“The individuals at the desk and handling breakfast did...”

Super 8 Ankeny/Des Moines Area

Super 8 - 206 SE Delaware Street, Ankeny, IA 50023
(515) 964-4503- phone
(515) 964-7647 - fax
www.super8.com/ankeny

Reservations made on May 25, 2014 (for June 15, 2014) for one queen bed for my 6-year old daughter and myself. I was also informed that the hotel has a pool. Price 59.99+7.20 for the night

June 15, 2014 Check in – 10:50 PM The pool was not available and no compensation or agreement with another hotel to use their pool was offered. I was also told that the hotel is under new ownership as of Feb. 2014. I was also told that the pool was in a “condemned” state and the management just fired the people working on it.

#1 - Room 227 – the ball lock was missing

#2 - Room 104 – the dead bolt wouldn’t lock

#3 - Room 108 – the dead bold wouldn’t lock and the bed spreads were badly stained

*Najeeb A., the manager, was called. I was told that he was at the store then I was told that he was next door at Kum and Go. During the course of the conversation Najeeb A. said that we woke him up because he was sleeping for his yoga class. In any case, he assured me that he’s never had any security issues at the hotel and the police station is just down the road. I explained that the rooms are not secure since the locks don’t work and I explained that I simply wanted a clean room where both locks work. He tip-toed back and forth between his argument of “no incidents” and “safe” rooms. He asked for a few minutes to check out a few rooms. I explained that a hotel should have the rooms cleaned and ready to go if they are renting them out. I did give him some time to find a suitable room though.

Najeeb A. found a “suitable” room explained that he could give me the room for 40.00+4.80 for the night. I explained that it wasn’t good enough since I had been there for 1 hour to check in and had already gone through 3 rooms. He said that there was nothing else he could do. I suggested that we call the owner. Najeeb A. used his phone and talked to someone within ear shot of me. He said it was the owner, IIc Kartikey. (sp?) Najeeb A. briefly explained that there was an unsatisfied customer and wanted a full refund. (He didn’t mention that we were on room #4 or that we were promised a pool that was not available.) The owner wouldn’t talk to me and wouldn’t give any refund. Najeeb A. explained that we woke the owner as he is currently on the east coast.

#4 Room 207 – Looked okay on the surface until I looked at the chair/foot stool, which looked like someone walked all over it with dirty shoes, sticky spots on the desk, mold in the freezer, and mold along the shower edge **pics were taken** I called the manager to view these items. After he left I used the restroom, but the toilet wouldn’t flush. I called him back and he took the lid off and noticed that the toilet chains were not all broken. **pic with the handle being pushed down and no water movement in the toilet**

#5 Room 116 – The keys didn’t work. Najeeb A. accompanied me to the room with a new set of keys. The bedding on both beds was badly stained, the toilet ran, and the mold all around the bathroom floor was disgusting.

After I was finally given my refund, I left and went across the street to Quality Inn. This whole process took 1 ½ hours.

3  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed June 11, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kristine F
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I wish I would have read the reviews before I stayed. From the beginning to the end of my one night stay I really can't say much good. Upon check-in the front desk staff was nice but the owner walked over to see what she was doing and when I didn't have my photo ID on me I was told I couldn't stay even though I had the card I used to reserve the room with. I got them talked into it and got to my room to notice the door was already partially open. Found out the door is very hard to get open or close all the way and the lock on the handle assembly didn't latch. I noticed the room across the hall didn't even have the door handle on it. I asked where the gym was and got pointed in the direction where I found more or less a hallway that contained an elliptical and bike machine- neither of which worked. It was dark otherwise I would have walked around the area.
My room had dust along the top of the shower- hair behind the faucet in the sink- and toilet didn't look thoroughly cleaned either. The bed wasn't too bad but the pillows were quite lumpy. The next morning I went down for breakfast and was disappointed with the poor selection and amounts they had out. There was no fruit and the waffle machine looked as if its never been cleaned to get the old grease off of it.
One good thing to say was the rooms had DirecTV.
Next time I will definitely be spending the little bit extra money to stay somewhere else as I felt the price for this room was extremely high.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Maylon M
Reviewed June 9, 2014

First of all I had to pay $100.79 to stay in this crap hole. They did not have the air on in the hallways or breakfast area so it was super muggy. Our curtains had holes in them. The windows did not have screens, so forget about fresh air. The pillow cases were horribly worn. I am a woman that had 2 children with me and the deadbolt would not work on the door. It did not make me feel safe at all. The back door was not secure at night. It had tape over the lock so it was accessible to everyone all the time without a keycard.

Now, for my big complaint. My kids wanted to go to the pool and low and behold it was closed. We were not told this when we checked in. I said something to the clerk and she said that they had an agreement with the hotel across the road so we could go over there. I told her that was not okay with me. I am not crossing a four lane busy road with my children. She said her manager was in a meeting and she would have him get ahold of me when he got back. I never heard from him. In the morning when we checked out, the same manager was on duty so I spoke to him about my concern thinking that at the least he would refund some portion of my money. He pointed to a piece of paper hanging from the back of the computer monitor amongst others and said I should have read it. I said "NO, I should have been told when I checked in that the pool was out of order! I never would have stayed here!" The jist of the conversation was too bad for me and my kids. MAKE SURE YOU READ EVERY PIECE OF PAPER BEFORE BOOKING A ROOM!!!! What a crock!

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

This motel does NOT allow pets even though is might come up as doing so.

We searched for pet friendly on Trip Advisor and called through the central reservation office and told them we had pets. When we showed up at 9pm and were told they would not allow our dogs, needless to say, we were not pleased. We had to drive 50 miles more to find another place that took pets and had non smoking rooms.

From here on out we book through the direct line to the facility.

Stayed: June 2014