“Great place to eat in Central Iowa”

Hickory Park Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 194 Restaurants in Ames
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Haven't been to Hickory Park in years but I'm glad I stopped back to have some lunch this past weekend. Beat the lunch rush by getting there before noon. Only had to wait 5 minutes. The hostess and server were nice and friendly. Prices are affordable and the food is great. If you like Bar-B-Que, this is the place to go. Enjoy!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

It is WORTH waiting for, but the long lines can be daunting. It can be daunting to see all the people in the entry waiting for tables, but it does go fast and is worth it. If you love BBQ foods and cheese balls this is your place. People come from all over to enjoy this unusual place...If you still have room...the ice cream menu is endless!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place gets rave reviews from lots of people but it has not impressed me since they moved to the new building. It has good food, but nothing great, and it is way to noisy in the new building. If you are there with friends or business associates you will barely be able to communicate, the place is to noisy to carry on a conversation. As a result I am just not happy with the restaurant.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

There's a reason Hickory Park is larger than many airports, and still seems perpetually mobbed; that's most of what one needs to know. I was there recently, and enjoyed my visit, though I can offer one criticism/suggestion.

Granted that this is obviously a family restaurant, BUT if one is going to have a beer and wine list, I think that in this day and age it's reasonable to aim a little higher than a handful of macrobrewery standbys. A roadside bar in the rural midwest will often have Fat Tire on draft; Hickory Park can do a bit better than Bud and MGD in bottles.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My in-laws all went to Iowa State to of course this was one of the places they wanted me to go. It did not disappoint. We only waited about 10 minutes and then was greeted by a very friendly waitress. The sweet potato fries were excellent. I had the pork sandwich and was superb. I am from Kansas City and the BBQ sauce came close to rivaling my all-time favorite, Gates. Definitely want to come back here again. The price was also very appealing.

Been to Hickory Park Restaurant? Share your experiences!