“Simply Resistable”
Review of El Aurassi Hotel

El Aurassi Hotel
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Algiers
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Only been here 12 hours so far, but this hotel, far from being ' the best in Algiers' is far from that. At lunch the Arabian Tea was served warm and without mint. I have been moved once because of a lack of heating in my room ...........to another room where the heating does not work. Having left the engineers looking into the problem, Have returned from dinner to my fridge. Yay !

To boot - we were charged £100 STG for a San Pietro for 2 - cheap at half the price. The response to our surprise at such a charge was ... we have charged that for the last 2 years. Well, we will be returning to Algiers many times in the next couple of years, but just not to this very very average establishment.

Room Tip: Corner suites are chilly.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RALPH D
There are newer reviews for El Aurassi Hotel

Reviewed November 21, 2013

It's not for sure a 5 stars hotel (not for the European standard)! The staff is sometimes useless with a very very poor English. The view of the hotel is outstanding due to its position. You can notice even from far going from the airport to the city. It's just on top of Algiers with a great view. Overall nothing really special, but the price was out of any undestandable reason. 300USD per night.... not even in the real 5 stars in the center of European cities you would pay that much!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Cristiano M
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Disappointed. Agree with other reviews of travelers. I speak broken French and was looked at with disgust because I am not fluent and did not speak Arabic.
Regardless of me putting the DO NOT DISTURB sign on my door, the maid barged in my room woke me up. Then the other 2 days she again ignored the sign and moved my things all around and took my key. When I went to front desk to complain I was looked at like I had three heads and I was in the wrong. My coworkers and I ate at the Italian restaurant at 10 pm Monday evening then Tuesday night we go back same time and was told it was closed. We go to the restaurant in the lobby and was told the only thing available was the buffet for 35 euros. Eventhough room service is 24 hours a day those menus items were not available. When we go to get the food at the buffet everything had been turn off so it was all cold, there were no desserts, the rolls were rocks and when we complained were told sorry that's all we have and were still charged full price. Definitely will not return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank coronashines
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel and I really do not think it is a 5 star. The only 5 stars about it are the rooms: they are brand new, renovated, modern and spacious. As far as the rest is concerned, here it is:

* Breakfast: the poorest I have ever seen. It is more like in a 3 star hotel. Presentation is very poor. Limited choice. Not tasty
*Room Service: very limited choice. When I say limited, I mean about 5 or 6 main meal option to pick from. Do not expect any butter, ketchup or whatsoever to come with the tray. It is food and food only!
* Staff: depends on your luck! At check in the 2 ladies at reception were cold like an iceberg: no smile or whatsoever. At check out the gentleman was very polite.
*Health Club: brand new equipment for cardio, weights and free weights. NO TV in the gym. There is a sauna and a hammam too.

The hotel is in the middle of the city so traffic is bad. Make sure you get a sea facing room or you would be missing THE feature of this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MrFrequentTraveler
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

I would love to know who gave this hotel 5 stars. Don't get me wrong it's a lovely hotel that has recently been modernised to a very good standard,which I would easily give it 4 stars. But what lets this hotel down is the staff, if your not French speaking they look at you in disgust even when you try. Front of house staff are very unprofessional and are on mobile chatting whilst you wait to be severed, the coffee shop on the main floor D being the worst. The porters are really good and alway want to help, sham the rest of the staff aren't.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed October 4, 2013

First of all, I really cannot understand the bad reviews from others since I don't what they expect...
Anyways, I flew out of Dubai for a 3 nights escape to catch up with my wife in El Aurassi and despite minor challenges, all went perfect!
I was in room 927 (top floor) with the usual breathtaking view of Algiers.
I spent also an entire day at the pool which is awesome with a 5 meters depth!
For the deposit, you may choose the option "No Post" which means that you'll settle on the spot any consumption.
Finally, it's by far the best in Algiers compared with the others such as the Sheraton which is way too old now as well as very far, or Hilton or Sofitel...
I advise to prepay your booking online to avoid hassle of method of payment.

Room Tip: Ask always for the last floor (9th) and the sea view rooms at the end of the corridor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BenicioDelToro77
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Businessman with a lot of travel experience writing these.

This is the first time I had to write a comment about o hotel, so people had to know about my experience...
Already stayed there 3 different occasions (I had to) and 8 nights all together.
You cannot bring any food or beverage from outside. Even you put them in your bag, they scan everything on x-ray machine. Security(!)
Tap water is not drinkable so there goes euros for bottle of waters.
In my last stay I was asked to pay 75000 dinar (750€) in advance to stay 2 nights, even though it was now my fourth time (I had to) in the hotel and paid a lot of money so far myself and company employees. My colleague was also asked to pay deposit.
Deposit means for them, full payment of the stay and expenses that you "may" make.
Deposit applied randomly, so you may be the lucky one.
Breakfast is not included, and you have to pay 25€ for just for breads, coffee, overcooked eggs and cheeses.
Restaurants open at 7 PM, do not get hungry before 7PM.
People at the reception "acts" like they can understand english but they definitely cannot.
They look at your face and speak in "french" with attitude (they are not even french, ı do not understand the attitude part)
Hospitality is 50 years behind from any other hotel in the world.
Rules are changed and applied based on the employees decision.
I know book for any other hotel now. better location better place, better hospitality

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business