$145
$128
HIExpress.com
$107
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $119/night.

$143
$130
AmericInn by Wyndham Ames(Ames)(Great Value!)
$87
  • Breakfast included
$140
$122
$109
$106
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $118/night.

Red Roof Inn Ames(Ames)(Great Value!)
$320
$97
Agoda.com
$139
$130
Priceline
All reviewsold chicagogrand stayone bedroom suitemini kitchenseparate bedroomsfull size refrigeratorrooms are greathickory parkhome away from homefold out couchdance competitionextra roommy sonlocation was perfectplace to stayiowa statehot breakfast
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I was curious about this hotel from the various reviews and the details available on the hotel website. I couldn't understand how a hotel that appeared to be very nice on the surface could be so inexpensive.

The hotel has a nice appearance inside and out, as do the rooms. You really get a one bedroom suite with a nice living room and kitchen, and the wireless access works well. Front desk service was good, though not always visible. Rooms were clean, quiet, and secure.

I could see where the corners were cut to get the price, and most of them don't really matter to me. The minimal breakfast is no problem since I'm not a big breakfast eater (though I do appreciate a really good one). The cheap towels were somewhat annoying. The way too soft full size bed was a real problem as we struggled to find a comfortable sleeping position.

The hotel has a nice location just off Duff with several good restaurants within easy walking (Fuji steakhouse, pizza place, Applebee's, Hickory Park) and even more with a short drive.

Though I didn't have enough time to appreciate them, the workout facilities looked adequate with a treadmill, bike, and elliptical (though the resistance didn't work). The pool and hot tub were small, but good for family play.

If you don't mind the cut corners, this is a good place to stay. If those things matter, you should find another place.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2008

This is a very nice, clean hotel with a friendly staff and a better than average continental breakfast. I have stayed here twice and not been disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Stayed here for a week while attending a training course. Great room for the price. Very clean and a pretty good breakfast with sausage, egg, waffles, cereal, pastries and bagels. Connected to an Old Chicago Restuarant to make it an easy dinner time meal. My room also had a microwave, full fridge, stove, and dishwaser. (even though the maid washed my dishes for me!). Great location too, real close to movie theater, shopping center, and a short drive to dowtown.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I was very unhappy with my stay at the Grandstay! I was part of a wedding block and found that the staff was not very happy with wedding block visitors. The night service and management was the worst!! The night manager took it upon himself to threaten all the young late comers as they entered the hotel, focusing mostly on the wedding party. He was arrogant and very rude, assuming that just because people were coming from a wedding meant they were going to be loud and obnoxious which was not the case! I have never felt unwanted at a hotel until that night, I would highly reccommend not staying there anytime, especially for weddings.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We had many of our wedding guests stay at this hotel and strongly regret it!

When we told the hotel that we needed to reserve a block of rooms for a wedding, they directed us to their event coordinator. The room price that the coordinator gave as was $30/night more than what I was originally told by the front desk. We decided to call back another time and reserve the rooms at the front desk so that we could get the lower price (not telling them it was for a wedding).

Three weeks before our wedding the hotel found that we had bypassed their event coordinator and ironically lost our reservations. After several phone calls with the manager and digging up my confirmation numbers, I was finally able to get the original rooms reserved again but couldn't add anymore rooms (they claimed they were full).

To ensure that I reserved enough rooms, I asked my family to call the hotel and make their own reservations. I had found that the hotel was telling family members with the same last name as mine that there were no more rooms available. Other family had no problems getting rooms booked. We had been black listed for not booking the rooms with the event coordinator at a more expensive price.

Several calls were made to the front desk and the manager's office and I concluded that the whole staff was in on this little scheme! Everyone had a room the night of the wedding, but it was extra stress that was not needed! I will not be staying there again.

Stayed: January 2007