“Pleasant stay in Ames” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Ocala, Florida
“Pleasant stay in Ames”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

I was a bit apprehensive about booking this location coming from Wichita, KS. We checked in the night of the bad storms and it was a bit sketchy for awhile. We never lost power but could tell we were in the midst of a upper midwest thunderstorm. Being from Florida we are used to storms but not on this level. We barely got checked in and settled and all hell broke loose.

Checkin was uneventful I don't recall the young lady thanking me for being an Elite member although our keys indicated that. The room was nice and what I would expect from a Fairfield and wish they had the same layout here in Wausau, WI at the Fairfield. We had a nice night sleep after the storms moved through and woke up to a clear and sunny day. After being on the road I was exhausted so we didn't do the breakfast. Overall impressed with the hotel. They didn't have any supplies or drinks like they normally do at a fairfield.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Ames, IA area. My advice though is to get your drinks and sandwiches at the neighboring truck stop subway store. They didn't have anything in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OCALAFLORIDATRAVELER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

It is a good hotel. They made sure I knew in advance that they were going through some constructions and painting repairs in the lobby. I was in the second floor and I was able to hear people walking in the third floor.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Maplewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel. The first time was two years ago.

Nice, clean hotel. The employees are very friendly and helpful. We were there visiting family and stayed two nights.

It is VERY important to me that a hotel is clean and this hotel fit the bill! Other than construction/remodel stuff in the lobby area, the hotel was very orderly and clean.

The hotel is just finishing up with a remodel - the guest rooms are done and when we were there, they were finishing with the lobby and breakfast area. We were very happy with our room - it was completely updated and the bed was very comfortable. It was really nice to have a microwave and refrigerator in our room - with a 4 year old, we need that for snacks and leftovers from eating out.

Breakfast was nice - eggs, bacon, toast, bagels, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, milk, juice, yogurt, muffins....something for everyone. My 4 year old found something she liked and was happy and that is a big deal! The gal taking care of the breakfast area was very hard working and was continually refilling everything!

I would absolutely recommend this hotel! It is like new and the service really is great. We will stay again next time we visit!

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor - our room was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed a night recently on a business trip. When I arrived there was lots of construction trailers and equipment parked out front. i was a bit uncertain as to whether they were open or under construction. When I walked in the lobby.....my view stayed the same, there was carpet and other materials everywhere, and lots of workers working.....but there was someone at the reception who greeted me.

They asked whether I knew they had remodeling going...and well I didn't. But as I learned it was the lobby area they were finishing up...the rooms were already complete.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the room. It was completely updated.

And when I checked out in the morning...the lobby was nearly complete, although when I arrived the afternoon before it was a disaster. I didn't stay for the morning breakfast...but instead chose to go to a nearby restaurant.

But I would recommend this hotel...it's like new, and the service I had was great.

Enjoy

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank kh57ca
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

The hotel is nice, with all the features that you find in a Fairfield hotel: cookies in the receptio, quality rooms, BUT but several sections are on repair: the carpet missing in the lobby, you can hear some noise during the day, there is plastic in some hallways and also some tools on the floor.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer H, Director of Operations at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. Yes, we are coming to the end of our exciting remodel! I apologize for the mess as we are working to improve our hotel. We are scheduled to be complete by the first of May 2014. The 3rd and 2nd floor rooms are complete and now we are currently working on 1st floor. I'm confident that you will love our new look once the 1st floor is complete. I hope you will try us again, when you travel back to the Ames area.

Thank you again!
Jennifer
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

the hotel is up to date. friendly and helpful staff. Location is a little out of the way, but they are several hotels in the area. standard breakfast, good value. Rooms are up to date. For the money its probably the best place to stay in Ames.

• Stayed February 2014
Cedar Rapids, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here for a conference 2 nights in late February 2014. Nice, clean hotel. Very friendly front desk staff. Gave us coupons for local Dublin restuarant that was excellent. Hotel seemed updated and very clean. Had a king suite on 3rd floor. Very comfortable bed, flat screens TV's with DirecTV made it nice to stay in the room. Only complaint was breakfast was a little below average of Holiday and Hampton Inns, and excercise room was very minimal. NIce hotel with friendly people and most imporantly, very clean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business