“This must be the best hotel in Algiers”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Alger

Hilton Alger
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Algiers
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This must be the best hotel in Algiers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I was here for a week, for a business trip - the Hilton was hosting a conference I was attending. Although my stay had a rough start, it was ultimately a pretty nice stay in a pretty nice hotel.

Check-in and Check-out - For me, this went smoothly - the staff speak English, French and Arabic well. They had my reservation and there were no problems.

Lobby - This was always crowded, but there was always a place to sit down and wait for people. There is security and metal detector in the lobby. By the concierge there was a variety of newspapers - Algierien in French and English, and then American, French, and other newspapers that were mimeographed.

Room - I had the deluxe room with sea view. I wanted the bare bones single but they were out of them, this was the next one up. I had a really nice private balcony with views of the city and the "beach". (It's not much of a view. There's sand and water, but there's not really much going on and it's not a beach for sunning. There is some construction happening, too.) But the balcony was really nice. The room was nicely decorated and had everything I needed, including TV with some English, French and I think German channels. The bed was really comfortable, the desk was totally fine for my purposes, there were enough plugs for my devices and the wifi was fine. There was plenty of closet space and the bathroom was fine. I had some problems with my safe and with the wifi in the beginning - they couldn't fix either one, and they sent me to another room, and then it was fine. I did have problems throughout the week, though, with my room key not working. They'd make me new ones over and over again, but still the same problems. I didn't have anything magnetic, the concierge said that there were problems with the locks, that they were old and the hotel was in the process of replacing them but had only completed up to the third floor. Some of my colleagues had similar issues as the week progressed.

Service - As I mentioned, the concierge and I got pretty friendly over the week as I was supposed to tell him each time when I needed a new key. He was always good natured about it though, and was a nice guy. The bellmen were fine and the shuttle to the airport (which we needed to take in the middle of the night) was on time and well done.

Room Service - I tried this once, but it didn't thrill me. It was nothing compared to the quality in the restaurants.

Restaurants - I dined in two of these and then also had the experience of the conference receptions, lunches, dinners, etc. The food was outstanding. We ate at the Middle Eastern/Algerian/Mediterranean restaurant and there was a super music ensemble playing - it was a really nice atmosphere. Later we ate at the French restaurant - which did serve wine - and it was also outstanding. The food was great. There's a little coffee area that's pretty expensive - come to think of it a lot was very expensive in this hotel - but it was nice to have coffee in the morning because there was no breakfast provided. The coffee area was open past midnight so that we had it in the evening too. They also have lemon mint, although each time I ordered it, it came out different!

Fitness Center - This is in the basement and they provide towels and water. I went every morning and there's personal TVs on all the apparatus - I just used the treadmill and the elliptical. There is a track/path out the back of the fitness center and I saw lots of people jogging and walking on it - it's basically walking on the beach (I got this view from my room). But when I tried to do that, the fitness center manager said that I shouldn't do that, that it wasn't safe. It was okay for the men, but women shouldn't do it. There's a pool but it was too cold to swim.

Business Center - I needed to print out and amalgamate a mass of documents off of my email. They didn't charge me for internet access, and they were able to provide me with what I needed - mostly black and white, but a couple of color docs. They weren't cheap, though.

Shops - Here lies my biggest disappointment. One of the shops - an interesting one - wasn't owned by the Hilton and the proprietor only apparently came in when he felt like it. There was a sign with hours but it was all lies. There was also a phone no, and when I called it he said he would come in and be there in about 20 minutes. An hour later - nothing. The other shop was full of little trinkets but it's Hilton-owned - the copy center person will open it for you. The trinkets and clothes and artwork - it's all incredibly expensive. If you are in my situation and don't have an opportunity to get souvenirs somewhere else - well, good luck.

Conference Facilities - The conference rooms were a bit off of the lobby, but not far to get to. The rooms were the right size, acoustics were fine, the set up was fine, and the coffee and tea breaks were done nicely.

Overall - a pleasure, and a nice stay. The people in the hotel were extremely warm and welcoming.

3 Thank philsdottir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Doha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

Don't expect customer service to be that good. this is already a good hotel in Algiers. It's not very close to the city center. there are also no restaurants nearby. you have to eat from the hotel or if you want to go out you have to take a taxi. rooms are also good though a bit old. room service is poor.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank royrocks
kuwait
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

To start with, this a continuation of the poor Hilton standards and I'm not amazed at all. This assessment was made based on the following reasons:

Location. Isolated in the middle of no where adding to this it is very difficult to get a taxi as it will take the concierge ages o get you one.
Staff. Unfriendly and not knowledgable.
Rooms. Poor furniture, smelly bed linens and destroyed bath towels and very poor quality toiletries.
Food. Totally tasteless. Hot beverages will be served warm if not room temperature.

5 Thank Toney A

Travelers are raving about these Algiers hotels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

As Hilton's go this one is just about average for amenities and quality.
I was here for business and the hotel is fine for that. Location is good - on the airport side of town. Casbah restaurant was something a little different - local foods served with some style and a quartet playing traditional music in the background. The lobby seems to be a popular place to meet for business. The lobby can be bustling but noise levels do not prevent having a business meeting in the lobby bar and coffee shop. I would happily stay here again on business.

1 Thank Decentbloke
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

During my two months business tour in Algeria I was staying in the Hilton Alger hotel. The hotel given me 20% discount as I had book two months before. All staffs of this hotel are friendly and helping mind. The Hilton Alger hotel offers standard services, I didn’t get any problem even I was staying 15 days in this hotel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank journeyidea
Carrara
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Hotel is located east of old Algiers next to the Convention Center. I was told the area around is dangerous at night. It looks like in an industrial area...
The standard of the the facility is definetly back 10/12 years ago... lobby is nice with free wifi.. 4 restaurants: french cuisine, algerian, buffet style and bar. at peak time of the day it's hard to find a spot to sit
room is fairly sized, clean. TV is old and bathroom is clean enough.
access to lounge gave me free breakfast.health club is small but well equipped.swimming pool only outside, no good for winter time.
free shuttle to the airport (10 mins away)
Hotel is overpriced, but not too many alternatives for int'l business travellers.

1 Thank Tuareg72
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

By the sea Side, beautiful location. Even if you cannot enjoy the sea, the view is fantastic. Regarding the property, well maintained, spacious rooms and good quality of food.
Good variety of restaurant.
Only problem encountered : No cash point machine within the hotel

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank matkay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Algiers
Sofitel Algiers Hamma Garden
Ibis Alger Aeroport
Ibis Alger Aeroport
#1 of 2 in Bab Ezzouar
Hotel El-Djazair Ex Saint George

Been to Hilton Alger? Share your experiences!