Red Roof Inn Ames
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$119
$125
GrandStay
$110
Hampton.com
All reviewsfront deskroom was cleaniowa statea nice place to staywaffleshot breakfasttracyialinensfacilityhighwayisu
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

My son and I stayed here after the first Iowa State football game of the season. Go State, anyway the hotel was nice and quiet and the rooms and beds were super comfy. Staff was friendly . I would defiantly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Started off bad. Needed a room due to quick-notice funeral

Could not get posted rate. Paid 20-bucks more because they were supposedly full, with my one day ad advance reservation. Heard the desk clerk arguing with someone else about it when I checked in.

Room was spotless clean.

But the a/c unit must have been made by Pratt & Whitney--I swear I could hear speed brakes being deployed.

And, every 30 minutes, Fred Flintstone rolled a very large boulder past my window-I have no idea what that was--all night.

I am allergic to feathers. No big deal, they kindly changed out my linens and pillows while I was away at the service, except for one pillow. Which I slept on. And woke up feeling like someone had mowed 10' ragweeds in my room.

Breakfast saved me money. Not this time. Some kind of egg and cheese-like fold-over. No offense Wisconsin. And Turkey sausage?

Coffee and get the heck out for me.

C'mon Hampton.

• Stayed: July 2012
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. Our guests’ comfort and safety is my number one concern. Your review will assist in correcting issues in the future. I would also like to apologize for the issues you encountered at check in, and the quality of our breakfast! I have forwarded on your comments to our brand support team within Hilton Worldwide about our breakfast, as we use the same products for breakfast as every Hampton Inn!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during a basketball tournament. I was nervous when we checked in, because the hotel was full, and they placed us next to a very busy suite, with a young baby and a number of rowdy teenage basketball players. However, I was pleasantly surprised, since we never heard a peep - we had a room on the end of the floor, and didn't hear doors slamming, elevators binging, ice makers coughing, etc that you normally hear at hotels throughout the night. And the women who hosted the breakfast were so sweet to everyone, especially an elderly couple and several young children (who they called by name). It put a smile on face to see that type of attention, and to see the recipients' light up.
One downside - our room was a king with a sleeper suite. My basketball player had to sleep on the sleeper couch, which was not comfortable. We improvised and placed all our extra pillows to form an extra layer, and she slept very soundly. The ensuite kitchen was wonderful to have. The hotel is convenient to everything - never took more than 15 minutes to reach any one destination in Ames.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Oneoffourteen
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you so much for your very kind comments about our Hampton! Our staff is thrilled to see that you had a great experience staying with us. I shared your comments with our breakfast team members and your comments made there day! We look forward to your return the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

There was a heavy smell of Febreeze in the room. It gave me a huge headache and didn't go away during the stay. I'm not sure what they were trying to cover up, as the room appeared to be decently clean. Breakfast was OK. The breakfast area was busy and when I was there, they were out of forks, eggs and fresh cut fruit. The front desk person was polite, but that was the extent of the customer service I experienced.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ames, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

We are so glad you were able to take the time to provide us with feedback about your past stay with us at our Hampton! It is from your feedback that gives us an insight to our hotel's success and I promise we were not trying to cover anything up in your guest room! In accordance with our "Non-Scents" program we use febreze fabric refresher in every guest room, everyday! After researching your reservation it looked as if your room attendant had just finished with your room, and the smell of febreze may not have settled in yet but with your feedback we are now actively taking steps to freshen our guestrooms to a point where the smell isn’t overwhelming or disruptive. Again thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel! We loved having you here and we look forward to your return the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

My family stayed here for 2 nights. We were visiting Iowa State University and it was conveniently located. The staff was wonderfully friendly, the rooms clean, everything we have come to expect from Hampton Inns, which we try to stay at on all of our trips.
The only complaints we had was a very loud a/c unit and extremely soft beds. While some might like that, all 4 of us slept very poorly both nights because of that. All the other Hamptons we have ever stayed at had firm beds.
The beds are the only reason this hotel did not get 5 stars from me.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review of our Hampton! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Ames area! Without your feedback we are not able to see the things we did do right and the things we need to work on to improve our hotel and service! We hope you had a safe trip back home and look forward to your return soon!