“Can't Go Wrong”

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Ames
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Can't Go Wrong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

My son is a student at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, and when I visit him I always stay at the Hampton Inn. It's a very good value, with clean rooms and extremely friendly and helpful staff. A nice perk of staying there is the complimentary breakfast. I think that there is something in the breakfast for nearly everyone, even those, like my children, that might suffer from food allergies. The Hampton Inn is easily accessible from the highway, and yet it is just a ten minute drive from the campus. I think that it offers a good value for the price, and recommend it to all.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for everything you had to say about your past stay with us at our Hampton! Our entire team's goal is to ensure you are 100% satisfied with your stay, and we are glad we met our goal! We just recently underwent a breakfast remix, and are glad to hear you enjoy all of our new items, we certainly do! We look forward to being a part of you and your family’s adventure at Iowa State University, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Marshalltown, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

10 friends meet annually and my wife & I travel nationally & internationally but NONE of us have ever experienced a better hotel experience than this place. From the manager actually calling me prior to our arrival to the staff greeting us upon arrival. This hotel was not our 1st choice but since other hotels were full Hampton was available, to our good fortune! Hampton Inn is at the top of our list when traveling, but Ames Hampton Inn is the number one place to stay in Ames Iowa. Clean, quiet, close to attractions, easy to find and one GREAT STAFF that makes for a great stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
It was great to see you during your past stay with us at our Hampton! Our entire team works very hard to ensure we are always exceeding our guest's expecations, and we are thrilled to hear we are now your number one choice when coming to the area! We have many exciting changes happening over the next year, and we look forward to sharing them with you! On behalf of our entire team we look forward to welcoming you back to Ames the next time you are in the area!
Story City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Lisa Smart, the wonderfully entertaining Breakfast Attendant, really makes my day! She really is a priceless asset to the entire friendly and helpful staff at the Hampton Inn of Ames, Iowa. Thanks for brightening my day, Lisa!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ron W
Thank you so much for putting a smile on our team’s faces with your awesome review! We strongly believe the heart of our hotel comes from our team! Lisa was thrilled to hear your comments, you brightened her day! On behalf of our team in Ames, we look forward to seeing you again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was a bit worried when we ended up on the first floor (always prefer an upper floor room), but we were lucky to not have any late-night noise issues, despite being fairly close to the pool. The typical nice, clean Hampton room. Their wi-fi network was extremely slow, to the point that I disconnected from it and used my phone as a much faster wi-fi hotspot. The breakfast area was very small, but Hampton standards. Nice location, though, right off the highway. Didn't have much interaction with the staff, but they were nice folks.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kcboy
Thank you for your comments about our Hampton! I have found your reservation and updated your Hilton Honors profile to ensure next time you stay with us we get you in a room on our top floor! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, despite the issues you had with our wireless internet. I forwarded on your comments to our Stay Connected By AT&T team to see what went wrong! We are very excited to let our guests know that we are in the planning stages of opening a brand new Hampton Inn & Suites, set to open in 2015! We look forward to your continued loyality and we can't wait to welcome you back soon!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I'll start out by saying I hate staying in hotels. They are expensive, the beds are never comfortable, and the staff usually doesn't care. This wasn't true on my recent trip through Ames. A lot of hotels were sold out this weekend and with choices thinning we finally settled on this Hampton. My wife and I had had some engine troubles with our car so we got a late start. Needless to say, by the time we reached the hotel, we were exhausted. Upon entering the hotel we were greater warmly, check-in was fast, and to top things off we were handed hot fresh cookies. After we had settled in, we got a call on our phone in the room. This kind of confused us, but we answered it anyways. It turns out that it was the front desk calling to make sure we were comfortable. Ive stayed at many hotels and I've never had anyone check on me. Over all, the hotel is an older hotel yes, but what it lacks in the building itself, we feel it defiantly makes up for with the staff. I think they need to renovate the hotel or move the staff, but I still feel they are above and beyond.

Room Tip: Ask for more cookies, and they will bring them to you
Green Features: They seem to have practice in place. We did notice that all of their lighting is efficient and they have a clothes washing policy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for putting a smile on our team's faces! Your review is exactly what we love to hear! We truly believe that our team is what makes our hotel the best in the area, and we are glad you could feel what we like to call "Hamptonality" from the moment you walked into our building! We are very happy to announce that we are in the planning stages of our building a brand new Hampton Inn and Suites, planned to open in 2015! If there is anything else we can do for you prior to your next visit please feel free to let anyone on our team know!
Bellevue, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I went to visit my son and my granddaughters and we always stay at this hotel as it close to my son/his wife. We always stay at this Hampton Inn because it is so nice and well kept. The location is really great as a church is close also, that my wife likes to attend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments about our Hampton! It is always great to see you and your family during your travels to Ames! We hope to see you again soon in a few months for your granddaughters upcoming birthday in May! If there is anything we can do for you prior to your next stay please let any one on our team know!
LA, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

a good place to stay in Ames Iowa where the people are friendly, the hotel is comfortable, and the price is very affordable leaving little doubt that Hampton is the working-man's choice for a decent night's accommodation

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

"Real Value From Your Friends At Hampton" is one of our best mottos and your review reflects that we are a great choice when you are looking for real value! From free high speed internet, free breakfast, free coffee tea and hot chocolate you can't go wrong when booking at Hampton! On behalf of our entire team in Ames, we thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!