“Mixed feelings.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Ankeny
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Ankeny
Reviewed January 6, 2013

On a plus note the bed was comfortable. On the down side to simply this was not Hilton Hampton standards. After expecting a nice hotel I found this to be more like any other average quality motel. The breakfast was so bad on the first day we ate out on the 2nd day. The nearest car park spaces to the entrance were occupied by pickups with snowplows which blocked the sidewalk preventing any wheelchairs to pass.
The staff were mixed, either robot like or just not bothered, preferring to talk to their friends than to serve you.
When I am next in the area I will NOT choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Traveling from Salt Lake City to home over the holidays we stopped at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Ankeny, Ia. We stay at this hotel a few times a year and enjoy its cleanliness and comfortable beds. Breakfast is always a little above other Hampton Inns we have stayed at which is a nice bonus.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stopped at this hotel during our Christmas vacation as we were passing through Iowa. It was 2 days after a blizzard and the night before we arrived would've seen a full house at the hotel due to power outages. I never would've guessed had the front desk not told me. The hotel was very clean. It was also very quiet. There are no other hotels or restaurants nearby (closest ones are 1-2 miles away), so you'll need a car to go eat (or go any where), but we liked it.

Overall, it was typical Hampton Inn quality ... similar room, similar breakfast, with appropriate amenities. For passing through with the fam (and redemeeming some Hilton Honors points from business travel), it was absolutely ideal.

One caveat. Your GPS may take you to Exit 90. That's wrong. You need to leave I-35 at Exit 89 and veer East.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend. Breakfast on Sat. a.m. was terrible. Eggs were in little crumbles and sausage had a grey color which looked disgusting. The pastries and muffins must have sat out for several days because they were very stale. Sun. breakfast was much better. Everyone was very helpful and friendly except for manager on duty or whoever he was on Sat. and Sun. morning. Far from friendly We will probably stay there again but not because of the manager.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pat H
Terry L, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ankeny, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the quality of your breakfast you experienced during your stay. We are working to improve our offerings and welcome your comments. We hope you will come back and stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was yet another good Hampton Inn. Check-in was very quick. There was a confused elderly couple in front of me and the manager was trying to communicate the best he could to them and managed to get me checked in quickly. The pool was good, beds were comfortable and breakfast was good. We will stay again. This Hampton is what I have come to expect from all Hampton Inns.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Another great Hampton Inn. Service top notch, comfy beds & clean! Great discounted rate. You will not be disappointed. The great thing about these hotels is that they all hold to the same standards of quality!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have stayed at this Hampton Inn before and never had a bad experience. I was in town after celebrating my parents' 65th wedding anniversary and attending an event at the Civic Center. It was so nice to return to a nice, clean room and comfy bed to get some much needed sleep.

If my neighbors made any noise, I never heard any. I will be back on my next trip to Des Moines. It's my favorite Des Moines area hotel.

Room Tip: I requested a room away from elevator on higher floor and that is what I got.