“Great Place to stay can't say enough good things”

GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Ames
iowarose27
“Great Place to stay can't say enough good things”
Reviewed September 22, 2009

A friend and I stayed in the two bedroom handicap suite when we went to the sugarland concert in ames. I am in a wheelchair and a right leg amputee.The room was more then I expected as for those of us who know some rooms are not as handicap friendly as others. It had the fold down bench in the shower, the hand held shower head, grab bars in the bathroom where they should be, and was able to get around everywhere in the room, even in the kitchen and the bedrooms very spacious.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful with questions and directions. It was a great location close to the campus and shopping and resturants. If you do go to ames you have to eat at Hickory Park great place to eat.
The breakfast had lots of variety if you couldn't find something you liked you have to be very picky. It was very clean and I can't say enough good about this hotel. My friend and I plan on going back soon and taking our children as this room had plenty of room and a great value.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank iowarose27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Hotel and room were clean and well maintained. We enjoyed the ability to prepare our own meals in our room. The dishes, utensils and cookware were sufficent for simple cooking. Everything nearby (restaurants, discount retail stores, freeway). If I have to be critical, I was displeased with the free wireless internet service. It was infrequently connecting and frustrating. The hotel allows pets, so watch out for pet waste in the grass! I will stay here again if I ever go back to Iowa!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Roanoke, Indiana
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I was curious about this hotel from the various reviews and the details available on the hotel website. I couldn't understand how a hotel that appeared to be very nice on the surface could be so inexpensive.

The hotel has a nice appearance inside and out, as do the rooms. You really get a one bedroom suite with a nice living room and kitchen, and the wireless access works well. Front desk service was good, though not always visible. Rooms were clean, quiet, and secure.

I could see where the corners were cut to get the price, and most of them don't really matter to me. The minimal breakfast is no problem since I'm not a big breakfast eater (though I do appreciate a really good one). The cheap towels were somewhat annoying. The way too soft full size bed was a real problem as we struggled to find a comfortable sleeping position.

The hotel has a nice location just off Duff with several good restaurants within easy walking (Fuji steakhouse, pizza place, Applebee's, Hickory Park) and even more with a short drive.

Though I didn't have enough time to appreciate them, the workout facilities looked adequate with a treadmill, bike, and elliptical (though the resistance didn't work). The pool and hot tub were small, but good for family play.

If you don't mind the cut corners, this is a good place to stay. If those things matter, you should find another place.

• Liked — Spacious room
  • Disliked — Too soft bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed July 12, 2008

This is a very nice, clean hotel with a friendly staff and a better than average continental breakfast. I have stayed here twice and not been disappointed.

• Liked — Friendly staff and suite type rooms
  • Disliked — Exercise room was very hot
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Stayed here for a week while attending a training course. Great room for the price. Very clean and a pretty good breakfast with sausage, egg, waffles, cereal, pastries and bagels. Connected to an Old Chicago Restuarant to make it an easy dinner time meal. My room also had a microwave, full fridge, stove, and dishwaser. (even though the maid washed my dishes for me!). Great location too, real close to movie theater, shopping center, and a short drive to dowtown.

• Liked — Room size
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Iowa
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I was very unhappy with my stay at the Grandstay! I was part of a wedding block and found that the staff was not very happy with wedding block visitors. The night service and management was the worst!! The night manager took it upon himself to threaten all the young late comers as they entered the hotel, focusing mostly on the wedding party. He was arrogant and very rude, assuming that just because people were coming from a wedding meant they were going to be loud and obnoxious which was not the case! I have never felt unwanted at a hotel until that night, I would highly reccommend not staying there anytime, especially for weddings.

• Disliked — hotel staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Cedar Falls, IA
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We had many of our wedding guests stay at this hotel and strongly regret it!

When we told the hotel that we needed to reserve a block of rooms for a wedding, they directed us to their event coordinator. The room price that the coordinator gave as was $30/night more than what I was originally told by the front desk. We decided to call back another time and reserve the rooms at the front desk so that we could get the lower price (not telling them it was for a wedding).

Three weeks before our wedding the hotel found that we had bypassed their event coordinator and ironically lost our reservations. After several phone calls with the manager and digging up my confirmation numbers, I was finally able to get the original rooms reserved again but couldn't add anymore rooms (they claimed they were full).

To ensure that I reserved enough rooms, I asked my family to call the hotel and make their own reservations. I had found that the hotel was telling family members with the same last name as mine that there were no more rooms available. Other family had no problems getting rooms booked. We had been black listed for not booking the rooms with the event coordinator at a more expensive price.

Several calls were made to the front desk and the manager's office and I concluded that the whole staff was in on this little scheme! Everyone had a room the night of the wedding, but it was extra stress that was not needed! I will not be staying there again.

Stayed January 2007