“Will stay here again.”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Ames
Reviewed October 7, 2012

It was our 4th trip to Ames. We went to hotels.com and did not find this hotel but we found it off another site in the wyndham chain. Having stayed at another microtel before we thought we give it a try. It was a great value and great place to stay in our price range. We've tried several other hotels in the same price range and where less satisfied with them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Experience was Great! Front desk was matter of fact without a greeting. Drove over 500 mile that day and counter personnel stated no check ins until 3:00 PM as if all the rooms were finished at 3:00 PM exactly each and every day. I stay at over 125 Wyndham rewards a year and most greet you with a positive greeting and will let you check in early. She was quite rude, but all else was terrific.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have stayed at this girl on 4 occasions, and have always been impressed. Very clean and quiet rooms, very friendly staff. Breakfast is well presented a a nice selection.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Finally, a nice clean place to stay for a decent price! The rooms aren't large, but that's okay. All we need is a clean room, with a comfortable bed and a good clean bathroom. We got it all, including nice linens, a nice big TV and a good breakfast, with great coffee.
We've stayed there twice, and we'll stay there again.
The staff is very nice and accommodating. The only thing we noticed that could use a little help is the lobby and hall carpeting, it looks a little threadbare and stretched. Everything else was great! We hope all Microtels are as nice as this one. We've stayed in places that cost twice as much or more and were very disappointed. Thank you Microtel, Ames Iowa.
jgodi@ntin.net

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had a great stay with Microtel. Within the first 10 minutes of being in the room our 2 year old son discovered how to insert shiny objects into the electric outlets. I made a quick call to the front desk to ask in they had any outlet covers. They did a check around and called back a few minutes later to let me know that they didn't have any, but that they sent someone to the store to pick some up. The outlet covers were installed in our room in under a couple of hours.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've worked and stayed in lots of hotels and I can spot a race to the bottom hotel when I see one. From the outside, the hotel is very nice, even once you walk in the door your first thought is that this a nice place. Once you get into things though the flaws really start to show.

I arrived about an hour before check in, the parking lot was dead. I asked the front desk if I could check in early and the answer was a resounding no. They stated they had a full house the night before so no rooms were ready. I inquired when my room would be ready and their response was 'in about an hour'. A 70+ room hotel and no rooms ready an hour before check-in? I am confident someone just didn't want to bother.

Anywho we leave and come back, all is good. Walking down the hall there's a strange smell that permeated. It's not like cleaning products, but not too far off. Maybe bad food? I don't know, but it went away or I got used to it after a while.

In my room things were alright, basic room just as I expected. I didn't care for the large mirrors all along one wall. It screamed voyeuristic or hidden camera to me. The breakfast is started low-end hotel fare, nothing special, nothing horrid. Staff was kinda cold to speak to in the morning, no smiles out of anyone. Woke up both nights with ants all over the table next to the TV. I didn't really appreciate that, even though they weren't much of a nuisance. It's clear this hotel caters to very blue collar workers. There was a set of lawn chairs on the side of the building with about a dozen beer cans next to the door daily.

All this being said, would I stay there again? The answer is probably not, but that's only because there were 5 other hotels within a stone's throw of this one. I think I could spend a little more and get better. If they were full though I wouldn't think twice about coming back here, just with my lowered expectations intact.

1  Thank MICHAEL H
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel was very nice for a budget hotel and I would stay here again and recommend to a friend. The hotel was quiet, clean, bed comfortable and the staff was friendly. This is not a fancy hotel by anyone's standards BUT I was quite happy with my stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business