“This is our go to restaurant!”
Review of Chinese Home Style Cooking - CLOSED

Chinese Home Style Cooking
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This is always the first shout out when we say what's should we eat? They have all of the usual favorites and the true Asian cooking that they do so very well. This is a great value and recommend the bowls. Family run and great service.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Ordered 3 entrees: a mongolian trio, cashew chicken and orange chicken. All were good.

Made fresh, did not taste like "mall food".
Generous portions, sauces homemade
Meats were good, not artifical or "pressed" tasting; shrimp flavorful
Made to order at counter, food brought out to tables

Things to keep in mind: Limited parking, cash only, small dining area, close to campus, casual atmosphere.

Our meals were under $7 each and if you want something fancier or full service, then there are plenty of other places to go. However, if atmosphere/ambiance is not a high priority and you'd like to try something new, I would suggest patronizing this locally owned, authentic business at least once.

We were unsure of the tipping policy since we ordered at the counter, but - left a tip anyway as someone did bring our meals out to us.

Would go back again sometime.

1  Thank Victorious1203
Reviewed October 1, 2010

The price for the amount of food is ridiculous cheap. The flavors: OUT OF THIS WORLD. Super delicious food, not salty and very flavorful. You even get free hot tea with your meal unlimited refills. Totally recommended. If you are in Ames, you HAVE TO go and try it yourself. I have been in many Chinese rest in USA from the most expensive to the cheapest you can imagine, and this place is the closest to real Chinese you can have. The restaurants in very very low key with dated decoration (cheap looking, nothing especial at all), you enter and order in line like in a fast food restaurant, then you sit down in wherever table you find/want. I guess the lack of decoration is what makes possible to keep the prices so low, there is only 1 waiter, but you really don't need one. You serve your own water, your own tea, so why will you need a waiter for?.

2  Thank Maziel A
Reviewed September 14, 2010

This restaurant caters to 'dine-in' and 'take-out' so service is usually handling phone calls and walk-in customers. The menu is diverse, which include appetizers, soups, and many drinks. The service is very nice and courteous as they take my order and always whisk away unused plates as soon as I finish them. I usually order the Schezuan chicken, but love that they have tofu and other vegetarian options available. I prefer the spicy dishes to the non-spicy, and they always deliver. If I request extra spice, it isn't for the faint hearted.

They offer free cold water and hot tea. Chopsticks, soup spoons, and silverware sit next to the cups. The food is a great value for the price, about $7 for a plate with the option of white or fried rice. Their portions are generous for the price. The interior is not decorated fantastically, but it is always clean. It would be nice to see some more Chinese art in there, since it is a fairly small place and would be easy to redecorate with a new picture or two.

I love the food and how the staff is always helpful in explaining new dishes to me. The only real drawback would be the 8 or 9 tables, and when it is busy in there, I have had to wait for a table to finish before I could sit down (which has only happened once out of the MANY times I've visited in the past five years). Overall, I would definitely recommend someone to give this place a shot.

Reviewed February 5, 2010

Been getting take-out from here for several years. The food is wonderful and the owners are even better.