“better option than many others”

Brasserie des Facultes
Ranked #63 of 313 Restaurants in Algiers
Reviewed May 11, 2014

this feels like a normal restaurant with normal people in it. Prices are good by Algiers standards and being on Didouche Mourad, it is well placed for dropping in to, if not for finding a parking space. Likeable and quick on the food front. Not difficult to see why it's popular.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We were wandering around Algiers, terribly jet lagged, trying to find a place to have a nice lunch on a Friday. Hmmm.. Just as we were about to give up, we heard the clatter of a very busy restaurant. So we walked in and ordered lunch. Very prompt and efficient staff seated us and informed us there was only chicken left (it was almost 3 pm). So we had chicken. It was cooked in a homely kind of casserole, and it was delicious. Hit the spot nicely. This is a good restaurant, with supremely efficient waiters. Not great, but it stepped up to the mark.

I really wish that Algeria had a no smoking in restaurants legislation, but it doesn't so we kind of found the atmosphere quite smoky and as reformed smokers, this is a problem for us. Food and tobacco smoke don't go together!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I had a number of evening meals at the Brasserie des Facultes during a week's business trip to Algiers. I was never disappointed with the high standard of the food, particularly the European dishes on the varied menu, or the service by very professional and friendly waiters. A very welcoming, bustling atmosphere in a city where value-for-money restaurants are not easy to find.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We went to the ‘Fac’ a couple of times during a recent visit to Algiers. Toni1013's review immediately below seems entirely accurate: we too thought that it was a perfectly satisfactory place for an evening meal with a glass or two of wine.

The brasserie is right in the centre of the 19th Century colonial city, on the bay side of the rue Didouche Mourad at the place Audin, about a kilometre to the south of the Grande Poste.

By the way, despite the heading above, I think it’s actually called the Brasserie de la Faculté

1  Thank HedjazTraveller2
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I've always walked past this place on my way somewhere else, and wondered what it was like. Walking in, the first thing that we saw were some slightly tired looking fish in a counter. A little off putting but I was already in the mood for a steak.

The decor is dark and red with wooden tables and chairs. The whole thing feels like being in an alpine chalet, and clearly hasn't changed for decades. The menu was long and has the seventies French habit of calling dishes by another name. I.e. steak normande. Steak grande mere. Steak bordelaise etc. So you may need to ask what they all mean, but that was fine.

The waiter was very friendly and the food came quickly. My steak Normande (Creme fraiche and mushroom sauce for those that were wondering) was well cooked and came with good chips and a tasty ratatouille on the side. I followed that up with a Creme caramel which was home made and very good. They had beers and wine and, interestingly, a good list of whiskies. The place seems to double up as a bar. Will definitely go back to this place, especially as it is open on Friday night - unusual for a restaurant in Algiers.