“Do the Loco Moco”

Iowa City, Iowa
“Do the Loco Moco”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Aloha!

We stopped by this place because it sounded intriguing and we have always been Hawaii fans. The decor is very unassuming. You just go up to the counter to order. Thankfully they have pictures of all the dishes adjacent to their names. We opted for the Moco Loco combo. It was rice, topped with a beef patty, gravy, and a fried egg over the whole thing. Delicious.

The prices are extremely reasonable too. Our total for 3 people was $21. You get a decent amount of food. They also play Hawaiian music, so if you close your eyes, you almost feel like you're on one of the islands. We will definitely go there again when we are in the area.

Very surprising Hawaiian restaurant in landlocked Iowa!

Mahalo!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank B P

IOWA
“Interesting blend of flavors”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I tried Alohana for a "something" different dinner. My husband ordered the Hawaiian BBQ Mix which had a pleasant teriyaki flavor to slices of beef, chicken, and beef ribs. The beef and chicken were enjoyable to eat but the beef rib (slices) were a little chewy. I ordered the Seafood combo and greatly enjoyed the fried shrimp and fish filet but again was let down by the beef rib. The meals were accompanied by macaroni salad which, although not as good as Mom's, was good. Two scoops of white rice accompanied the meals. Though a little disappointed with the beef ribs, we will go back to try the Chicken Katsu, Kalua Pork, and Hawaiian BBQ Beef. I'd love to have more of the fried shrimp, too.

• Visited July 2014
Waconia, Minnesota
“Reminds me of Hawaii”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

The food here definitely reminds me of eating while on trips to Hawaii and has authentic Hawaiian food down to the Spam musubi. My favorite dish is the loco moco although everything I've tried has been good.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Ranger1680
shakopee, Minnesota, USA
“Incredible find!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I had the Hawaiian BBQ mix consisting of teriyaki beef short ribs, teriyaki chicken and teriyaki beef. I cannot say enough about how it was prepared and tasted. For less than $10 I enjoyed a generous portion that was full of flavor that made my mouth water with each bite. It made me feel like I was eating at a cafe in Oahu. Additionally, the gal who waited on me, "Nay" was the owner who started the restaurant. She was incredibly helpful explaining what the dishes were and just plain enjoyable to speak with. I am so happy I found this place, I just wish it were near where I live. I will stop there every single chance I get when I pass through Ankeny/Des Moines however. Don't pass up this little gem!

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank vhgolf
Urbandale
“Very good”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Wanted to try something different. Had the tilapia, shrimp and rib combo. It was really good. The breading on the shrimp was delicious. The flavor of the ribs was very good. It came with white rice and macaroni salad. The shrimp was so good that I went back the next weekend and had a shrimp plate, which came with white rice and macaroni. This is a fast-food place- order at the counter and they call out your order when it's ready. The prices are unbelievable! A combo and a drink is well under $10. I have found a new favorite place!

• Visited January 2014