AmericInn Lodge & Suites
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Ankeny
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Based on the other reviews and the $100+ price tag for one night, mid-week, pre-tax, I was expecting this property to really be outstanding. Instead, my mother was greeted by a very awkward acting desk clerk and could not get the room comfortably cool. When my husband and I arrived to join her, the parking lot was an absolute mess of vehicles, many taking up more than one spot/poorly parked, plus several semis. It appears the lot is not managed whatsoever and is a tad undersized for the place. When we entered, no one was at the desk (this didn't surprise me too much given it was 11:15pm, but still...) and we had to wait a few minutes before the clerk arrived. She re-keyed the room to add us on, which I found strange (as I have been a desk clerk before and know how this usually works), and did not tell us how to get to our room (not that it's complicated), but was friendly anyhow. Upon entering the room, I noticed how it was not very cool and my mother expressed her frustration with the air conditioner. There are NO instructions on it about how to adjust the temp--I messed around with it until I figured it out (put it so the fan is ON instead of AUTO).
The toilet and faucet were far noisier than most places I have ever stayed, yet the property itself was quiet overall. The wi-fi worked perfectly, and the pillows were actually some of the thickest ever found anywhere (which my husband loved!)
Then I made the odd discovery of the damp carpet spots as I walked through the room barefoot (and no one had taken a shower or spilled water). I am guessing (and hoping) this might have been from them having used a carpet shampooer in there? It wasn't a huge deal, just a bit off-putting.
We tried to set the alarm clock--don't bother, these are apparently from the dollar store and don't really work as such (not broken, just cheap and not-user friendly). The beds are made in a very strange fashion--the sheet is on top of the comforter (?), which I didn't discover until after turning out the light. The bed itself is comfortable, the sheets are just average, nothing special. I did appreciate that there were outlets on the bedside lamps to plug in phone chargers.
Shower was fine in the morning, plenty of hot water and also very happy to have not been disturbed by housekeeping whatsoever even though we forgot to put out the DND sign.
Breakfast was not a great experience, especially for my mother. She had the misfortune of getting the milk carton that had apparently gone bad (milk was curdled and sour). My husband said the sausage was good, and we all enjoyed the waffles. The mini-donuts I had were a little stale and my milk had a bit of weird residue as the end (am thinking it was about to go bad perhaps). When we looked in the cooler, we saw that about half the cartons in there were past date, though the ones we had selected (by chance) were not. We informed the front desk of this and they apologized.
I would not stay in this hotel again based on its price alone, much less the experience.

Room Tip: This property does not have an elevator, so make sure you request a ground floor room if you cannot...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Ankeny, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We welcome guest feedback as it is a good way for us to measure the quality of our service and look for ways to improve. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and will work to correct any deficiencies.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Walked in and thought it was the dirtiest carpet I had ever seen but it was just lots and lots of stains. But clean stains! It completely passed my white sock test and I couldn’t believe it but it did! The rest of the room was clean and quiet. The breakfast area was nice and clean and well stocked. People at the desk were very friendly. The only thing we didn’t like was there were a bunch of guys sitting in the parking lot in lawn chairs drinking and, not knowing who they were, weren’t overly comfortable parking there but we had to. They didn’t get loud as far as we knew, but that seemed sort of tacky. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Ankeny, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our carpet is only a year old, I am sorry if it appears stained. We also recently had it cleaned, September I believe. We look forward to a future visit from you.

Jule Wright

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were VERY pleased with our stay. The hotel was convenient to get to. The rooms were very clean and the staff very pleasant to deal with. They had a very nice continental breakfast which we thoroughly enjoyed. The price is very affordable but the surroundings would make you think you were staying in a more expensive hotel. We highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ankeny, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and hotel. It is wonderful that you shared your positive experience and I will pass on your kind words to our staff. We hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

It is never easy to travel with 5 but this hotel set us up in a very spacious suit. We were busy so were not able to tryout the breakfast or pool or other amenities. But the room was spotless and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to opt for the room for hearing impaired access.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Ankeny, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your comments, we value your opinion. I am glad we could accomodate your family and that your stay was a good one.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Travelling on the way to and on the way home, stayed in adjoining rooms. Hotel was quiet and clean. Breakfast was good, price was right. Beds and pillows were exceptionally comfortable. Best nights rest I've had in a hotel for quite a while.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I want you to know we value your opinions and comments. We hope you will stay with us again if you are in the area.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel was perfect for the needs of our group. Breakfast started early so that was a plus. HBO was an unexpected treat. all our rooms were spotless and the rate was wll below fed per diem. I am so glad our group stayed here!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you.

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

This is your pretty standard AmericInn offering. Nice location near several restaurants and shopping areas. Pool area is nice, though the fitness center is little more than a closet with a couple of machines. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Nice place to stay if you prefer to pass on the higher priced neighboring hotels asking 30-50% more without the free amenities.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Makemeabeliever

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate your feedback. We hope if you are in the area again you will stay. Thank you.