“Great stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bengaluru, India
“Great stay”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks on my business trip to Ames.
Great staff. Clean rooms and good breakfast. Veggie options are limited in the hot section.
Will recommend to others and will like to stay here in future too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for your four star review! We are glad you took the time to review your three week stay with us - it is good to hear from you again! We do have limited veggie options on our menu, but I have forwarded your comments on to our brand performance support team to see if there are any options we can add during your next visit to Ames! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mason City, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I often stay at Hampton and generally believe them to be a good value. The Ames location is not typical of other Hampton Inn's. It is unusually high priced, the furnishings are worn and the air conditioning is deafening and cools poorly. The beds look like they were made by a drunken college kid. The one bright spot. The lady who runs the breakfast area is extremely polite and friendly. I hope my stay is an isolated incident.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for giving us detailed feedback about your past stay with us! We are very sorry to hear we didn't meet your expecations with us during your time with us, but are glad you gave us feedback so we know what areas we need to work on before your next trip with us to the Ames area. We are always looking for ways to improve and look forward to showing you the changes the next time you are in the area.
Mascoutah, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Great hotel experience. All staff are friendly and helpful rather it be recommending places nearby to visit or assist with your accomatations. Very clean and great breakfast! Breakfast choices included healthy and fresh food as well as delicious cinnamon rolls! The pool was pristine and relaxing after a busy day. The use of the internet came in handy for my daughter's homework as well as my business. Having a thermostat in the room also gave my room an at-home feel. Lots of fluffy pillows to relax on and fresh smelling linens.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your five star rating! We are glad to see you enjoyed your time with us. We have been undergoing many changes as a brand over the past 6 months and are glad you noticed many of the new items we have implemented from our new baked goods served on our “On The House Hot Breakfast” to our new Down Dreams pillows in the guest rooms! We take pride in serving all of our guests, and your review put a smile on our team! We look forward to welcoming you back to Ames again soon!
Lawrence, KS, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Tip: First thing, check the bedding. We saw ants crawling in the sheets. No alternate rooms available.Bath sink and tub-shower accessibility problems. Door deadbolt wouldn't close--door so out-of-plumb.We stay at Hampton Inns a lot and have never, ever found this. Appropriately, the hotel assured us they would not charge us for the room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback about your past stay with us! We are truly sorry about how your past stay went with us. We assure you this is not the normal experience at our Hampton, and we are sad to say we did not live our 100% Satisfaction promise. We have undergone many changes including a new pest control company to ensure everything you mentioned to our team has been corrected. If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to reach out to me or anyone on our team.
Ames, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I thought I was getting 2 queen beds but I got 2 double instead. Very uncomfortable is smaller bed. Breakfast was ok but pool had high chlorine level when we arrived and also I was not able to get an extra night due to the price of the room jumping from 99 per night to 179 in just a day of make reservation

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hampton! Next time you stay with us, please check out our rooms with king beds, they are just perfect for business travels like yourself! We do apologize about our rates, but they do change daily as we try to remain competitive with other hotels of our quality. If there is anything we can do for you prior to your next stay please feel free to reach out to myself. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Toano, Virginia
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is a nice hotel but nothing exceptional. Good for a short term stay. Location was good if you wanted to be near the Interstate, not so good if you wanted to be close to Iowa State University. Rooms and furnishings were very good. Service was fine. Food at breakfast was of uneven quality. Value (based on the pricing) was so- so. Pool was nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your time with us! We are always looking for ways to improve and we will take note on your comments! We have located your reservation, and we know you loved our omelets we had two of the four days you stayed with us! We placed a note on your Hilton Honors profile to ensure we have some made up for you during your next trip to the area. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Centerville, Iowa, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I hate to leave bad hotel reviews.

I will say that it wasn't a horrible stay. I only stayed here in the first place, however, because I needed to stay in Ames and my normal hotel was not available. So, I gave this place a shot because it was the only one left.

It was clean. Bed was comfortable. I loved the office chair. I am so happy this is one of those hotels that are starting to catch on and putting easily accessible outlets and charging stations bedside and at the workstation desk.

The whirlpool was pretty solid however one of the nobs was broke, and the area where the waterfalls down was fragile, as in, fell apart if you accidentally nudged it. The controls to turn it on require you to completely exit and walk around the wall to turn it back on, if necessary. Little annoying, really, especially since the floors get pretty slippery when wet in the background.

I was wanting to watch something on my laptop, via HDMI. However, that was a complete pain to maneuver. I essentially gave up trying to do it the correct way, and plugged my cable into where the HDMI1 slot was pulling the HD TV from.

Speaking of HDTV, this was the best TV in a hotel room I've had. That's not saying too much, but hopefully this catches on at other locations. Never got the supposed digital TV guide to work, though. That'd be a nice feature.

Internet was pitifully slow. It's time hotels get with the times and actually get some high speed Internet.

The room was fairly small for a king suite, however, I'm not overly concerned about that. I also did not see a refrigerator in the room. So, either it wasn't there, or so hidden I couldn't see it. I only stayed one night, but that's very annoying for long-term stays. For the highest available room at this facility, a refrigerator should be standard.

There was a TON of noise from some horribly bratty kids that literally occupied all of the rooms surrounding me. They spent most of the day/night jumping from room to room and generally being obnoxious in the hallways. Thankfully (sarcasm) their parents were absolutely not the least bit concerned, nor was the hotel management who, just about 20 doors down the hall, definitely was hearing the commotion.

About 20 minutes after checking in, the front desk called my room to make sure everything was going OK. I feel like a rude person to complain about this, but I was a reporter, trying to file a story before deadline. And it messed up my focus and really nothing was accomplished by it.

Overall, I felt the room was overpriced. I normally stay at a much nicer hotel, for less than I paid for one night here. This is a solid and clean hotel. But you can easily find that around the area for much less per night.

I probably won't stay again. I travel to Ames just once a year, normally. Next time if my normal spot is not available, I'll stay outside of Ames most likely.

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor and had a lot of noise from above and some bratty kids next door. I woul...