“on the whole, ok and good value for money”
Review of Hotel Suisse

Hotel Suisse
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Algiers
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

hotel suisse is a small hotel well located in the city centre of algiers. its staff is friendly, the rooms are ok (size, cleanliness) though things are generally not in very good shape (curtains, cupboards, tv, etc.). wifi is for free and is quite fast. the surroundings can be noisy because of traffic and mosques around. breakfast is good, so is the restaurant even though it is badly located in the basement. all in all, the hotel is ok for the price you pay.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank MONODENGO

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is quite cheap compared to other hotels in the Capital. The hotel is not the worst and you will actually have good value for your money here compared to other hotels here. The staff are nice enough and tried to help. The breakfast is typical Frech. A small croissant and a cup of coffe. Not quite enough for me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We really enjoyed our time at Hotel Suisse. The front desk staff is incredibly friendly and helpful - very responsive and always willing to help. They arranged a great tour of the Casbah for us, the laundry service was quick, cheap and excellent, and we were always greeted with a smile. The rooms are quite nice, though it is clear the hotel was built many decades ago when tourism in Algeria was booming. That being said, they are spacious, well equiped with sizeable bathrooms/toilets, AC, TV, mini-fridge, etc. Excellent sound proofing so we got good sleep. The hotel is located directly in front of a police station, so there is excellent security and protected parking if you have your own car (be sure to call ahead so that they open the police baracade to let you into the small street where the hotel is located).

The bar area was incredibly smokey and full of men - most single/young women won't feel comfortable there, I think! Restaurant in the basement was good, reasonable prices and a very nice wine selection. Breakfast was the low point - not much selection and not very good food. Overall a great stay and would highly recommend Hotel Suisse.

Room Tip: The street-side rooms on the upper floors have a tiny little balcony and view of the city.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank kenneme
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The staff was very nice and the exteriour of the hotel newly renovated but it couldn't make up for the horribly bad (not renovated) room I got and the even more poor breakfast in the mornings. Maybe people who are used to have a small croissant and a cup of coffee/tea to breakfast are ok with it but I wasn't. The aircondition was not on in the basement where the breakfast room was so even though I had a shower in the morning, I walked from the breakfast room with sweat drops running down my back feeling unfresh. The A/C was there but nobody bothered to start it (or it was broken). My room was boring and depressing and the tiny bathroom (shower with wc) needed repair. When I booked on their websight the price was 5000 Dinars / night for a room for 1 person. When I got my bill when checking out the receptionist only pointed his finger on the wall where it said 6200. I didn't have the energy to discuss about it so I paid my 3 nights and promised myself never to come back again. Hotel Suisse is well placed on a small side street to Rue Didouche Mourad, a busy main street in the very central of Algiers. Maybe for business men who stay here a day or two it is ok, but for me it was uncomfortable and something I want to forget. There is a much much better hotel just outside Algiers which I went to instead. But hotel Suisse I never return to again...

Room Tip: Ask for another room if you are staying a longer time, my room was ugly and old. Maybe there are bet...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Amberinsea
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I spent just over a week at the Hotel Suisse. As a woman travelling alone on business, I was a bit apprehensive about my first visit to Algiers. Staying at this hotel has been a very positive experience. The staff are very professional and helpful.

The rooms are old-fashioned but spotlessly clean. The chambermaids also provide an excellent and very cheap same day laundry service.. The rooms have reliable, free high-speed internet - an essential for business travel.

The hotel restaurant is OK, a bit average - the couscous was very good - and they are happy to modify the menu items for you. But the restaurant is in the basement of the hotel which was a bit of a problem in the evening as, just like every restaurant I visited in Algiers, people smoke heavily throughout dinner. It was like having dinner in a cloud of smoke. For this reason, I preferred to have breakfast (only very simple - coffee, tea, orange juice, with croissants and jam) served in my room - a quick and cheap service (only an extra 50 DN). There is a very good restaurant nearby (3 minutes walk) called the "Caracoya" - ask the Reception desk for directions - which is a bit more light and airy and has very good Algerian food.

The hotel is situated just off one of the main shopping boulevards (although the shops close early in the evening and all day on Fridays) but was quiet in the evening. This may also be because it is opposite a police station so the side road is blocked off.

Women travellers please note that there are NO women on the street at night. Do not go out alone or on foot in the evening - take a taxi. Having said that, all the Algerians I met have been warm, welcoming and appreciative that I was visiting their country. I had no hassle at all. It does help if you can speak some French.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank WisdomEur
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I stayed for two nights at Hotel Suisse in March 2011 as a solo female business traveller. Their wifi connection was excellent and the room spotless. The decor was nothing to write home about but the room had everything you needed. It was well-heated (the winter is cold) and quiet. The staff were very friendly and helpful with booking taxis, except that they forgot to give me my passport back on the first day, and my credit card when I left. I remembered about my passport in good time but only realised I'd left my card behind once back in Britain. I would also argue that their insistence of people paying in cash is not very professional. Apart from that though, this is a good value address, particularly when considering the prices of high end hotels such as the Sheraton, and its location right in the centre of town.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank LuckyDuck777
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Nice hotel friendly staff, great price, clean and very well placed for tourism, loads of shops and good quality restaurants nearby, can't wait to go again

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple