“Worst service I've ever had!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Super 8 Anamosa IA

Super 8 Anamosa IA
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Anamosa
“Worst service I've ever had!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I work road construction and have stayed at hundreds of hotels and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had! We got treated like crap and were over charged for our room compared to other guests who were staying there. The foreigners who run it are very rude and you can't even hold a conversation with them. I would recommend saving your money and keep driving through anamosa ia to a different city.

• Stayed September 2012
AnamosaSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Anamosa IA, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I thank you for staying with us at the Super 8 in Anamosa Iowa. I am sorry for the bad experience you had. If it was not for experiences like yours, we would not be able to improve our guest services. I am sorry that you think you were overcharged. The gentleman that was in line before you made a reservation through our brand website and that is the reason he saved so much money. You save more when you book through directly at the brand website. In your case, you booked a room from a 3rd party site, so you were not guaranteed the lowest price. When you book a single room for one person online and than show up with four adult construction workers you are going to get charged for an extra person. You got treated like crap? It was more like, you did not want to admit that you lied online about the amount of people that were going to stay with you and that was the reason why you did not want to hold a conversation. Honesty goes a long way no matter what country you are from. Those foreigners comment that you made shows how rude and ignorant you can be when things are not going your way. Please do not assume that we are rude just because you were trying to save a few bucks by booking your room online and than got caught trying to sneak more adults in the room then admitted. I wouldn't want to hold a conversation with someone that caught me red handed in a lie would you? In this country America, we do not reward dishonesty. If you would have just came forward with the amount of people that were going to stay with you and saved all the obnoxious racial comments we could have saved you even more. Lesson learned is always book directly through hotel or the brand website to save the most amount of money. I know this economy is rough but the truth can save you in the long run.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed here as a group in July. First off...the reservations that we had made months in advance were all screwed up. People that had non-smoking rooms were assigned smoking rooms, some didn't have reservations, the rooms were scattered all over the hotel (we booked a block of rooms), etc... Complaining made it much worse. Plus, every time a room was assigned, the person assigning the rooms would run up to the room to see if it was available. He would then run back down to check in the next person and then do the same thing. If we weren't so upset, it would have been funny.

Since the lobby has only 2 chairs in it, we asked if they could open up the breakfast room so we could visit with our friends. The answer was NO, at least that's what we think she said since her English was very bad.

Since we had no were else to go, all 12 of us went to my adjoining room to visit. A bit crowded but our only option.

We asked the owner for the Super 8 for the Super 8 corporate number so we could at least complain to someone that would listen. She wouldn't give it to us and wanted to know why we wanted it. We decided to look the number up on the internet when we got home and call them then.

We have stayed at many Super 8's because most of them are pretty nice. I think this one would be nice if it had someone else running the place. None of us will ever stay at this one again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
AnamosaSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Anamosa IA, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank You for your recent review of our hotel. We appreciate all the feedback we get regardless if it is positive or negative. Positive feedback lets us know we are doing our job right and negative feedback gives us an opportunity to make changes. I am sorry that you felt this was the worst ever. We are a small family owned property. We do not have the high dollar budget that most corporations out there have available. We work this hotel 24/7 to make ends meet and try to acquire the American Dream. I am sorry that the rooms were not ready early as you wanted them to be. Our check in time is at 3:00pm and this is if there are not that many check outs that morning. If the whole hotel is booked and there are many arrivals than most likely your rooms will not be ready before 3pm. We do not allow people to go into our breakfast rooms past breakfast hours. I think that the guest was a little upset because of the heat outside. They had been riding for a long time and we did not have a place to accommodate them to have them drink at. Our hotel is only 35 rooms and we do not have a designated area to be held as your "party room" I am sorry we would not let you drink in the lobby and be intoxicated while other guest are checking in. This would not be good for business. We do let people in our breakfast room to have a meeting or to have a pizza party. We do not let people use the breakfast area to get intoxicated. This is not a bar. This is a hotel where you rest your head at. If we were into catering hotel parties we would be a lot larger and have designated area for that. We just are not large enough to do this. . When people ask we give them the Super 8 hotline 1800 800 800. This is where they can handle all the questions guest have. I think this guest was really upset because we would not let party in the lobby or the breakfast room. If they were planning to have a family party they should have rented a meeting hall or banquet hall nearby. Do not be mad at us because we respect the rights of our guest. How would another guest feel when they are checking in and see 10-15 people drinking in the lobby? Try thinking from our perspective and we could have solved this issue. You Do Not Have to Go Damage Hotel Property Because You Were Not Happy. If I had a choice to not of had your business in the first place I would have opposed it if I knew this was what it was going to come to.

Bottom Line is we are a family owned property that work the hotel very hard each day. We are trying to do what ever we can to make guest happy. We know we can not make everyone happy at the end of the day. If we would have let you party in the lobby then we would of had other guest that day complain to us about it. We work 24/7 at this hotel everyday. We consider this hotel our lively hood. If it fails we fail, If it succeeds we succeed. The guest is our only boss. We try to do everything humanly possible to make sure they are happy. Sometimes we just can not give into their demands. I am sorry that we did not have a place for you to socialize, I know everyone is coming from different ends of America to meet. We understand that, we do the same thing in our culture. Its in human nature together and chat about old times and things that are going to come. But when we do not have a place for you to hang out, you can not get mad at us and start damaging hotel property. It just plan wrong. And shows how you disregard/disrespect us and our property. I am sorry it came to this. I wish this would have been a better ending for both of us.

GM

Ray

Travelers are raving about these Anamosa hotels

Memphis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stopped at the Super 8 on my way from St. Paul, MN. I found a a discount voucher for the hotel in a travel guide and it was well worth it. They had a huge selection of items for breakfast. The room was quiet and very clean. They had a large parking for my U-Hual truck. The owners (Mika & Ray)are very friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay special. Seems like they are working hard upgrading the property. I would stay here again on my next pass through to support a small business own by a hard working family.

Room Tip: Second floor had smoke smell in the hallway.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Madison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

I was at this hotel in June 2012 and wow has it changed since I have been there 2 years ago. It is under new ownership and they are making a difference to the hotel as each day pass. This hotel two years ago was a great quiet place to stay but it needed some updates. Now that I have return I was pleasantly surprised on how the hotel is now. It is run by a local family and they seem like they are working all day long. The other hotel in town I have stayed at many times and it is a very nice place since it is only a few years old but I really couldn't afford to pay almost twice as much to stay there. Not all of us can afford the $100 plus dollars it cost to just get a goods night sleep. If you are looking to stay a clean quiet family run hotel and not looking for all the frills as a swimming pool or lounge I would suggest to stay at the Super 8.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east are quieter because away from the highway.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed on the way through in the first week of November 2011. It wasn't horrible, but you could just tell it had a cheap feel to it (as many budget hotels owned and managed by the Patel families do). The room was clean, and the area is rather quiet in this sleepy little Iowa town. You can just tell the owners are cheap and put little into it beyond the basics. As with most hotels, you get what you pay for, and this one is no exception. It is perfect for the weary road traveler that just needs to stop, sleep, and get up and go again. If you're looking for something nicer with more amenities, try a resort on a beach. This one serves it's purpose for what it is.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Had a great visit to this location as always. They are in the process of updating and painting with new furniture to arrive in March. Love the new fresh look! Rooms have fridges and microwaves...very handy!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Angie B
West Branch, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

This Super 8 exceeded my expectations. The rooms have recently been upgraded, they are all clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is perfect - very convenient to Hwy 151 as well as many local businesses, including the Motorcycle Museum. I thought this hotel was a very good value.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Robi_JC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anamosa
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Anamosa
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids
Boulders Inn & Suites Monticello
Sleep Inn & Suites Mount Vernon

Been to Super 8 Anamosa IA? Share your experiences!