Rooms looking to sea are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business