“We love the Cafe!”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Minneapolis, MN
“We love the Cafe!”
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We have never had bad food or bad service.

They have such a great variety of food and it is always changing, so you never get bored. Lots of healthy chocies, and some really interesting combos.

I can't decide- do I love breakfast at the cafe more, or lunch or dinner? The box sandwiches are great, too.

Seriously I can't think of anything bad except that they don't take reservations. They are always busy so plan for a short wait for a table if you have a large group.

• Korean first
Portland, Maine
“something for everyone”
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We sampled just a variety of appetizers for a light dinner and each was unique and well-prepared; I understand that the menu changes each month. It was very busy but we didn't know this till we stood up to leave as the seating is arranged so effectively and the wait staff is very attentive. Everything was delicious...save for one item...the coffee! maybe just the end of a pot?

Indianapolis, IN
“Wonderful and off the beaten path”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

This is a very nice, local cafe that is located just north of the University on Stange Road. The prices are on the high side, but the quality and atmosphere make it worth it. Our family makes sure to go here whenever we are in town visiting extended family. The bakery offers some pretty outstanding-looking goodies, though I've not tried anything (maybe next time!). It was busy when we went on a Sunday morning, but worth the wait. It appears they change the menu seasonally and offer locally grown food when available. I bet June will be amazing with local strawberries!

Ames, IA
“Great for local cuisine!”
Reviewed May 13, 2009

This restaurant changes their menu every couple of weeks or so because they use local growers and producers. I've eaten there for breakfast lunch and dinner and I've never been disappointed. I've even been thrilled a couple of times. My husband often gets their burger, it's a basic, but it will make you happy every time. They really make a great burger. I've noticed, every time I have gotten something with steak in it I have been thrilled. And while it is on the pricier side, on Thursday night, they have 5 dollar tappas - smaller entrees for only 5 dollars! Pretty good deal! The atmosphere is very nice! The service is always great! And they have the best creme brulee in the midwest! Their bakery always does a great job! I love their sourdough bread dipped in the buttermilk basil dressing! Yum, yum!

SAINT LOUIS
“Great food”
Reviewed December 29, 2008

While traveling through Iowa every couple of months, I stop in Ames overnight and The Cafe is a godsend. I eat there for dinner, and then for breakfast the next day, and then I even take a sandwich for the road. Their turkey with sun-dried cherries is amazing. It's a very pleasant restaurant to eat at, the service is always good, and the quality of food is quite high. Breads from their bakery are also great -- try their sourdough. I only wish this place was in my hometown.

Been to The Cafe? Share your experiences!