“Good hotel for price, was suprised by the nice extras!”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Went with my daughter for ISU orientation and received discounted rate for ISU parents. The room was nice with comfortable beds. The frig was alittle small, couldn't fit 2 liter bottles upright. The light over the beds needed a good cleaning and the bathroom exhaust fan was really loud but over all was pleased with the room. The breakfast was OK but nothing special. All the tables needed cleaned both mornings and they weren't prompt about refilling things. The really nice suprise were the snacks and wine served all evening after 5 pm. The cookies were fresh and warm! Would difinitely recommend it and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed June 17, 2009

I almost didn't stay here because the reviews said the rooms were clean but tiny. The clerk was extremely polite & helpful and showed us a room, it was VERY comfortable, 2 queen beds with space all around them, a window seat that was cushioned to read in, a large flat screen TV with all the channels, a refrigerator & microwave! It also has 5 routers for strongest signal so my son & I can both be on our laptops, and there was a hard wired computer downstairs that I could print from! Elevators were fast & smooth, the room was spotless, perfectly temperatured & bright & cheery, and quiet too! I would certainly stay again, in fact we will station from here for a few days to see the area!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2008

My husband and I needed a room for only one night on our recent trip to Ames, IA. We didn't have time to take advantage of a pool or the need for an ironing board or other extras. We just wanted a clean, comfortable place to stay not far from Iowa State University. So why pay more and get extras you don't need?

This hotel offers very nice but inexpensive rooms, just what we were looking for. Everything was spotlessly clean and well maintained. Admittedly the room was a little small and the bed only a queen, but I had read the prior reviews and expected that.

The deluxe continental breakfast was great. Plenty of choices such as bagels, sweet rolls, pancake and sausage on a stick, cereal, several types of bread for toast and choices of juice. And the basket of fresh baked cookies at the check-in desk was a nice touch at all hours of the day.

We'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We've stayed at a half-dozen Microtels over the years. This one was the best for a number of reasons:
1. It had an elevator--great for those with mobility impairments or tons of luggage. No other Microtel we've stayed at had one

2. The rooms were spacious and immaculately clean

3. The TV, toilet, shower and radio all worked

4. Front desk staff was helpful--not gushing in warmth, but not disinterested automatons either

5. Breakfast area was clean, bright, had a flat screen TV and had the usual continental breakfast assortment

The only issues: 1. Walls are thin, you can hear louder noises; 2. no pool or hot tube--but what do you expect for a low-priced room?

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ICB
Reviewed January 16, 2008

I really enjoyed my stay. I was there for 7 days and felt like I had a little home away from home. I couldn't wait to get back at night and then loved waking up and going to get my morning breakfast which I brought up to have in bed. Its not a fancy place but its got nice clean pretty rooms and good service.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2007

This property has a good location on South 16th St, near the interchange of I-35 and US-30 (exit from US-30). There are several hotels in a group here, but surprisingly little else. We have stayed at the Microtel in the past and it has always been fine. This stay, we had a room with a single queen-size bed, although rooms with two queen beds and suites were available. Since we wouldn't be in the room much, we went cheap.

The room was tiny, even by hotel standards. It was dorm-room sized. But it was quite comfortable and had everything we needed: bed, place to put our stuff, TV, bathroom. The bathroom was almost too small. The sink was placed outside, with the toilet and shower inside, but the door to the toilet opened into the sink area, so a person had to be careful when opening the door, just in case someone was standing by the sink. The fan in the bathroom worked well but was as loud as a jet engine. There was also a heat lamp in the ceiling that was much quieter. The shower had one of those curved curtain rods that make the shower seem larger than it really is, and that worked great. I hate the way most shower curtains billow into the shower stall when I'm showering and this one didn't have that problem at all. Although the provided toiletries were small and not plentiful, there was enough to go around and my husband reported that the lotion, in particular, was very good.

Check in and check out were very easy, even though we had not made reservations in advance. There were free chocolate chip cookies available to guests in the evening and the staff was friendly and efficient. Breakfast in the morning was not frilly but there was plenty of food and several choices, from microwavable pancakes and sausage to cold cereal in a variety of flavors, to fruit and yogurt.

The one problem we had was that our toilet was clogged which we did not notice until we were ready for bed quite late in the evening. We decided not to worry about it until morning and we informed the staff on our way to the free breakfast. I think they went right up and fixed it while we ate, but it turned out that we didn't use our bathroom again so I don't know for sure. We also noticed that the shower drained slowly, but it was not really a problem.

I used the free internet computer in the lobby and it seemed new and well-taken care of; not a beat-up old machine with sticky kids' fingerprints all over it. I didn't see anyone else use it while we were there, but there was free internet in all the rooms so I suppose most people brought their own computers.

This hotel was about $20 cheaper than the one next door and others on the same street. It provided everything we needed, which was mainly just a place to sleep for a single night, so I would highly recommend it for other travelers like us. With kids or for people staying longer in town, it would probably be a little cramped.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple