“Good hotel, but far out”
Review of Hilton Alger

Hilton Alger
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Algiers
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton for about 5 days on a business trip and it was actually pretty nice with super friendly staff.

The rooms:
I got a sea view room which was fantastic. The rooms are equipped with new televisions and a handy alarm clock. The bed was quite comfortable as well.
Generally speaking the room is clean however the carpet has a significant amount of lint.
A number of channels on TV were also a bit fuzzy.

The bathroom:
Being spacious is about the only positive about the bathroom, the main problems with it are the fact that the shower isn't probably sealed and therefore after the morning shower it looks like a tsunami hit the bathroom and the tiles are a bit old with a number of cracks.

The service:
The service is extremely friendly and there is a general vibe of people wanting to do their best to serve. However, professionalism is another thing.
Smiles are abundant, advice and prompt responses are free flowing.
Housekeeping truly DO make up the room, hang your clothes, clean the room and make is speckles. The laundry also deserve special praise, they were lightning fast to come collect and return.
However a number of incidents occurred that shouldn't have.
1. around 2000 usd was blocked on my credit card cause they couldn't find my company's PO. After they found it, they claimed that this is the normal amount they block in case I order room service and the like. I was asked by the reception when checking out why they had blocked such a large amount :)
2. The concierge wasn't the best I had seen. whenever I check-in to any hotel I ask the concierge for a map, ask them to mark where we are and where the main sights are. I asked the same thing, they were able to produce a map, but couldn't point out most of the main sights nor where the hotel was with jokes being made along the lines of "we're not google maps"
3. When I would forget my keys and approach reception for a new key they would only ask for the room number without verifying who I am, which was worrying, I could have stated any room number. Same thing happened with house keeping, my key didn't work, the lady simply asked me if it was my room, I said yes, she opened it for me with her master key.

The restaurant:
The food was pretty good for both breakfast and lunch. The waiters made sure that nothing ever ran low.

The location:
It is actually pretty far out from the city center. The location only becomes an asset if you want something near the airport (10 mins away) or you have work in the nearby business tower which hosts a number of multinationals.

What I liked: the friendliness of the staff
what I disliked: the professionalism.

Bottom line a recommended hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
amirouche a, Manager at Hilton Alger, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

At first I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a comment, following your recent stay at Hilton Alger.

Any comments from you is appreciated, as it allows us to improve the quality of services that we offer to our guests.

I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in our hotel.

I remain at your entire disposal, and please accept the expression of my highest consideration.

Amirouche Aithamouda

Reviewed May 28, 2013

You feel like back home with all those friendly personal that meets you with a big smile even the one that might not have a direct contact with them and luxury rooms that you can feel it with the Mini Bar , LCD TV 42 , desk for your paper work use and king bed under good prices . I am sure u will love it .

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
amirouche a, Manager at Hilton Alger, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. Your report will be shared with our team and help us to improve our service.

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Alger and I do hope that I will have the pleasure to welcome you on the occasion of your next trip to Algeria.

Manager

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hilton Alger is a good place to stay ! Very nice lobby with bar.... large rooms, clean and a very comfortable bed... The staff is very helpfull...and will make your stay most enjoyable.................

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest,

Manager

Reviewed April 17, 2013

It is definitely not a 5 star hotel, not even a 3rd one.
I agree that the lions statues in front of the hotel, the marble in the reception the chandelier would want to create the impression of a luxury hotel but i think little attention should be given to details as well such as the old smelly furniture in the room, cleaning the bathroom and actually having clean extra blankets in the room.
The heating did not work so it would get quite chilly in the night.
The breakfast was average to say the best - the pastries however were pretty awful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
amirouche a, Manager at Hilton Alger, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Mrs. Diana ,

Thak you for choosing Hilton Alger and for taking time to share your experience. i informe you that your comments will be shared with our staff to improve the quality of service

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

If you like to walk this is not your hotel. It is very far from everywhere. The staff was mostly unfriendly expect women. There was one lady at concierge desk who was very helpful. The others rather lied that something is not possible than helped. The lobby bar is nice and there was piano music every evening. The lobby is like Hiltons everywhere but our room was not in "Hilton level", for example broken linen (holes). Breakfast was varied but expensive (18 e).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
amirouche a, Manager at Hilton Alger, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear Sir,

I have noted your comments with great interest and we are all sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations.

I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you in our hotel.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

A 1 night stop over in Algiers so I wanted somewhere handy for the airport, chose the Hilton as they offer a free pick-up and collection sirport shuttle.

The first thing to realise is that in Algiers you don't have a great choice of 'Western' hotels, and those that do exist are quite expensive.

I landed just after lunchtime, the Hilton has a kiosk in the arrivals hall where you can go and ask for the shuttle. You can wait inside the room there until it arrives. The hotel itself is abouta 15 minute drive from the airport, it's based outside of the centre in a area near the main shopping centre 'Arbis'.

Security is very tight, so checks on the vehicle that enter the compound and then a check as you enter the lobby of your bags give a good feeling of being secure. Check-in was fairly painless, although I'd suggest maybe a member of staff short for a faster service.

I was given a room on the 11th floor, which is an 'Executive floor'. This meant that I could have my breakfast in the Executive lounge on the 2nd floor, and also that I had free wi-fi in my room. The room is a good size, and although the decor is slightly dated, it's all clean and doesn't look at all shabby. Nice size flat screen TV with a good choice of channels. A large balcony that stretches the whole length of your room is a nice place to get some fresh air.

The bathroom was also a good size, again a little dated but very clean and showing no obvious sings of wear. Good selection of products on hand.

Breakfast was also ok, although it was very quiet in the club lounge when I as there so some of the choices didn't look too appetising as they'd been sitting there for sometime. Good selection though, so no problems.

The onsite 'official' taxis are a bit of a rip off. they basically quite lazy and charge exorbitant prices to take you anywhere. My first trip to Algiers so I asked the concierge the best way to get around and see the sties and she suggested that I use the taxi for a 4 hour tour of the city at a set price. I agreed but within 2 hours the driver was bored and wanted to get back to the hotel to get another punter, although he'd only shown me 2 places. Very lazy. Don't bother, source your own local taxi driver if you can/

Overall, as long as you don't mind being outside the centre this is a good choice and I'd have no problems staying here again. Just avoid the 'official' taxi drivers parked up onsite.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Blackheathbloke

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor.

We were delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your overall stay with us at the Hilton Alger Thank you for staying with us and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The staff there were excellent, enoyed the stay...We had great dinners and the breakfast buffet was quite varied. Rooms were nice, but the air conditioning could have been better.....I woul definitely return and this time I would like it better if the pool had been filled....

Room Tip: Face the ocean, nice breeze....
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
amirouche a, Manager at Hilton Alger, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. I am happy you enjoyed your stay.
and i informe you that your comments will be shared with our staff.

Please do not hesitate to contact as for your next stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards