“Way to kill time near the stadium, but a bit pricey admission”
Review of Reiman Gardens

Reiman Gardens
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Ames
More attraction details
Owner description: Enchanting, 14-acre garden with new display annually; inside find a live, exotic butterfly exhibit and gardens that change seasonally; private rentals available.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Iowa State is renown for it's beautiful park-like campus and wonderful public art. Reiman Gardens however doesn't live up to the standards of the rest of the ISU campus. It is a small garden shoehorned between 2 busy streets near the football stadium, there is a butterfly wing and very small indoor conservatory, $8 admission.

2  Thank HaveSuitcaseWillTrvl

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stopped here on a whim because I needed a rest/stretch point while on a driving trip. Easy to find, as it is on the ISU campus. I have a garden membership elsewhere - Reiman honors recip membership with my home garden, so I got in free! The first thing to do is the butterfly exhibit right off the entrance - small, but fun and a good variety of butterflies that were quite active. I went on a Sunday at 4:00, so I only had 2 hours to explore. Someone faster than me might be able to do it all in that time, but as I like to dawdle and gawk, I did not see all of the areas. The conservatory is small compared to others I've visited, but still nice.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Toured the garden on August 12 with my ISU daughter and had a very good time. Garden was larger than I thought it would be. Lots of walking in order to see all of the different flowers and exhibits. Butterfly exhibit was nice but somewhat humid. Had a great time and would recommend to family and friends. Students are free, adults are $8.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

A wonderful place to get away from the stress of everyday life. Butterfly house, seasonal flowers, outdoor sculptures, a campanile, wandering paths with plenty of benches. Take a camera! There are wheelchairs/scooters on offer, so limited mobility need not be an issue. In addition to the outdoor grounds, there are indoor climate-controlled displays, so this would be a nice destination in the winter as well.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We are always looking for something interesting to do when visiting family in Des Moines. Reiman Gardens is a short 30 minute ride to Iowa State U in Ames and well worth the trip. There is a wide variety of flowers and trees, the highlight being the lily pond. Our mother has limited mobility so we used one of the complimentary motorized scooters provided by the local Rotary Club.

1  Thank jjordan370

Been to Reiman Gardens? Share your experiences!