“Good mexican food...good price”

Los Charros Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 150 Restaurants in Ankeny
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Craving Mexican food? El Charro Mexican Restaurant of Ankeny, IA is here for you. We are a family owned and operated business with full bar service. Our restaurant features homemade tortillas and a mesquite wood grill for the tastiest Tex-Mex cuisine. Our love for our food allows us to create dishes with the freshest ingredients and the finest traditional Mexican recipes. Our friendly and accommodating staff will be glad to serve you. Experience a great family restaurant.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very nice mexican place with great authentic mexican food. Salsa and chips are fantastic! Very large menu.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

There are five mexican resturants in Ankeny, and we think this one is the best. Their food is great tasting and not to spicy. We love their salsa. The portions are large, and prices are very reasonable. Not much more to say other than we will be back. I do agree with other reviews, that the servers get to jacking with each other, and makes the srevice lacking.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Great tasting Mexican food, Amazing value for money. Will come again when I am next in the area.My only complaint was the food was not spicy but there was chilli on the table if I wanted to liven it up!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Some years ago I worked in Monterrey, Mexico for a few weeks. A drink to which I was introduced was the BANDERA (that's FLAG in Spanish). It is three shot glasses of liquid; sangrita (not the sangria wine), white tequila, and lime juice. Each is in their own separate glass and represent the flag of Mexico. This is the only Mexican restaruant in town that knew with my first request what I was ordering.
The food is very good. I have tried various dished and have never been disappointed. Tingas are fried correctly with the entire tortilla fried throug and not uncooked on the inside.
The Chiles relleno are the largest I have found in the are and two of those are almost enough, with their excellent chips and salsa to make a meal for me.
I have, and do patronize another Mexican restaruant in town but feel that this is the best for their region of Mexico. The other is best for their regional cooking. Can't beat two good Mexican restaurants that re close by.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is, without a doubt, my favorite Mexican Restaurant in the greater Des Moines area. The Chicken Fajita Taco Salad is second to none. You need a knife to cut the chicken, to fully appreciate the Chicken Tortilla Soup -- delicious!