I stayed at the Gateway Center Hotel in Ames, Iowa, for a conference in August. The hotel and conference center performed well in certain regards but poorly in others, adding up to just an average rating overall.
There were several positives:
- Free parking
- Good wireless Internet throughout the hotel and conference center
- Prompt housekeeping
- Free business center (although small)
- Helpful front desk staff
- Very good conference food service
There were also several negatives:
- Extremely loud HVAC system, both in guest rooms and in the conference center
- Outdated and slightly unclean bathroom in guest room
- Single, corded phone in guest room
- Dreary pool area and musty exercise room
- Spotty cell phone coverage in the guest tower
Finally, there were some take-it-or-leave-it features:
- Location is convenient to ISU campus and local restaurants only if you have a car. There is nothing except a gas station within walking distance of the hotel.
- The hotel layout is a bit disjointed and would be difficult to navigate in a wheelchair.
- Guest elevators are shared by the housecleaning staff. In three nights, I had three or four instances where I could not board an elevator due to housekeeping carts.
This is probably the best hotel in Ames, but that still means it is just a three-star facility.More
- Free Wifi
- Free Parking