“Good BBQq in Central Iowa”

Jethro's BBQ LakeHouse
Ranked #4 of 142 Restaurants in Ankeny
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Ames, Iowa
“Good BBQq in Central Iowa”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We visited Jethro's on a Saturday and although it was packed, we got fast, friendly service. The food was served quickly and was very good. The fish was excellent and presentable. Overall a good dining experience. I want to go back to try their BBQ.

• Visited March 2013

Newton
“Jethro's in Ankeny”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Accommodations were tight. They need to spread the table out a bit more. The worst part was they played the music so load, people had to talk loud to have a conversation. I actually could not hear the person sitting across the table from me. Food was good, but noise level ruined what should have been an enjoyable time. They have a 2-person meal on their menu and it easily feeds two people; we had the 1/2 slab, pulled pork and smoked sausage with 4 sides.
Newer location is an area under development. Not much to look at now, but will be once the development is finished.
I prefer the Altoona and Drake location to this one.

• Visited March 2013
Ankeny
“Not So Good”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We've ordered carry-out twice and have not been pleased. Neither of us are terribly picky, but we do require edible food. Our first experience involved the pork tenderloin sandwich (huge, but bland) and the Spike. Both sandwich buns were burned. Not just too brown...they were burned. Having extra buns at home saved the meal for us, but we were off to a rough start. My friend liked the Spike, but would have liked more bleu cheese. He could barely taste it. Our sides were mac & cheese and baked beans. If it hadn't been for the baked beans, our entire experience would have been a failure. And the baked beans were not great by any means. The mac & cheese? Please! Mac & cheese in a box has more flavor. Our second try was worse. I really like a good tenderloin and tried it again. Mistake. Still bland and the bun was soggy on the outside (makes no sense at all). It came with a slice of less-than-ripe tomato, some kind of strange lettuce, a glop of very wet dill pickles and two small rings of raw onion on the side. Two small rings of onion for a tenderloin the size of a dinner plate! Not enough for me. My friend's BBQ dinner of smoked brisket and sausage didn't remotely compare to what he had learned to love when he was in Texas. I had red beans and rice as a side. I lived in New Orleans and know good red beans and rice. These were not. Popeye's has better. We won't be going back to Jethro's for the dining-in experience.

• Visited February 2013
“Good place to eat”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Goo place to eat. The only small negative thing about this place is the fact they have no booths to sit at. Just tables and high tops and I'm one who can't stand sitting on top of the other person while that are eating!

Des Moines, Iowa
“Great Food and Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I haven't tried the ribs so its hard to say its great BBQ. The sandwiches are very flavorful and huge. I have had the Texas Dip which is made up of brisket. Also had the melt with smoked turkey and pork. The waffle fries are very good. The inside does look like a inviting lakehouse. Great place just to go have a few drinks. My son says the tenderloin is huge and tasty.

• Visited January 2013

Been to Jethro's BBQ LakeHouse? Share your experiences!