“Great Food & Value”

Montana Mikes
Ranked #13 of 148 Restaurants in Ankeny
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have now been to MM for lunch and for dinner. The service was great, very friendly. The food was right on spot. Steaks were done exactly as ordered. I liked the fruitiness of the sangria. The dinner rolls are large and delicious.

3  Thank Tamara H

Reviewed April 4, 2013

not a place I'd go out of my way to visit again. We chose it based on proximity to our Motel 6.

My wife liked her grilled shrimp skewers with a baked sweet potato; my son liked his 1/2 pound hickory burger and the enormous pile of fried that came with it; and I enjoyed my fried shrimp, and cottage cheese. The honeymoon salads (lettuce alone) were forgettable but they have a good variety of side dishes to choose from. The hand-made onion ring appetzier was huge, but not particuarly tasty. (The breading was flat and needed seasoning.) They offer a two-entree/appetizer combo for a reasonable price (about a 10% savings on our order) but the waitress rang our orders up separately. If my wife hadn't checked the bill, we would have paid full price.

Others have written about the ambience, but as a former Montana resident, I didn't feel it had anything to do with that state either in decor or in its food offerings. The canoing stuffed squirrels you pass as you enter the restaurant are . . . simply bizarre.

We spent about $15 a head, before tip.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I seek out non-national chain restaurants looking for local ambience and this place has loads of it. A sure sign of local support was the number of pick-ups parked in the lot and during our visit, the staff seemed to know most clients by their first name. It had a nice feeling.
On entering we noticed benches in the foyer for those waiting for take-out, again indicating a strong local support.
Our welcome was instant and friendly. Jenny, our server, pleasant, efficient, and hard working. The food was good, fast, hot, and abundant, possibly over-abundant. It was also quite inexpensive. We would find it hard to complain about anything.
This trip was from Toronto to Los Angeles and Montana Mike's small family-style restaurant was a delightfully pleasant surprise on a long, cold, and snowy drive. Our hotel front desk staff, grinning, recomended Montana Mike's as they chowed down on take-out from the same place, so we did. This review shows what we thought..
The restaurant from outside is quite underwhelming but does exactly what our hotel staff claimed. They served good food efficiently in a nice place. What more could one want?
On a road trip only two things matter. Where you sleep and where you eat. For the eat part, I would suggest Montana Mike's if you're heading near Des Moines, Iowa.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We love Montana Mikes. We went there probably every 5-6 weeks and a lot of times have taken our family. The steaks are perfect and perfectly cooked. Service is attentive without being obtrusive. They had a fire but have since opened back up. Go try this place it's better than Texas Roadhouse and cost less.

5  Thank sunlvr49
Reviewed February 2, 2013

(Before writing this review, I read my prior review)

Turns out I had the exact same food as I did last time, but all I could remember when I walked in was that it was gooood. Same as last, this time I had the French Onion soup and Bacon Swiss burger (no fries)

As I'm walking up to the place, their sign is flashing 'Now Open,' so I had to ask ... it was 'just open' last time I was here two years ago. Turns out they had had a fire and had just re-opened on Monday, I was there on Tuesday.

First thing I was asked was if I wanted a 22 oz steak, "No" I said, "I don't even want a half pound burger, but that is all you have."

And that is what the "Noooooooo" is about, I hate wasting food, but the smallest burger they have is a 1/2 pound. I think next time I will ask that they cut it in half and put half in a 'to-go' box before bringing it to the table ... and then tell them to keep the 'to-go' box. (I'm a driver and have no way to keep leftovers.)

Being the 2nd night open (and a pending snow storm), the place was quiet. Service was quick, too back the closest one is 200 miles from my house.

1  Thank Jim-OnTheWayHome

Been to Montana Mikes? Share your experiences!