“Terrible service”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Ames
La Mesa, California
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

I prepaid, booked my regular room months in advance only to be told when I checked in that the only room available was a handicap room. Unless you are handicapped this is not the ideal configuration. I was told if I did not like it I could go elsewhere. I stayed due the fact I had prepaid the room. The next day I spoke to a gal at the front desk who said yes there were other rooms available but if I wanted to change I had to move out by 10AM and could not move back into a room until 3PM. REMEMBER I HAD PREPAID my stay. I was supposed to pack up all my things put them back in my rental car and come back at 3PM. UNACCEPTABLE! First the man lied about other rooms not being available, then I was supposed to fully move out of my current room and be in "limbo" until check in time at 3PM. I will never be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
I'm concerned about the lack of service and mix up of rooms you experienced at our hotel a year ago. The degree of service you experienced is unacceptable, and please be assured that many things have changed in the hotel the last year including staff and management . It's unfortunate you had a bad experience. Please accept my sincere apology.

We would like to demonstrate the true quality of our service by extending to you a one-night complimentary stay, subject to availability. At your convenience, please contact me directly to arrange your reservation; and simply present this letter to the front desk staff upon check-in.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. That's our goal.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Alicia Roufs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Montpelier, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

Excellent, if your in Ames, stay in this hotel! Staff makes you feel like your at home! Will stay here again as soon as I can!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Tommayhew
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. I am very glad that your stay was a positive one. It's guests like you that make our jobs worthwhile. I hope you will be back soon to the Grandstay Ames. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Gulfport, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

This property is in a Great location. Walking distance to everything - Kmart, movies, and restaurants ( Red lobster, Applebees, Old Chicago,and Japanese steakhouse.)
The staff is like family.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. We strive to make every guest feel welcomed and at home and I am very happy we were able to do so. We hope you will be able to make a trip back to Ames very soon. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day!
Miramar, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

Centrally located, spacious room with equipped kitchenette. Clean rooms. Bad pillows, average bed. The worse part about this 2nd time I stayed here was the noise neighbor had next door. The walls that divide the rooms are SO THIN that I could hear the next door neighbor for 3 nights in a row coughing ALL NIGHT. that was awful. No gym available but they give you options.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Maziel A
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
I'm concerned about the bad night you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. Thank you for taking the time to supply us feedback. It’s disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology.

Please know that we take concerns of our guest very seriously and will do our best to prevent problems from recurring. Therefore, I'd like you to give us another chance by staying with us again during your next visit to this area. I can offer you a 20% discount next time you stay. Just call and ask for the General Manager when you book. Thank you again for your time.

Alicia Roufs-General Manager
Manchester UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

Taking my son to visit Iowa State University and this one appeared to be the closest. Usual sort of hotel of this nature and clean rooms. Corridors in these places always look like they have been decorated by someone stuck in the early 80s. Friendly welcome. Rooms were clean but small and sheets and blankets (why not duvets?). Beds were not the most comfortable. Free Wi Fi.
In the morning we took a look at the breakfast but it was appalling. 2 tables for about 20 people. I tried the round omellette thing, but could only take one bite. We left and found a Starbucks. Would I stay here again? I think i would try somewhere else.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames, responded to this review, June 4, 2010
Dear Loluk,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear some of our services did not meet your expectations. I am concerned about the lack of dining space that you mentioned. In fact we do have 6 breakfast tables, all of which accommodate up to 3-4 guests. We also have a lobby area for overflow with very comfortable furniture and tables for our morning rush. The weekend you were staying, we were full and had many guests in the lobby at the same time that morning. Although we cannot control this, we are sorry that it was an unpleasant experience. We serve several hot items on our gourmet express breakfast. We will take a look at the item you mentioned to be sure it can be improved for our future guests. Thanks for your comments, and we hope that you will give us another try in the future. –General Manager, Ames GrandStay Hotel.
DAVENPORT, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

Enjoyed staying here. We stayed here before and have already planned another stay. Very clean and the kitchenette was very well furnished. Was able to make a dish to take to a cookout easily.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

The general quality of the hotel is OK and everything you expect from a 2* accommodation. The hotel is let down by unhelpful staff and their very loud air conditioner (it vibrates the whole room when on). Staying on the ground floor meant that you wouldn't want your window open due to the noise outside that starts very early in the morning. The desk in the room is large and well proportioned but close to the fridge which is also noisy. If you are a deep sleeper and don't mind staying in a noisy environment this hotel is fine.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Ames, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
I am so sorry to hear that your stay here was loud and disruptive. I am more concerned that the staff was not able to assist you in the concern and find a remedy for you. Please accept my sincere apology and I would love to hear from you on the more specifics ways the staff could have been more helpful so that I will have the opportunity to review this and make sure that none of our valued guests have that experience. We take pride in taking care of our guests and if we let you down then I want to make it right! I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your feedback. Sincerely, Fredrick Killian GM Ames GrandStay Hotel.