“Great service”

The General Store Pub
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Anamosa
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The Stone City General Store Pub is located right along the banks of the Wapsipinicon River. With 2 levels of indoor and outdoor seating, there is something for everyone. Stop by for one of our award winning burgers or a refreshing Wapsirita.
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Our waitress was very friendly and efficient. My husband had the chicken sandwich and said it was very good. My burger was good, but it wasn't awesome (it was a bit dry). The fixin's were on the side, but since the lettuce was shredded, it made it a bit difficult to put it on the burger with my fork. The waffle fries were nicely seasoned and still warm when they got to the table. The atmosphere is nice. There are two outdoor decks overlooking the river; since they were rather full, we sat indoors, which was fine. They appeared to be setting up for some live music for later in the afternoon. With the generous refills of pop, we didn't have room for dessert. I would have liked to have had the s'mores. They bring a little fire pit to your table so you can make your own. fun!

Reviewed March 2, 2014

You will find a unique restaurant and pub in historic Stone City, Iowa (near Anamosa), an unincorporated community named for its limestone quarries and once the location of an art colony. The General Store Pub is located in an 1897 stone building, a former general store that was once featured in a Grant Wood painting.
My wife and I visited The General Store Pub and had a delightful lunch there.
Our table was on the first floor, but we also checked out the lower level, which has a bar, additional seating and large-screen TVs that were tuned to sporting events.
Both levels are decorated with antiques, feature stone fireplaces and offer shaded decks facing the Wapsipinicon River.
We started our meals with an appetizer called Fungus Amungus. Button mushrooms in seasoned breading are deep-fried and come with a side of ranch dressing.
For the main course, I received a generous serving of slow-cooked ribs that come with cole slaw and waffle fries. My wife ordered a Payloader Burger topped with sauteed onions, mushrooms, bacon and both colby jack and Swiss cheese and served with waffle fries.
We then treated ourselves to Fried Brownie Bits for dessert.
The food and service at The General Store Pub were both very good, and the servings generous. If you go, you might want to order a to-go box right up front.

1  Thank AngusVicker
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Met a group of friends at the J&P Open House and then headed here for a late lunch. Great food, great atmosphere and great scenery. They serve the food in tackle boxes and bait pils. Fun place to stop when you're out riding on your motorcycle. They had local blue grass musicians playing on a small stage which added to the total experience.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Great scenic location on Wapsi river with 2 outdoor decks! Historic limestone building featured in Grant Wood painting Stone City. Excellent food, drinks, & service! Split a big tasty tenderloin called the Jackhammer w/homemade seasoned kettle chips&wapsi nachos(loaded waffle fries) for appetizer....yum! Good Carolina pork bbq, burger, & drinks too!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We ate here on a Sunday afternoon with my parents. Parking is very limited and a lot of people park along the road. There are 2 decks, however both were full so we ate in the main upstairs dining room. For an appetizer we shared the tackle box. Which is cheese curds, fried mushrooms, onion rings, and waffle fries served in a tackle box. I thought that was fun and something different. My mom had the fish and chips, my dad had a hamburger, my husband went with the tenderloin and I had the gyro. All of the food came out nice and hot and tasted great. It was good bar food. The service could have been better as our drinks went without being refilled. They did a great job restoring the place..the building itself was amazing. I would eat here again.

1  Thank SillyG2003