$173
$107
$268
$150
$129
Red Roof Inn Ames(Ames)(Great Value!)
$100
$130
$122
AmericInn by Wyndham Ames(Ames)(Great Value!)
$87
  • Breakfast included
$169
Gateway Hotel
All reviewsold chicagogrand stayone bedroom suitemini kitchenseparate bedroomsfull size refrigeratorrooms are greathickory parkhome away from homefold out couchdance competitionextra roommy sonlocation was perfectplace to stayiowa statehot breakfast
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We had many of our wedding guests stay at this hotel and strongly regret it!

When we told the hotel that we needed to reserve a block of rooms for a wedding, they directed us to their event coordinator. The room price that the coordinator gave as was $30/night more than what I was originally told by the front desk. We decided to call back another time and reserve the rooms at the front desk so that we could get the lower price (not telling them it was for a wedding).

Three weeks before our wedding the hotel found that we had bypassed their event coordinator and ironically lost our reservations. After several phone calls with the manager and digging up my confirmation numbers, I was finally able to get the original rooms reserved again but couldn't add anymore rooms (they claimed they were full).

To ensure that I reserved enough rooms, I asked my family to call the hotel and make their own reservations. I had found that the hotel was telling family members with the same last name as mine that there were no more rooms available. Other family had no problems getting rooms booked. We had been black listed for not booking the rooms with the event coordinator at a more expensive price.

Several calls were made to the front desk and the manager's office and I concluded that the whole staff was in on this little scheme! Everyone had a room the night of the wedding, but it was extra stress that was not needed! I will not be staying there again.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank Tae123
Reviewed November 6, 2007

This hotel was visually a very nice looking hotel. We were impressed with the exterior, lobby, and the way our room looked. Unfortunately the hotel seems to be built on the cheap. Absolutely no soundproofing between rooms or between the bedroom and the living room. Everything seemed not quiet as nice as it should have. It wasn’t a bad stay, but the quality of the hotel did not match what it looked like. It is a very nice location.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WI-Rick
Reviewed September 9, 2007

We stayed for two nights at Grandstay during a cyclone football game. Great price for great hotel rooms. Staff was overly accomodating and friendly. THe breakfast was fresh and had a variety of choices far beyond the usual. The rooms were neat clean and stylish with ample room for a extended or short stay. Nice pool and hottub as well. I have stayed in a number of places in Ames and would say this was the best experience.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank big12fan
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Stayed only one night at this hotel and found the hotel to be very nice. This is more of a long term stay hotel but for just one nice it fit the bill very nicely. I stayed in the featured 'loft' room on the 3rd floor which was directly over the main lobby entrance. This room featured a higher ceiling which gave the room a nice spacious feel, even though the room was very spacious already.

The bed was very nice to sleep in - the pillows were ok - I've had better pillows, but there weren't terrible. The room was clean and had a dvd player with the tv. Two windows which opened . The kitchen area had a full size refrigerator, microwave and two-burner stove and a dishwasher which was full of clean glasses and dinnerware.

The lobby area was very nice with a grand staircase going ot the 2nd floor. The dining area on the lobby had a nice selection of breakfast items with some awesome mini-glazed cinnamin rolls !! Only change I would suggest for the dining area was to put a larger flat panel tv in the dining room instead of hte regular sized tv.

The hotel is right next door to an Old Chicago restaurant - but if you don't like this there is a good selectoin of mainstream restaurants within blocks - Applebees, etc. The hotel was quiet at night and there is also a small pool and hot tub on the 1st floor.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mike-mpls
Reviewed July 17, 2006

This hotel was very very nice. There was plenty of room for my family of four, with a separate bedroom, sitting room, kitchen, and bathroom. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was very clean and I was surprised to see Bath and Body Works toileteries. We stayed here during the week of the Iowa Games, so it was rather crowded with shirtless boys running around at all hours of the night. My only complaint was the lack of selection at their breakfast. There was basically waffles, yogurt, cereal, and bagels. There was little fruit and little kids drinks. However, the place was rather crowded, so I understand.

• Stayed: July 2006