“Fresh Affordable Seafood in a Relaxed Casual Atmosphere”

Waterfront Seafood Market
Ranked #1 of 144 Restaurants in Ankeny
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Some of the freshest seafood you'll find in the Des Moines area (flown in daily). Not cheap but affordable, with a relaxed casual atmosphere compared to some high-end seafood establishments around DSM. Besides fish and seafood main entrees, they have a large variety of seafood baskets. I like the fried rock lobster basket with cole slaw & sweet potato fries. Their salad ingredients are fresh and the sourdough bread (served warm) is tasty. Waterfront has a full bar with several beers on tap and an extensive wine list. Also in the bar area is a sushi counter you can sit at and watch the chefs prepare your selection. If you're not into raw sushi; try the Waterfront roll - tempura cooked shrimp, cucumber & avocado slices. They also have award winning soups; New England clam chower & seafood gumbo. If Sam Miller crab soup is the specialty soup of the day, give it a try. They sell fresh fish in lobby. There is a large outdoor dining patio along Waterfront's south side facing a small lake/pond. Note - we seem to have more Canada geese in Iowa now than Canada does, but a fence keeps them at bay, so they can be fun to watch.

There are newer reviews for Waterfront Seafood Market

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've been there at least three times, once for a business dinner. Service was so/so. I finally told the waiter not to bother with my glass of wine, I was through with dinner. They are slow and that's why they can't get people seated. I'll go elsewhere.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had dinner this weekend and it was good. We had the specials of the day and they were ok. The sea bass was ok, but nothing great. The Monk fish was so, so. The fish was soft in spots, but good over all. The sauce over it was not very good, it didn't have much flavor. Not the best meal ever, but would go back and have something else.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I had the Rock Shrimp; my husband had the grilled sea bass; my son-in-law had the lobster Alfredo. We all enjoyed our food. The prices were fair, and the service was good. It was fun to watch the live lobsters in the "pool" while we waiting briefly for our table.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Start with service. It was a Tuesday night in early December prior to Christmas. Highly recommended, but, too many Christmas parties. The staff seemed more intent in getting us out of the restaurant than really to serve us - service is a major plus for me - this was down at the bottom. Management, pay attention. You can have the best food in the world - but if you don't train your staff to treat every customer as the "only" one and give them 100%, the food makes no difference.

We had some dynamite sushi starters. The Minnesota Walley was great. The scallops were few and not up to snuff. Again, the service was rushed, looking at the clock to get out. Not pleasant when you're paying top dollar for seafood in the Midwest.

Leave it at that. Good food, but if you hit it the wrong time, the service rushes you and you really don't enjoy the meal. We did not and considered it, frankly, over-prices and way under value. Sorry, but, we felt, from the service, that they couldn't wait to get us out. Not nice.