Gateway Hotel & Conference Center
$119
Red Roof Inn Ames(Ames)(Great Value!)
$110
$63
$101
$109
Country Inn
Holiday Inn Express Ames(Ames)(Great Value!)
$94
  • Breakfast included
$161
$140
$77
All reviewsstayed hereiowa stateexecutive roomdecent sizecollege kidsrooms are comfortableroom temperaturedecent hotelnice roomking beddes moinesvisit amesmy sonup to datein townstaff was friendlybeds
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I was really excited to stay at this hotel after reading the reviews. However, I found that when I checked in my expectations were too high.

My room (an Executive King) was nothing to write home about. It was a standard hotel room. The bathroom was also nothing special. The glass block shower was dark and looked a little moldy. I also expected there to be a bathtub since the room description said "full bath" but there was only the walk-in shower.

The biggest disappointment was the bed. The room description said a pillow-top, but I found that my bed was mearly an old spring mattress with a flimsy pad on top. It wasn't comfortable. The linens were okay -- better than what you'd find at a Super8, but certainly not the high quality I expected.

All the channels on the TV were blurry. I tried to order room service but the kitchen was closed.

Because of all these disappointments, I checked out after 2 hours and drove home early. The front desk was kind enough not to charge me anything.

I wouldn't stay here again. However, this might be the best hotel you can get in Ames.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank HannahBee123
Reviewed July 19, 2007

The Gateway Center is absolutely the best place to stay when visitng Ames and has good food, nice lobby bar area and lovely grounds. I really enjoy the stream in the lobby and it can be a very welcoming place to return, particularly on a cold winter night. All of the rooms a nice, the executive wing rooms are slightly larger, but are only available in King bed format. While the food is very good, the room service tends to be slow. Still the Gateway is the absolute best place to stay if you are visiting ISU or Ames. Enjoy

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mktozd
Reviewed May 1, 2007

My family, extended family, and I stayed at the Gateway Center in May 2006 for my graduation from ISU. We were there all evening and it was a great time. We had one of their smaller buisness offices rented out for my party and the food served was excellent. After diner we all went into the resturaunt bar and had many drinks and shots (we're Irish) and even though we were the only ones left at the end of the evening, they kept the resturaunt bar open for us!

When it was time to go to bed we found out that the Air Conditioning was broken in the room we reserved. The Gateway immediately located another vacant room and moved our bags for us. The beds in the room we slept in were extreemly comfortable (comfortable matress and big fluffy down comforters) and I had an excellent night of rest.

All in all I think this is a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank ATO_Hulk
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Stayed at this hotel last summer. The room was small but extremely comfortable. My favorite part was the down comforters on the beds and even felt good in June. I would definitely stay here again

Stayed: June 2006
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We were pleasantly surprised at the down comforters on the wonderful beds at the Gateway. It felt so much more luxurious than your average hotel and a great deal more comfortable. We would definitely stay here again if we were to travel to Ames.

• Stayed: June 2005