“The most popular Chinese buffet in town”
Review of China Buffet

China Buffet
Ranked #104 of 142 Restaurants in Ankeny
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Ankeny, Iowa
“The most popular Chinese buffet in town”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My friend and I have frequented this Chinese restaurant for years not only for its convenient location but also for its food. Whether we like veggie dishes or seafood, sushi bar or salad bar, we would always find what you like on the buffet. One thing that I don't quite like is its greasy chicken wings. I do like fried wings, but theirs are too oily.

Fairly reasonable price for lunch, since $8.75 would be good enough for everything included (food, tax, and tips). The servers are good. Though they don't speak much English or chat with diners, they are nice, friendly, and do their jobs well. More importantly for drivers on I-35 N who might want to have Chinese food for lunch in Ankeny, this place is easy to find and close to the highway exit.

• Visited March 2014

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
“Really good and solid buffer”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Go at dinner time or on Sunday
The lunch buffet lacks the pizazz
Dinner has more selections and is really good quality
We have visited several times
Not expensive either - definitely not for what you get
If you like chinese food give it a try

Visited October 2013
IOWA
“Used to be a good buffet ~ not any more”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When ever we visited Ankeny, we used to make China Buffet our lunch stop. However, this will now change. Our last visit was expensive in comparison to the meal we got. If it hadn't been for some of the offerings in the salad bar and soup we would have left almost as hungry as we arrived. The entrees were limited ~ you better like chicken and vegetables ~ and not kept fresh or warm. Service was lacking ~ and that is a generous description. It's uncomfortable to write a poor review but diners deserve to know what they can expect and the bottom line to this expectation is NOT MUCH. Sorry China Buffet. We will be dining else where until you get your act back together.

• Visited August 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Greasy Food - terrible service”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We have tried this place 5 times..it was worse each time. Food is greasy and not kept very hot. The service just plane sucks. They are not friendly, and they act like you are bother them.

Most of the time there is food on the floors and a mess around the buffett.

It is very rude to carry on a conversation with another co worker, while you are at a table with a customer and talk in another language...

We will not go back

• Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Do not waste your time.”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I do not like to ever give a bad review if I can help it but the food buffet here was the worse I have seen anywhere in my travels. Very unfriendly people and the place was extremely dirty. I almost did not stay but was very hungry. I should have gone to the Panera Bread a block away.

Visited January 2013

Been to China Buffet? Share your experiences!