“Excellent atmosphere, cosy atmosphere”
Review of The Cafe

The Cafe
Ranked #2 of 193 Restaurants in Ames
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Ames, Iowa
“Excellent atmosphere, cosy atmosphere”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The food here is excellent, service very good, prices reasonable, and atmosphere enjoyable and quiet enough for conversation at your table.

Visited December 2012

• Korean first
Venice, Florida
“The Perfect Experience”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

What do you want when you go out to dine? Fresh, delicious, and often local food? Ambiance with an intimate atmosphere? Great service? An awesome bar with the BEST cucumber martinis anywhere? Are you saying YES over and over again? You might expect to have to go to a big city to find this restaurant, but SURPRISE! It's tucked away in Ames, IA!! If you live there, or are passing by, don't DON'T miss The Cafe!!! It's our favorite!! We have dined there dozens of times and although we are now in Florida, when we return to Iowa next month, it will be our first stop!!

• Visited December 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Creative Plates”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had the daily special sandwich (Chicken with Cranberry) and it was a great combination of flavors. I loved it. They have a good mix of local when able and constantly changing menu. I am excited to go back soon.

Visited December 2012
Ames, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Servers need some training”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I went to the cafe with 6 other work colleagues to celebrate the retirement of one of them. I ordered a pizza. The server delivered mac and cheese and when I said that wasn't mine, he took it away and left me sitting with my colleagues with no food while the rest of them ate. Finally he returned and said he'd made a mistake and punched in the wrong menu item. By that time I said, "Just bring me the mac and cheese, I don't want to keep waiting." He left. Several minutes later, he returned and said my pizza would be up in 3 more minutes. Great. Now my colleagues were almost finished with their meals. Finally, the chef brought the pizza but no plate. So I ate off the pizza tray until the server finally returned again and offered me a plate. Sheesh. I didn't make a stink...not wanting to ruin the mood of the group, but frankly, I expected some sort of accommodation for making me wait and then not bringing me a plate to use with my much delayed food. Nope. Not another word was said about the server's error. No apologies. It added up to no tip from me and a sour taste in my mouth from the Cafe...which has always been a good place to eat in the past. I sure hope their servers get some customer service training or I won't go back again!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Sandra G
Gurnee, Illinois
“Traveling salesman”
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Wow! Rated 5's across the board. I ordered the salmon with wild rice and mushroom risotto. It was excellent!
You must stop here. There dessert selection is fresh and popular. I understand they serve breakfast, lunch and a fabulos dinner.

Been to The Cafe? Share your experiences!