“Hidden Secret in Ames”

Dublin Bay Irish Pub & Grill
Ranked #5 of 194 Restaurants in Ames
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: For the Irish, a Pub is far more than a bar… a Pub is a community gathering place – an overgrown “family room” where members of the neighborhood meet to share the latest news, laugh, and ofttimes solve the world’s problems. At an Irish Pub, the idea of being a “regular” is, well, a bit of a lunacy… one can no more be a regular in a Pub than a regular in one’s own home! For the Irish, the Pub is a home – not for its beer, or stout, or libations, but for its environment of family… comfort… and safety from the stormy rains that grow the Irish countryside emerald green in grass and clover. For a traveler, the attraction of the Pub is the Irish philosophy that there are no strangers, but rather friends not yet met. To enter a Pub is to drop by a friend’s home… the greeting is warm and genuine, the service is gracious, the experience is relaxing and fun.
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Been to Ames many times, but haven't been to Dublin Bay before until this last weekend. The outside of the building looks very dark and I wasn't sure if it was a functioning restaurant or not on earlier drive by this building, however, it is alive and going strong inside. I had the Jerk Ahi Tuna and it was not very spicy (I could have used a bit more), but I won't complain as it was luscious. There were five people in our party, we all ordered different items and each of us loved them! We will definitely be back soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2012

I had the bang & mash (irish sausge w potatos) I love mine, the soda bread is very good. Hub and son both got the Lamb Stew and neither liked theirs, so I had a taste, not sure if that is too much turmeric (or some such spice) that simply overpowered the whole soup. Couldn't taste any lamb, not good.

I was disappointed because I loved mine and would like to try some other items they have but 2 against one, we probably won't be back.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

We have been here many times. I like the chicken planks however, sometimes they are burnt and other times they are spot on. Black and tans are great with their chipotle mayo. Make sure they are brown and not under cooked as they get rushed in the kitchen sometimes. Hubby loves their burgers and the fries are the best in Ames. Beers are overpriced however, they have good happy hour specials. We so not like traditional Irish fair and just come for the burgers and chieken planks. Awesome ambiance!! We will come again.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Love to go there when we get a hankering for Irish food. Great menu selection and options for the kiddos.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

As the title says...... We enjoy the Irish pub atmosphere, so we picked the Dublin Bay as our choice for dinner that night. We didn't have the tipical Irish food, but what we did have were a couple of very tasty pasta dishes. We enjoyed our waitress, she was friendly & fun. Liked the decor and old photos on the walls. Of course the Guinness & Jameson Irish whiskey were hits. Would go again if and when we get back to Ames. Seemed like a very fun place for the younger crowd and those of us that think young. :)