“Comfortable stay, friendly service”

Holiday Inn Express Ankeny
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Ankeny
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Comfortable stay, friendly service”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Older,smaller (quiet) property. Very clean with friendly, helpful staff. Convenient location with good restaurants within walking distance.The only negative is that they could use better pillows. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2013

A decent hotel in suburban Des Moines, right off Interstate 35. Room/bathroom were clean. Breakfast area is large with standard hotel breakfast food. Rate was a bit high compared to similar hotels in other much larger cities. Several restaurants are right across the parking lot. Staff was not overly friendly, but not overly rude either. Overall, would stay again, but first choice would be another hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ankeny, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear DLExplorer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Estherville, Iowa
Reviewed August 22, 2013

On Friday, August 16 at about 9:30 PM we checked into our motel room (Holiday Inn Express) and noticed that there were spots on the carpet in our room. But not being a complainer decided not to make a big deal about it. The next day after we checked out I get a call saying that they are going to charge me for the spots on the carpet. No one should get charged $250 for something they did not do.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank judy l
Jennifer W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ankeny, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and comments. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please call me directly at 515-965-2400. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a great hotel to use if you are planning to attend an event at the Wells Fargo Center in
Des Moines. We like the hotel so much we are planning to stay again this month. We found this HI Express to be very well run and we found the staff to be extremely accomodating and helpful. We expecially are very thankful for Jennifer Weber who gave us great information on parking at the events center. This was our first visit to the Center, and we were able, with jennifer's directions to exit off 235 onto third street and then make an immediate right into the surface parking lot. Please note we arrived about one and fifteen minutes early, but the very reasonable parking fee of $7.00 was worth it. This lot leaves you only about a half a block from the front enterance. To make things even better, after the event, we exited the lot the way we entered, made two left turns, and then were able to make right back onto 235. The drive from the hotel to the Center is about ten minutes. How much more convenience could you want.
We found the hotel to be very comfortable. Our rooom was clean, the HVAC system allowed individual temperature controls without the interference of a govenor, and the bed was great. Please do use this hotel if you are planning to attend an event in the Wells Fargo Center in Des Moines. You will not be sorry.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ankeny, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! I'm thrilled you were able to get in and out of the Event Center with ease. It can be a bit confusing, if never traveled it before. We strive to know our greater Des Moines area, in hopes to help people find their way through town. I'm happy we were able to help and made it easy for you!
We are definitely looking forward to your next trip through our area!
See you soon!
Burlington, New Jersey
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Great spot close to many business locations in north Des Moines. Many restaurants in the area. Hotel room was clean as expected. Hotel was full and front desk was unsure why-they had to send customers to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed June 2013
Jennifer W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ankeny, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I can't agree more! Our hotel is located in a great location with 3 restaurants right across the street, not to mention all the other options Ankeny has to offer. June was definitely a busy month, we had many events happening throughout the month, several of them overlapping. We definitely had a great time getting to meet everyone that stayed with us!
Thank you again for taking time to share your comments. We look forward to seeing you again!
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed June 3, 2013

It might not be a big deal to everyone but for someone who travels as much as I do good TV is great. This place had Direct TV in the rooms and not just like 8 channels of Direct TV but almost like being at home. I recommend Channel 340 to watch a highlighted replay of the Artie Lang Show at 6PM local time. Very Funny. But i digress. Almost all channels were in HD and the location had Showtime, which was nice for a change, as I don't have it at home so I was able to catch up on some of their original programing; although my co-workers were mad since they couldn't watch Game of Thrones on HBO, I don't watch it so it didn't bother me. Beyond that the hotel was clean and I had no staff issues some of the other reviews noted. Restaurants are walking distance and there is plenty in area food wise. Only major issue is an issue I have run into at a lot place and I'm sure I noted it in my previous reviews. They only have or had at the time i was there is "Light" Yogurt. It might not be a big deal to all but I'm allergic to Nutra-sweet or Aspartame. I get very sick if i have anything Diet or "Light". Their breakfast is a little "sparse" when compared to other HI Express I have been to. But beyond that the place was clean and comfortable and extra props to the pillows. HI Express over-all really shows truth in advertising. When they note Firm or Soft on the pillow cases they are not lying. Very nice and always helps to have nice bedding when you are away from home for extended periods of time. I would recommend this hotel based on the pillows and TV by themselves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Ankeny, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! Yes! We love the new DirecTv! It is so nice to have options when chosing what to watch while relaxing in your room. Then add on the great restaurants within walking distance from our hotel. Literally across the street. They do a great job keeping our guests happy and coming back for more!
Thank you for mentioning the yogurt. You bring up a very good point. I have already gotten in touch with our distributor to get a "regular" yogurt option brought in.

Thank you again!
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel, for the most part, is what you would expect from a suburban, Interstate hotel.

The low score is because the service was as bad as bad gets. The biggest complaint is that I had to wait over 10 minutes at the front desk this morning when trying to check-out. (Normally I'd just leave the keys there, but I needed a receipt.) Nobody was there. Not a single person. I couldn't wait so I asked the woman in the breakfast area if anybody was working this morning. She went back there. Nobody to be found. Somebody finally came a few minutes later.

My bill is still unresolved. I was speaking this weekend and my room was supposed to be paid for. It wasn't. So I just put it on my card. No big deal. I told the person paying just so we didn't both get billed. He called and took care of it. At check out this morning they had no record of talking to him. I put the room on my card again. I told the other party again because I didn't want us both to pay. They told him it would be put on his card and credit my account. They also told me they would call me by the end of the day to let me know everything is resolved. It's almost midnight. No call yet and the charge is still on my card. It shouldn't be this complicated.

They cleaned our room yesterday, we stayed two days. They did a decent job, but we did not have any sheets on our beds. Called down and had sheets delivered. My wife helped the guy make the bed. He was a nice guy who was apologetic and helpful.

Neither of our room keys worked last night when we arrived back at the hotel. The guy at the front desk had no idea why. He reset them and then they worked.

The room was nice enough. Bed and television were good. So was the shower. The breakfast was pretty good with plenty of room in the dining area. The pool and whirlpool was nice - the pool area is small and the ceiling low - so a heavy choline smell is present. Good location - you can walk to a number of restaurants and it's very close to the Interstate.

Never again though. The comedy of errors was too much, waiting at the unattended front desk for over ten minutes, and the other simple mistakes demonstrates this hotel doesn't care about their customers. I have written dozens of reviews and rarely write bad reviews, but have no other choice on this one.

Room Tip: I'd stay away from rooms on the first floor. The pool area and gathering area can be fairly loud...