“Large, comfy rooms”

Gateway Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just returned from Ames and once again chose Gateway for our stay. I was worried when I found out the hotel was booked because of move-in day at the dorms but it was as quiet as could be on the 7th floor. I think my husband and I have stayed at all the other comparably priced hotels in Ames and have decided that this hotel is the cleanest and most comfortable. The King rooms have comfy beds and plenty of space. The bathrooms are bright and clean. The front desk employees are helpful and try to ensure a pleasant stay. We used the pool and fitness center this time and found those amenities to be equally clean. I am willing to forgo the places that serve free breakfast to stay here since I've found the Gateway to be the cleanest and have the most professional staff. We'll return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cork_yt123

Reviewed August 12, 2012

The staff couldn't have been more helpful- when I asked for a quiet room and a comfortable bed they gave me a free upgrade to an business suite. The room was quiet and the walk-in shower was wonderful. Everything was great but the mattress and pillows. Good thing I was tired enough to sleep on the floor- wasn't much difference between the floor and the bed. Got a good rate on priceline - I would have really been unhappy if I'd paid full price. Didn't eat at the hotel restraurant and there isn't a free breakfast here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank connie r
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Motel is a bit outdated, but seemed to be well taken care of. We stayed 3 nights. Check in was smooth and efficient. Our room was on 5th floor...nice view. Room was clean and comfortable. Cons: For this class motel, the rooms were not as quiet as I expected. We could hear the people talking in the room next door. The bed needs to be replaced. Sagged some in the middle. Overall a good stay, just not quite up to the par I expect for this class motel. We reserved this motel through priceline so for the price it was a good deal.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rita P
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed at the Gateway two nights. Although a bit outdated it was clean and the staff was very friendly. As others have mentioned, the beds were uncomfortable. Every time I would run the water in the bathroom it would smell of sewer gas. The restaurant was overpriced. All things considered I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank dupersuperfly
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel is pretty dated from the outside. It's fairly dated on the inside as well but it looked like they had some new furniture in the lobby/common areas. The room was spacious but the beds were not comfortable and they do not give you a range of pillows (the only choice is hard and flat). It is also VERY LOUD. You can hear all the doors slamming and echoing. I was able to put my fan on high to drown out some of the noise. Free internet is a plus. No free breakfast is a bummer (it will cost you around $10 if you eat at the IowaStater which is inside the hotel). You will also have to drive to a restaurant for lunch/dinner if you don't want to eat at the hotel restaurant because it's kind of segregated from the rest of the city. Overall, I would recommend trying somewhere else in Ames for your stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank laewagne
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed one night in the Gateway Center. We had no transportation but it was conveniently located right by a CyRide stop (the local bus transport to Iowa State campus and downtown). They had a pretty nice reception area with a sunken lounge. The room, on first glance, was very nice, with nice fluffy white linens (which always speaks well to their cleaning, you can't hide anything when it's white). Carpet was fairly new and clean. Bathroom was good size with soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion provided.

I give this hotel just three stars for 3 reasons:
1. The beds were VERY soft and bouncy. Not good for bad lower backs - if you have one, I'd warn you away from this hotel strongly. My husband's back has been acting up lately and he woke up with a terrible backache.

2. The fitness center was pretty sad for a conference center hotel. Just 4 pieces of equipment (2 treadmills, an elliptical, and recumbent bike). In the evenings, the place was full. In the morning when I came to work out, I was the first one there, which was nice, but people streamed in after me, and it turned out one of the treadmills wasn't working. A conference hotel should have more equipment than this.

3. The breakfast - we had gotten vouchers for the buffet, and I checked the menu/schedule in the elevator, it said breakfast was served until 11 am. So we arrived at 10:10, and were told that the buffet was only served until 10 am. They begrudgingly agreed to keep it open for us, but the eggs were dried out and everything was depleted, so it wasn't a great experience. I had a pretty decent fresh made waffle, at least.

So, to sum up: the hotel is attractive and perfectly nice if you don't have back problems or want to work out and eat breakfast early. But I'd call it average (at best) for a conference hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dulcinea10
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Very friendly and welcoming staff. Bedroom and bathroom both bright and clean. Comfortable beds. Hotel restaurant food was exceptional (I'm a foodie) and the wait staff (bartender and waitress) were friendly and professional. Maybe it was Iowa hospitality, but we found the Gateway Ames to be a very exceptional hotel experience. Worth coming back just to stay for fun!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business