“Love local pizza”

Great Plains Sauce & Dough CO
Ranked #3 of 188 Restaurants in Ames
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Mantorville
“Love local pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I had heard of Great Plains, but this was our first stop. Great atmosphere. Reasonable wait time for pizza, but no wait for a booth. Staff are friendly. Variety of crusts. The thick wheat crust was tasty but heavier than I would prefer. Glad I had it. I see from other reviews we were supposed to dip the crust in honey. No one told us and no honey was provided. Oh well. I was so stuffed it didn't matter. Liked the lighter white crust too. Will definitely be back to try the others.

• Visited September 2013

sponge rocks, florida
“Big slices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Big thick slices of pizza with potato, whole wheat, or regular crust. Popular Ames restaurant. When you are done with your wheat slice you can have "dessert" by putting honey on the big crust.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank riakeinert
Earlington, Kentucky
“Great Place for Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Some of my employees took me here for lunch, and I'm glad they did. A cozy place in the historic Main Street area of Ames that offers a different kind of pizza. Their hallmark is a whole wheat crust option that is extremely thick on the edges. The idea is to eat the pizza and dip the crust in honey. I had several pizza slices on the lunch special, including the white thin crust, and it was all great! Lunch was approximately 8 dollars, and the service was very efficient. Not a conduicive atmosphere for a true working lunch (small and a bit loud), but definitely worth the stop!

• Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“Different kind of pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband wanted to show me around his university. We spent a night in the area. He had to get back here. He said needed to put Honey on his bones. I had no idea what that really meant. The pizza dough is nothing I have seen before. It is huge on the edges and you eat it to the edges. Then you put honey on the edge for desert. Something new and fun to do. Overall ok pizza. The love to put cheese on it. Not overly greasy as pizza sometimes can be. Beer on draft and free refills on soda. Medium was more than enough for the two of us. Nice place in downtown. Would recommend if you want to try a new pizza experience. All the staff is obviously college age adults.

• Visited April 2013
“First timer, excellent pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Decided to try a new pizza establishment and heard good things about this place and was not let down! The pizza was excellent and the crust was outstanding.

Sat downstairs under the upstairs floor and it was loud. For those of you who have kids, please keep them quiet and don't let them jump up and down on the floor, it becomes very loud when you are sitting on the main floor.

I would recommend this place to anyone and I have at numerous pizza places and I would mark this place at the top of the list.