“Almost perfect except for front desk check-out lady”

Holiday Inn Express Ankeny
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Ankeny
Colorado Springs, CO
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,028 helpful votes
“Almost perfect except for front desk check-out lady”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We liked this Holiday Inn Express. It was extremely clean & everything about it was wonderful except.....the heating unit in our room was broken. It came on for 30 seconds and shut off for 2 minutes ALL night long which resulted in little sleep. When I informed the front desk, the lady made no compensation for it other than saying "It shouldn't have done that. The unit needs to be reset which you can do from the room" - that would be nice IF I knew how to reset a hotel heating/AC unit. The front desk lady had no visible name tag but had long blond/brown hair pulled up in a bun & was wearing glasses. Because of her lack of kindness, we almost didn't stay here on our return trip but we did. The check in guy was very nice, we requested a different room number and that room was perfect with a working heating unit. However, in the morning I needed a complimentary toothbrush & toothpaste, I went to the front desk but no one was there. I shouted Hello and the same check-out lady from the week before came out from a side room. I asked her nicely for a toothbrush and toothpaste which she acted annoyed to have to get from under the counter. Even at check out she wasn't friendly. Once again - no name tag. This is an ideal hotel - if only the check out lady could be trained to be nice. The location of the hotel is tricky to get to but once you figure it out, it's fine. The pool was a bit cold but the hot tub was very nice. We would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Nebraska
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I had no problem with the facility other that when I checked out they billed me twice and now they will not give me back my $300.00 that they overbilled me for. I am getting the runaround by their manager who probably pocketed my money. I Plan on suing them since I have proof of them taking funds out of both accounts. I held the room with my debit card and paid with a credit card. So what did they do they took money out of both accounts and now refuse to settle up. I have contacted my lawyer who says that this is a no loss case that I will win hands down. It is bull that I have to now travel for 4-1/2 hours to get my cash back. If you stay there you may get cheated like I did. BEWARE!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Spent 3 nights at this Holiday Inn Express and as the other reviewers have said there are mostly positives.

The location is convenient to the freeway and despite having a room facing the road there was no issue with traffic noise.
The rooms were spacious and well equipped (complete with fridge)
The front desk staff were welcoming
Pool area looked well maintained
There are several restaurants within walking distance which was good.

In fact the only thing that prevented me from awarding 5 stars was the breakfast situation -

when things ran out they weren't replenished
the juice machine did not work and the pitcher of orange ran low most days
it was our last day before we caught a fleeting glimpse of a very unhappy looking lady who seemed to be in charge of the breakfast area. it was the first time in 3 days we had seen anyone and she couldn't manage either a smile or a greeting. We honestly thought there was no one there the rest of the time.

Wouldn't stop me from returning - just seemed a little odd.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
Reviewed June 8, 2010

The room was spacious and we were able to open the window for fresh air at night.
The beds were comfy and the bathroom was clean.
The staff were great and very friendly and the only thing I had a problem with was the breakfast in the morning. I don't know if they had more people than they expected but they kept running out of food and so we had to wait for them to make more. My husband got the last of the eggs and yummy cinnamon rolls, so I had to wait a while for them to be replenished. The juice machine wasn't working but they did bring out a pitcher of orange juice. There were a lot of people eating breakfast and they could have used a few more tables. Oh, and they did have great coffee and plenty of it all morning long!!
All in all it was a good nights rest and I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lees Summit Missouri
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We needed a place to stay while passing through the state, and Des Moines was the mid-way point, but we don't like a lot of noise like you sometimes find. This hotel is on a cul-de-sac which means VERY light traffic around the place. We have a big luggage shell on the top of our car and we rested assured that no one would be around to bother it while we slept. Right across the street (walked) are three restaurants, including the Outback Steakhouse national chain for those who like to stay familiar. The room itself was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The free breakfast items included all types of items that my teens enjoyed (meats, eggs, several danishes and bread items, cereals, etc). This hotel is way off the highway so no traffic noise, and it is set back beside a quiet well-guarded industrial park (Tones Seasonings Company). The pool was very small though (kids didn't like), and they were having some minor issues with their elevator, but the exercise room was well-equipped. The staff was always friendly and it was a fast check-in. Absolutely NO odors! Not fancy but clean!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
minnesota
Reviewed December 21, 2008

My husband and I had a 3 night stay in a 1 BR King Suite in December. We were in town for a few days to visit my folks. Rather than stay with them, we decided that we wanted our own place to stay, so we didn't have to displace my parents from their beds and their daily routines. What a wonderful respite from our busy days with family. At night we knew we could look forward to heading back to the sanctuary of our very comfortable, clean room. We also loved the convenience of the nice restaurants & bars across the street for a quick bite and a nite-cap before retiring. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and the complimentary newspaper and breakfast in the morning were a nice treat. We will definitely stay here again when we're back in town for family business.

• Liked — Convenience to Des Moines, cleanliness, comfort
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My wife and I spent four nights here while sightseeing in the greater Des Moines area and everything was excellent. The hotel is just three years old and has been maintained like new. It is just off I-35, but set back from the main roads, making it very quiet.

The lobby is large, with two sitting areas plus a business center area with two computers and a printer. Our room with a king-size bed was large, and very nicely decorated & color-coordinated. Our bed had a thick pillow-top mattress, with lots of pillows, both soft and firm, and was very comfortable. Our room included a microwave and small refrigerator. All walls were wallpapered, adding to the attractiveness of the room. Our bath area had a marble countertop with lots of room for personal toiletries. It also was fully wallpapered. Internet was both wireless and wired in our room and both worked perfectly.

All of the staff were very pleasant throughout our stay and very helpful with local directions and restaurant suggestions. There are many restaurants in the area. Chips, Waterfront Seafood Market and Outback are within easy walking distance, almost directly across the street.

The breakfast area, just off the lobby, is large and and included a large-screen TV and sitting area. Breakfasts were very good throughout our stay and included several hot items plus the standard warm Holiday Inn Express cinnamon buns. A full-time attendant tried to keep everything replenished and clean, but with a full hotel including many families with children, was overwhelmed at times.

The hotel also has an indoor pool and hot tub, and an exercise room with several machines.

The rates were a little higher than we would have liked, but not out of line considering the quality of the hotel, and that we were there the week of the Iowa State Fair and the final weeks of summer vacations. We very definitely would stay here again and very definitely would recommend it to others.

• Liked — Everything met our hopes and expectations
  • Disliked — Nothing. Everything was fine.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)