Gateway Hotel & Conference Center
$109
Red Roof Inn Ames(Ames)(Great Value!)
$100
$120
$106
Agoda.com
Hampton.com
All reviewsstayed hereiowa stateexecutive roomdecent sizecollege kidsrooms are comfortableroom temperaturedecent hotelnice roomking beddes moinesvisit amesmy sonup to datein townstaff was friendlybeds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Very nice building on the exterior, and the landscaping would make you think it was a great hotel. the staff is wonderful, don't know that you could find more accommodating people. The hotel is getting dated though, as in our room the wallpaper is peeling, the furniture is dated, and the place just looks tired. Room ceilings looked like they needed painting, Kind of surprised when we were staying in the executive section of the hotel, that there wasn't a mini frig or a microwave. The window closer on the crank out window was in my hand, and the window would not close completely when I got ready for bed. It took me a bit, but finally got the window closed, as the Hwy 20 four lane divided highway is just off the property, so with the window open you hear the trucks and other traffic. Would we stay again, Don't think so.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We booked this hotel last minute via priceline for $50. The staff was very pleasant at check-in and, however, our impression of the hotel was that it was kinda tired and run down. There was dim lighting, dated furniture and the layout of the parking lot, to the lobby/check-in desk to the elevator bank to the rooms was very confusing and not easily navigated. Around 1AM, the hotel had a small fire which meant building had to be evacuated. After waiting for 15 minutes, we snuck back into the hotel, got our belongings and hit the road. The fire crews seemed to be hunkering in for a long night and we did not want to wait it out. On our drive home, we contacted priceline and they fully refunded the price of the hotel after corroborating the story with the hotel. For $50, this place was worth the price. However, at their regular retail price of $90-$150, this hotel is WAY over priced.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jake B
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed at the Gateway for Odyssey of the Mind World Finals and had an excellent stay. The room was clean and comfortable, and the the staff was accommodating and friendly. As part of our package we were given a breakfast and dinner buffet in one of their banquet rooms. For a buffet the food was quite good, and our last dinner there was excellent. The staff made sure that each of the buffet stations was reasonably full. The staff also worked hard at busing the tables and keeping the dining room clean. I look forward to going back there in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Felegund
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I am often traveling the Midwest, and one of my favorite spots on the I-35 corridor through the state of Iowa is not actually in Des Moines, but just a bit north, in Ames, Iowa, The Gateway. Just off Hwy. 30 as you exit the interstate, and directly south of one of the Big 12 Conference universities, Iowa State, this hotel features one of the more-unique designs, with very comfortable rooms, excellent meeting/banquet facilities, and a great staff. Two primary attractions for me are the Business/Exec-side to the hotel, a block of suites with a few more amenities for the business traveler. I also love what is now called The IowaStater Restaurant and bar, which now features micro-brews from Iowa. Of course, The Big 12's Iowa State University is right up the road too...

Room Tip: If on business, this property features its own, quieter Biz/Exec block of rooms with great parking and nice King-suites amenities.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Bill W
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I've stayed here several times, each with excellent bedding (both mattress and sheets) and an above average degree of cleanliness. Parking is quite ample. I have neither eaten in the restaurant nor used the pool. Only 2 things would make this hotel top-notch. It was 18 degrees F outside when I checked in the hotel and found my room set to a sweltering 77, which is way too warm for me to sleep. I opened the window but 2 hours later, it was still 70, so I had to turn on the AC, which is ridiculous. When I mentioned this to a front desk clerk, he said that the previous clients may have turned the temperature higher. Note to management -- why not have housekeeping check thermostat before they leave after cleaning the room? Because of varying preferences by guests (not to mention additional heating costs for unoccupied rooms), the temperature should be moderate.

The second issue is that there are no clean drinking glasses. There are disposable cups and actual glass cups, but they're unsealed and sitting in the bathroom, literally a few inches from the toilet -- unacceptable. It's much more sanitary to have a cheap, but sealed, drinking vessel as opposed to one that is exposed to inherent bathroom germs.

However, with the exception of the room temperature and no sanitary drinking glasses, the hotel really is overall clean and neat with an attentive staff. I will, no doubt, frequent it again during my travels.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business