“Friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed two nights at the Fairfield and found the hotel to be just as expected for the chain. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean and well appointed. I was met by the check in clerk who informed me I was their "guest of the day" and received a plate of cookies...nice touch!
The complimentary breakfast was standard fair. Waffles, cold cereal, microwavable breakfast sandwiches and such.
I'll be returning to Ames in the future and I'll be staying at this hotel again, looking forward to it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. Our staff works extremely hard to supply superior guest service. It is great to see that we met your expectations. If ever we can be of further service, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

The room was modern. Bed was nice, big, clean. Plenty of pillows. Bathroom roomy and clean. Mini fridge and microwave in the room. A fine, free continental breakfast. Staff friendly. I have zero complaints.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Evangex04
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. We work very hard to supply superior guest service and it makes all the hard work worth it when we receive reviews from our guests like the one you supplied. We were happy to serve your lodging needs and hope to do so again in the near future.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I recently stayed here for a wedding i attended with my family. The kids enjoyed the pool, and thought the breakfest was okay. But my son left his very expensive pillow specifically for his back due to chronic neck pain in our hotel room and on our way home he realised he forgot it. So i called the hotel and a lady answered I told her my situation and she said if we "find it" will return a call to you and we can have it shipped to you if you give us your credit card number. This was in the morning that i called and i never heard a word back. So i wonder if she even bothered to tell anyone. Now i know generally when someone leaves something at the hotel and forgets it its basically tough luck but our room we checked out of wasnt even cleanded yet and we called so if I dont hear a call back which i should because they know that I know my sons expensive pillow is there. Customer service isnt just when one enters your hotel from the moment they check in to the moment they check out. Its about exceeding expectatins of your customers....in doing so maybe it will generate more poitives for your reviews verses all the negatives other than that id say its a good stay for your money. So please let me know if you kept my sons pillow that i called about on hold or in some lost and found or just tossed it in the trash. Thanks

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review of our Ames Fairfield Inn & Suites. We appreciate your comments. Let me apologize for someone not getting back with you immediately. This is certainly not the way we usually do business. Let me assure you the lack of a response will be addressed with staff. We take pride in our customer service and will work at resolving any poor performance. We do have the pillow that was mentioned and we are more than happy to ship it out.

If there is ever anything else that we can do for you please let us know right away. We appreciate your business and your loyalty to Marriott. We look forward to serving your lodging needs in the future.

Yukon, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We reserved a room at Fairfield Inn in Ames, Iowa a few days in advance for the night of August 8, 2012. We checked out on the morning of the 9th and went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa where we spent the next three nights (9th, 10th & 11th) at the Holiday Inn. When we returned home, we checked our credit card charges online and discovered that we had been charged $78.35 for the 8th, which was correct; however, there were two additional charges pending by the Fairfield Inn of $100 and $78.35 both dated August 11, 2012. After making numerous calls to the hotel, the $100 charge was finally removed but the second $78.35 charge is still there. I have talked to Gary, the manager, several times and he has repeatedly promised to correct this error made by his staff. Although he has been polite and apologetic, he has not been able to fix this problem. Not only has $78.35 been erroneously charged to my credit card, but that amount caused my charges to exceed my credit card limit and I will have to pay an over-limit charge to my credit card company through no fault of my own.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your response. I did speak to both the bank and the people with merchant services. They assure me that the only amount charged is the $78.35 and all other charges have been released. I was assured yesterday that there are no further charges pending. I certainly understand the concern you have but assure you that you have not been overcharged. If you do have any further issue, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Typical Fairfield Inn for the most part. Maybe even a little nicer. The staff had my package that was delivered a few days before ready to go when I arrived. I was upgraded to a nicer room due to my marriott status without having to mention it, which is uncommon in my experience. The girl at the front desk recommended a local place to eat and called to check to make sure everything was ok a few minutes after I got settled in. I would recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: I had a one bedroom suite, which was nice to separate work from sleep.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Sir,

Thank you very much for your response regarding our property. We work extremely hard here to supply supperior guest service and anytime one of our loyal guests gives us a great review we appreciate it. Our goal is to always top your previous hotel experience so be assured that we will continue to strive for excellence! We at Marriott appreciate you business and your loyalty and will continue to work to achieve Marriott's SPIRIT TO SERVE philosophy!

Warm Regards,
Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Avoid this property all the rooms are infested with bed bugs

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Gruffco
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I appreciate this response and understand the frustration. Please let me assure you that our property is checked regularly for bed bugs as well as other insects and we have been told that we are free of these. We use a respectable company, ORKIN, to accomplish this. I certainly apologize if an insect was found in the room but let me assure you that our property does not have Bed Bugs.

If you would like to discuss or let me know of any other issues, please do not hesitate to call and let me know.

Kind Regards,
Spencer, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

The first thing that we noticed was that the staff didn't seem very friendly or welcoming. You felt a bit like you were an uninvited guest at their home. The room that we stayed in was cold when we arrived and it never heated up. The hotel wasn't even a quarter full yet they put us in an "ajoining" room. We could hear every move our neighbors made. When our little girl cried at night I had to take her to the car. I think she was cold. The duvet seemed very thin. There was also clicking, banging and the sound of some machine all night.
We did not enjoy breakfast.
We moved to the Hilton Garden Inn. For less money. We loved it. See my review.
A few positives...
The property was very clean and well maintained.
Their pool is a bit small but quite warm and we enjoyed it very much!

Room Tip: We did not enjoy the room that was at the end of the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NannerSwan
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property in Ames. I was extremely disappointed to read about the problems you encountered. I assure you that we are going to work hard to improve and give the excellent service that guests such as yourself have come to expect from us. I assure you that your comments are taken very seriously and we are goingto strive to improve. Once again, thank you for your honest feedback.