WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Franklin, Wisconsin
“Would stay again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Very nice hotel Beds were great, flat screen tv, nice desk area to work. Room and bathroom were large. I would like to see more accessible outlets for cell phone and laptop. shouldn't have to crawl under desk to plug in. There was only 1 available plug next to bed. shower could use an update, drain plug was out and shower curtain was cheap. I didn't use restaurant or pool, but hotel was well maintained and inviting. Stayed one night, would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fairbury, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at the Gateway this week for three nights. It is a nice and clean hotel, but lacked in one way - electical outlets! In the day we live in, with all the electronic gadgets we use in our day-to-day lives, you would think any hotel would pay more attention to this. There are ways to help - even when the wiring may have been done long enough ago that the need was less. Pretty disappointed in that aspect. Another problem I experienced was the heater. Not very good at keeping the room constant. I am generally trying to cool the rooms down, but I was cold here! I left a note one day to have someone look at it, and it seemed to be working when I got back. Didn't last long until it was cold again. I actually unplugged the unit. Not a good solution, but I was tired of having cool air blowing.

Room Tip: Room 713 is by the elevator, but quiet. Heater was not very good. Few electrical outlets.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Andover, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel many times but each time we see more and more items that need attending. The carpet on the way to the newly renovated restaurant is old, worn and dangerously buckling. Anyone with a handicap using a walker, cane, or wheelchair would find this a scary walk.

We LOVE the sauna, and whirlpool so that is what keeps us coming back, but the rest of the hotel needs to be kept up to date. The elevators are old, dirty, have bad carpeting and sound scary when climbing up to the higher floors.

Staff has always been extremely accommodating and kind.

Room Tip: All rooms seem equal as we've tried many locations. All above average.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ISUmom_Minnesota
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here over a weekend while visiting our college student grandson. Convenient to campus and clean, but not as well maintained as some chains having the same daily rate. Layout is strange & the Executive Center rooms not easily accessible. Found some burned out lightbulbs on entering. Housekeeping didn't arrive until 5PM for daily room cleaning. Front desk said that was normal for those staying over. No fridge or microwave available. No complimentary breakfast & that served in the dining room was expensive & mediocre - no better than some of those included in the chain hotels. Pillows were hard. Probably will try another hotel on future trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ajh9Indy
Bolingbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Good location for my reason for being in Ames, close to campus, and restaurants not far away by car. Stayed here one night for a conference. The executive king room was clean and nicely decorated, bed comfortable. Very quiet except for the heat unit, which actually worked too well, I only had it on for a brief time and it made the room too warm for comfortable sleeping (at least for me). The clerks at the front desk were really pleasant and helpful and made me feel welcome. I can't comment on the breakfast, because although I had a coupon for a free buffet meal, they didn't start serving until 6:30 (on a week day) and my schedule didn't allow me time to have breakfast. It would be great if they could start at 6:00 instead. Otherwise a pleasant stay and I plan to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I came to Ames to visit a friend at ISU. I decided to try the Gayeway because the rooms looked nice and the location was good. I was completely satisfied with both. The room, one of the larger executive king rooms was well appointed and the bed was very comphy. I was surprised that the room only had a shower. I was expecting a bath and shower.
Soon after I occupied the room I found it cold. So I went to turn on the heat. No heat. I tried just the fan. No fan. I called the front desk and they tell me that I can only heat the room 20 degrees above the outdoor temperature. Since it was a nice warm 48 degrees outside (lol) I couldn't heat the room. This did not bode well for someone paying for an executive room. But she assured me that it would work later that night "when it gets colder!" But when I returned from my night out with friends.... No heat. The room was not cold, but chilly - I must have been benefiting from the heat in the hallway. It being late, me being tired and in no mood to stay up waiting for maintenance, I took to the bed where the comphie comforter did a great job keeping me warm.
I spoke with the reception desk in the morning. They apologized and had the problem resolved by the time I finished breakfast. Later they called and told me that they had comped me for the room and breakfast. I was not expecting nor requesting the comp but I accepted their generosity.
I'm undecided whether I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Bozeman, MT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Overall a nice hotel, big rooms (furniture a bit outdated). Bathroom was OK but a remodeling will make it much better. Good set of amenities. The A/C unit was too noise, had to turn it off. The restaurant is OK (we had to eat there a few nights because there is nothing close but Pizza delivery). However, if you eat at the restaurant plan to have dinner early. The first night we arrived late and the restaurant was still open I ordered a squash fettuccini and it was not good. However, next day my colleague ordered the same dish and it was completely different!. The staff were always polite and helpful. The really downside of the hotel is the location, it is 10-15 mins walk to the university campus (or stadium), but if you are going downtown and don't have time to walk then you just need to take a taxi. Just because of the location I would be hesitant to go back to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business