“grandpa's house”
Review of Ramada Ankeny

Ramada Ankeny
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Ankeny
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have stayed at the metro north Ankeny,IA since my granddaughter was born 6 years ago she calls it grandpa's house when I come. I am always welcomed cheerfully and everybody remembers me. the pool is great. the Ankeny Café is great food which ever meal you are eating. I really do like coming to the Metro North and staying since I am disabled and in a wheelchair, it takes the bother of my son's family having to get me in or out their home so it makes it very convenient to stay here and very accessible. Thank You Very Much- Metro North, Ankeny, IA Timothy P Lundahl

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Public areas lacking in air conditioning. Staff excellent. 50s decor bar and restaurant appealing. Location easy in and out. Pool area large and open. Breakfast plan beats normal self-serve breakfast bars.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed July 12, 2013

First time in this hotel and I found a room dirty. In the nigth I put in the door the "do not disturb sign" and the early morning someone was making noise with a hammer in the front door to my room. Great location but no to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joaco I
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the BW Metro North last year during this same time frame as this year over the 4th of July weekend (Good Guys car show at the state fair) and we enjoyed for the most part our stay last year. This year was a different story. The room carpet was the filthiest I have ever seen in a room. The air conditioning unit was LOUD and constantly turning off and on even if I tried to adjust it. You do need to use the air as the noise is obvious from the hall.

The other Problem was towels. We did not have any bath mats in our king size room so had to use a towel for the floor. When I went to the front desk to get more, she asked that I bring the dirty ones back as our room was only allowed two towels. Not good. I had to stand in line twice just to get enough towels for us.

There are many other hotels in Des Moines and Ankeny. I hate to say this but I would consider this one similar to the Motel 6 brand. Good for one night and that is it.

We stayed two nights. ON a positive note, we did enjoy the pool. Towels there were a joke also for us. Sunday at noon - the towel shelf in the pool was empty. When I went to the front desk, she would call someone. That someone brought towels about 10 minutes later and walked around the entire pool area putting towels on all the chairs. She did not even consider handing any to me, the one that requested it. Customer service could be improved as she ignored my family. We were the only people there at that time of the day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at Best Western Metro north for seven nights during a conference. The mattresses were the worse mattresses we have ever had in any kind of hotel. My wife and I both rolled into the center of the bed. The next night we tried the other bed with same results. Sinking into the middle, awakening with sore backs, etc. The next two nights we slept in separate beds, and still sank into the terrible mattresses. We finally asked the front desk for a new room and were told the rooms were all filled, and she thought the mattresses had all been replaced one year ago. If so, they got robbed for they were terrible. She told me to check the wooden slat supports under the box springs to see if they had wiggled off. They had not.
The hallways also remained dirty. We walked the hallways every day for exercise. One room put their room service dishes outside their room and the dishes remained there for several days. One hall had sheet rock crumbs up and down the hall way. Another had old food wrappers, cigarette butts, etc in the hall. They were there for many days.
The east side of the building had cigarette butts all around the door ways where people stood and deposited them on the ground. They were never swept up.
After complaining to management and filling out a survey, corporate offered me a $25 gift card toward staying at another BW! No way. I would have gladly payed more to get a room with a decent bed. Beware.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here three nights to ride the bike trails and go to a race in Newton. I was concerned about booking this place because of some earlier reviews, but everyone in my group was pleasantly surprised at how nice a place it is. Each room has a big flat screen TV, the carpet is new, the walls freshly painted, and the bathrooms are clean and in good working order. We stayed in the wing next to the interstate so the hallways didn't smell so much of chlorine as the poolside rooms. I really enjoyed having a nice relaxing sit-down breakfast at the Ankeny Diner as opposed to crowded around a toaster in the morning and trying to find a place to sit in a too-small breakfast area. The pool area was hot, but once you're in the water, it wasn't as noticeable. And the room airconditioners are louder than a normal room, but it's a constant fan noise so it wasn't unpleasant and it drowned out any adjacent room noise. My friend thought the bed was too soft. It's a pillow top and it's probably seen better days. My sister and I are planning another trip to Des Moines in September to ride more trails, and we'll definately be staying here again.

Room Tip: The wing next to the interstate is probably the best area in this hotel. We were in rooms 145 and 14...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I'm not to picky when it comes to hotels but there are certain expectations even I have. The 1st please have cleaning crew at least pretend to clean the rooms. We found 4 items left by other guests between the 2 rooms we booked. Including a sock, a rodeo ticket dated 4 months prior to our stay, a tissue, museum brochure, and a toothbrush. The hotel smelled like chlorine, the hallway walls were in obvious disrepair, and the exterior door was broken. Other than those items I slept like a baby. As the price of the hotel was within 10 or 20 dollars a night of other hotels in the area, i'd pick somewhere else if I were to do it again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family